Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

In a blink of an eye, things can change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Unhappy In a blink of an eye, things can change

.....And just like that my life has changed. Overnight I went from a perfectly healthy 42 year old with no medical problems and not a care in the world, to a person who now lives in constant pain and lives with the realization that I will no longer be able to do many of the things I love to do the most. The injury was so subtle, and so quick, I thought there was no way it could be anything so serious. I was working out, rather strenously, and doing some reverse grip pull ups at the end of my work out. I was fatigued, but determined to get my all of my reps in. I then did, what I thought was straining the muscles of my back/shoulder.

It was only after 3 weeks of extreme pain, and then waking up one morning with my left arm paralyzed, that I found out that I severely herniated 2 discs in cervical spine. On a scale of 1-10, these herniations are 10's. They are completely occupying the space where my nerve roots exit my spinal column to innervate my left upper extremity.

I am podiatrist who makes a living specializing in complex reconstructive foot and ankle surgeries. My first concern was and is my livelihood. Luckily, after 2 spinal injections, the full motion has returned to my left arm, but it is wracked with constant nerve pain. I am able to do my cases for now, but do them while in pain..

I don't write this post to garner sympathy from fellow 6speeders. My first purpose is to remind all of you what a great blessing health is. You take it for granted until it's YOUR health that is in question. I've been told that I will need to give up tracking. I've also been told that I shouldn't drive any of my Porsches period until I have surgery to repair my neck. The risk for furthur nerve damage is too great.

Even if I am able to return to driving Porsches after my surgery, it would never be at the speeds and G's that I am used to pulling. So now, I am faced with another decision that I never thought I'd face, should I sell my GT3?

For those who know me, you know this is a very unique widebody GT3. It really does have over $250K wrapped up in it. I had planned to own it forever. I have tracked this car about 12 times and had hoped to do so for another few hundred. The reality is, I may never track again. The secondary reality is, that I will be out of work for a while when I have my surgery. Thank god I have my disability with NWML because they help a bunch. Nonetheless, I will need extra cash on hand during that time, and I cannot justify letting my car just sit and depreciate in my garage when I can't use it.

So, here I am, supposed to be writing up my "for sale" ad, but am finding myself unable to do so. I'm kinda like this with any car I sell, but this car is different, and the circumstances behind the sale are different as they are not under my control.

My car has 10,400 miles and is in excellent condition. I don't know what I should even try to get for it in this market and economy, but as you may guess, I'm not planning on giving it away either. I hope to get something the around $120K for her, but who knows? It depends if someone out there really wants this car as much as I did.

So until I can get my ad together, here are a couple of pictures of her for you all to enjoy.

Dan

a lot more pictures and information about her in this thread (since then I've added the Sharkwerks exhaust) :

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lots-pics.html

and my avatar.....

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 10-19-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:45 PM
KelvinC is infamous around these parts
While, I can only imagine how difficult the last 3 weeks have been for you, I appreciate you sharing it and I think one can never have too many reminders of what most people usually take for granted. Thankfully a Porsche is the type of vehicle that is fun to drive, at all speeds and on all roads. I wish the best for your recovery and hope that you find yourself back in the driver's seat of a GT3 soon, if not this one, then the next to come.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Truly horrible. Best of luck to you. But unless I missed it, is a discectomy/fusion not an option for some reason?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I too have blown out C6 and bulged 4 and 5. I was in agony for a week until the swelling went down and was left with permanent nerve damage to my thumb and index finger from it. 6 mos. of PT did nothing. I just live with it.

3 weeks ago I managed to almost take that same index finger OFF in a table saw accident. I've been gimping around since with my hand all bandaged up and am now looking at having a basically dead finger indefinitely. I understand how quick it happens and the damage it does. Life changes in an instant. Hang in there and get better.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear this.....STAY positive!
Positive energy is an AMAZING thing!
Get better and get back in the saddle....42 is way too young to admit defeat!
Especially a 42 year old who is working out!
DO NOT sell it yet....wiat a bit...besides it is the wrong time of the year to do so!

Stacy

Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Gradoholic is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bonehead
Truly horrible. Best of luck to you. But unless I missed it, is a discectomy/fusion not an option for some reason?

I was wondering the same thing. A 3 level ACDF is not exactly cutting edge surgery and you're looking at one night of hospital stay. Most neurosurgeons won't even require a cervical collar after the surgery.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Truly saddened to hear your story and a wake up call for all of us. Absolutely hold on to your baby until you know more and don't rush any decisions. Nerve damage is very painful and frustrating but there are advancements all the time. Explore ALL options and keep the positive energy flowing. Your GT3 is incredible whether you're driving it or just looking at it in the garage, may it always put a smile on your face. Keep us posted.

-Steve

Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
I'd talk to Steve Harris for motivation.
Same thing happened to my buddy when we were working out. I'd be going to the gym with a workout partner and he would join in with us once in a while (basically the guy would wanish anytime he had a gf ) we'll we were doing some heavy trep exercises on a calf machine and he tried "keeping" up with us and hears something click in his back. Well as it turned out when he got home he couldn't feel his toes as he raptured a disc and now has permament nerve damage. Bad thing he was in his early 20s at that time, but he adjusted his life, went back to school and now is doing pretty good both in his health and career wise.

I'd hold on to your toys( park that beauty in your living room and look at it every day), and go through the paces to get back on your feet. Don't force it thou, but don't give up on your life as it was. If you were married to a supermodel(maybe you are ) would you file for divorce right away?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
at the end of day, your health is the most important thing of all. just be thankful that you're getting good treatment and can afford to stay off of work.

as with the car, keep it until the cloud settles. it means a lot to you and you can always sell it later. no matter how much you've put into it, it's another material item.

best wishes to you. keep your spirit up!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
One more thing. Contact this guy, I hear he is the best:

http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/frd...ofile&fid=3954

My wife knows someone that he did artificial disc replacement surgery on and now she is doing great.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Dan truly sorry to read your post.
Your health and recovery are first and foremost. So I would say put the GT3 aside for a couple months. You've put much into that car so do not be quick to let her go. Hang on a few months.
Focus on the resolution of your health and recovery.
I'm an interventional radiologist in Miami but if I can help in any way please PM me. I know and have contacts with the Univ. of Miami.
Seek out a top notch neurosurgeon at your regional university.
Your recovery, health and well being come first.
I have the same passion for motorsports but just put it on hold. Do not give it up. Take it from an "old guy" who survived Vietnam, got an education and still kicks a$$. Believe, you will come through.
Again if I can help in any way please contact me.

Juan

Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Dan,

What can I say that hasn't been said! I am blown away to hear that this has happened.

I am not in a position to buy a GT3 today, but by the spring things hopefully should be in place. PM me with more details on your car when you get a chance.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 PM
EastBay is infamous around these parts
I agree with the rest of the guys. Give it some time. Even though it looks tough now it is just another injury. No need to give up the car, you will just learn to drive it differently and maybe even faster!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:38 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Thanks a lot, guys, for all the encourgaging words and comments. (Thanks VSE Chuck). They certainly help. I am trying my best to stay optimistic, and these words do help. A constant pain, and lack of sleep going on 4 weeks tends to erode at that.

I am definitely thankful that I can get good medical help. I bring a lot of surgical cases to our hospital system for the past 12 years, and have made a lot friendships and colleagues. I am definitely blessed to be able to call up a physician and then be seen within a few hours or less. (I've always extended this courtesy as well).

I also definitely haven't given up. My doctor told me that he doesn't know how I'm still seeing 50-60 patients a day. He told me most every one with my injury has gone on disability until surgery. I think those folks must not own their own businesses.

Surgery is definitely an option and most likely will occur. I have an appointment to see a top neurosurgeon in this area on my next day off. Yes, an ACDF (anterior cervical disc fusion..removing the discs and fusing the vertabrae together approached through the front of the neck....for all you non GT3Ranger types out there ). One of my hesitations for surgery on myself right now is that right now until the beginning of the year is my busiest surgical time. I already have surgical cases booked out until Christmas and I have commitiments to these patients that I will keep. They are counting on it before their deductibles reset in January. Not to mention, its a lot of income for my practice as well.

One of the problems of multi-leval disc fusions is that they place a lot of additional stress on the vertabrae above and below the fusion site. I've been told it wouldn't be a good idea to track my car because 10 years down the line, I could paying the price with arthritic bone changes in my spine (osteophytes) which could cause nerve pain, or worse case, I could more easily herniate another disc.

I could, possibly, return to the track but my doctor recommended it would be few and a far between, with moderate intensity at best. That's when my mind started thinking what a waste to have such a functional bad *** track machine and not really be able to use it the way I know it should. I thought maybe someone else out there would buy it and use for what it was intended for. If I were to get back to the track, it would be a casual affair with a sporty daily driver. A big part of me has been saying what many of you have echoed...hold on to this decision until after surgery and recovery and see what happens.

Another big(ger) part of me says, prices are dropping everyday. Right now, high quality examples of stock GT3's (loaded MSRP) with 10,000 miles or less are being sold in the $90-$100K neighborhood. I figure someone who loves all the widebody mods, Cup Car components, and just general looks may be willing to pay around an extra $20K for all of it.

A definite scenario is in the spring, the very same 997.1 GT3's may drop to the $80-$90. My additonal cost for my car would stay he same, but it would be much harder at that time to get my asking price. That's why I'm thinking I should sell it now, rather than wait 6-9 months to realize that it I won't be tracking it again, and then try to sell it.

Thanks again for the encourgement and advice.

Dan

Last edited by docdan; 10-20-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: re-worded a sentence for accuracy
Old 10-20-2009, 11:01 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstance. I would hope you have a speedy recovery. In terms of selling the car, I know you have put much effort and passion into your hobby, but the reality is, it's just a car (albeit a very special one at that). Your health and well being is much more important. I sense your gut feeling is to sell it and that feeling will probably not fade until you do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In a blink of an eye, things can change