Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997GT3 vs 997TT - track car choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
hughp3 is infamous around these parts
997GT3 vs 997TT - track car choice?

I have not seen a thread yet where the driver ability on car choice is as important as the choice of car. I am going to buy one of the 2. So far I have had opinions from a respectable tuner that unless I am a semi professional driver my track days will be much less pucker prone in a 997TT than a GT3. With that said I do want a track car. My experience is race school (road atlanta, kart school Jim Hall) and about 15 track days in a 07 Wrx Sti (470WHP, suspension, brakes etc.) Is the GT3 really that scary at 8/10's and above (and it had better out run the Sti)? Again I will buy one of the two. thanks much - Hugh

Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
For the track hands down the GT3 will be faster.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:46 AM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
No contest the GT3 is the choice for track days if you want to learn to drive. If you go with the TT, you will have to learn again from the start when you finally make the right choice. And then if you are really addicted, you will want to buy a GT3 Cup car !

Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I know the natural tendency is to say GT3, but I guess I would also mention it depends on the track. Many shorter tracks will favor the technically agile GT3. Other tracks will favor big HP cars like the 997TT. Best example I can give is Blackhawk Farms versus Road America...

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:11 PM
jmmitias is infamous around these parts
I've owned multiple versions of the GT3 and the Turbos and I am here to tell you that the 997GT3 is the greatest vehicle I have ever driven or owned. It is very forgiving on the track and with your experience already you can handle this car. The opinions you are getting come from the previous versions which could be a little tricky but not the current versions. In fact, I will make the case that the Turbos are too softly sprung and the transitions from understeer to oversteer are more disconcerting. Also, the brakes don't hold up as well as the GT3 especially dive-bombing turn 10 at Road Atlanta at 160!

This, to me, is a slam dunk for the GT3.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the responses so far guys. I will not run much at Road Atlanta which high horsepower, mostly will be a short 1.5 mile rural track that is very busy, very tight. So is the car seriously tail happy vs. the TT? One more: moding a turbo car is so easy. However If I wanted bit more power from the GT3 what could I expect without going into the engine?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Ahh jmmitias thats what I am looking for! Cool. I will see how many more folks will chime in. Opeions on mods. Reflash, intakes, exhaust, cam timing, cutom dyno tune? I have had 4 custom dyno tunes to the STi. Made massive difference.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
With the turbo you will always be carrying 500 more lbs. It can be modded to handle better but it's expensive. The GT3 is a more natural track car that people still mod. The boost is of course only in the turbo but the new RS is sporting 450HP. Try the clutch in both before you buy.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:48 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hughp3
I have not seen a thread yet where the driver ability on car choice is as important as the choice of car. I am going to buy one of the 2. So far I have had opinions from a respectable tuner that unless I am a semi professional driver my track days will be much less pucker prone in a 997TT than a GT3. With that said I do want a track car. My experience is race school (road atlanta, kart school Jim Hall) and about 15 track days in a 07 Wrx Sti (470WHP, suspension, brakes etc.) Is the GT3 really that scary at 8/10's and above (and it had better out run the Sti)? Again I will buy one of the two. thanks much - Hugh
Thanks for the responses so far guys. I will not run much at Road Atlanta which high horsepower, mostly will be a short 1.5 mile rural track that is very busy, very tight. So is the car seriously tail happy vs. the TT? One more: moding a turbo car is so easy. However If I wanted bit more power from the GT3 what could I expect without going into the engine?
Neither car is very tail happy with the proper alignment, unless you lift. If you're looking to be the "fastest" guy out there neither car is a proper choice. If you're looking for the purest form of track enjoyment in a road car the GT3 is far and above the rest.

]

Old 10-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Colby - i go maybe 4 to 6 times per year. over the long haul I have tracked 2 cars. A 76 road race camaro I personally built, 500whp, lexan, Willwood GN3 brakes, ATL cell, full cage etc. Fun but ancient however it was friendly at throttle lift and a blast at power on oversteer. My current car is a very modded STi at 470WHP. Took a bit of getting used to 4wd, cannot rotate like a rear wheel car. I am not a SCCA champion but not a novice either.

Looks like the opinion thread is the GT3.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Colby - i go maybe 4 to 6 times per year. over the long haul I have tracked 2 cars. A 76 road race camaro I personally built, 500whp, lexan, Willwood GN3 brakes, ATL cell, full cage etc. Fun but ancient however it was friendly at throttle lift and a blast at power on oversteer. My current car is a very modded STi at 470WHP. Took a bit of getting used to 4wd, cannot rotate like a rear wheel car. I am not a SCCA champion but not a novice either.

It sounds like the GT3 is right up your alley. Depending on how modded your STi is, the GT3 may not be faster, but it sounds like that may be a wash anyways. Even so, the GT3 requires a driver involvement and attention far above that of a Turbo or STi. It feels much more connected to the road, the chassis, steering input, throttle response, etc, is so much more responsive and accordingly much more enjoyable and rewarding to drive.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:49 PM

And FWIW, I've owned a highly modded 996 Turbo (Brembos, BBS's, Moton's, half cage, etc), and while it was a blast to drive it was no where near as rewarding as the GT3 was. I also own a stock 06 STi but I'm sure that doesnt compare very well to yours.

O' and once you learn how to drive the GT3 (dont lift, smoother inputs, trail brake, etc) it's not hard to drive consistently at 8/10ths. Just make sure you get a proper alignment, good tires, and rear toe links before you take her out. I personally wouldnt go out w/o a half cage, 6 pt harness, FE, seats, and a HANS device, but to each his own. The first three are absolutely essential, the last couple some would argue are not as necessary.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:53 PM
M3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud of
just check the lap times on the Nordschleife for both cars..if you pick the turbo at some point youll reach the car's max potential if you havent reach yours first. with the GT3 you'll still have more margin for sure IMO

Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
I've got about 35 track days on my TT including 21 this year. I think when you're talking about GT3s there is a pretty material difference between a 996 and 997 version. Most think the 996 is much more hard core given it has no traction control, PASM or PSM. 997GT3 is a superb car and I am lucky to have driven it on the track as well. That said, I am also an advocate of a lightly modded TT like mine for track work. With springs, sways a few other bits and a good alignment a TT is a pretty killer track device. Yes, it is ~400lbs more than a GT3 and the redline is 2000 RPM lower and it will never be as "sharp". However, with the torque and traction the TT is a highly entertaining tool and one that an equally well driven 997GT3 will have a hard time passing in the curvy sections and while not "left-for-dead" on the straights it will struggle to keep up. Net net, it is a high class problem picking between the two.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 PM
hardracing is infamous around these parts
My wife and I dogged our 997TT for about 1 1/2 years on the track.
Then we realized we had pushed it as hard as it could go, before needing Track prep.

ie... Lowered, Billstein, Camber, corner Balance...etc

Then you loose your quality drive.
So we got a GT3 RS, and it's fully track prepped and we are over 3-4 sec. faster at EVERY Track then we were with the 997TT, even though we gave up 70 hp and 200 lb/ft of torque.

GT3RS is where it's at for the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997GT3 vs 997TT - track car choice?