Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

from 996 gt3 to 997 gt3rs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 AM
vanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to behold
It cost a little more than a 996 GT3, less than a 997 GT3 and much less than a 997GT3RS. So rebuilding as a 996GT3 didn't pencil and the value of an original restore would never be realized. Main point was to save a [sound] GT3 that was written off because the insurance company said it was to expensive to rebuild. [To the insurance company they're viewed same as a damaged Honda or Nissan] We had to save it. Also rebuilding it as a 997 made sense since nearly every panel below the window line was damaged. Still considering a regestry to incourage saving these rare cars that would be written off by insurance companies. Im unsure how to start such.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 PM
DJH
DJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really nice
Great work! Looks amazing.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 AM
DK-BO is infamous around these parts
nice work

Old 03-28-2010, 11:05 AM
YoVito is infamous around these parts
Very impressive VanquishV12. I saw your GT3 at a german car gathering this past fall in Northern California. It had a mass of Porsche fans gathered around discussing the details and conversion details. One person actually thought it was a 997 with an interior change to a 996. I would have never thought that this was a Salvage titled auto. I understand that the car may be for sale. Is this true?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Its nice to see a real car enthusiast/owner. Its not always a monetary thing. I still have my first car just because I can’t rationalize selling something that is still good and has so much value apart from dollars and cents. Kind of falls in line with getting a sheltered animal that was just going to be put to sleep.

Any picture of it before the conversion?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 PM
vanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to beholdvanquishv12 is a splendid one to behold
I have been asked if I would sell it. It would be emotionally difficult. Also, we have no idea what the monetary value is. [Don't really care] Also I'm a bit over protective of it since it was not a car that we simply "took delivery". We drive it often and forget how close this little GT3 came to being [as 19000RPM says] "Put to sleep". Not sure if a future owner would understand. Not once regret saving the car and incourage others to save these cars and rebuild them correctly. I wish the rebuildable cars would all be saved from the "Yard". These are very strong cars. Many are salvaged not because they "total loss" but rather because they simply exceed the insurance company monetary limits to fix. [to them its only a car,same as a Toyota] I'm still hoping that PCA [or someone please] assemble a registry of rebuilt rare porsches. Maybe it would soften the fear of saving them and incourage rebuilding or buying such a Porsche.
Regarding the photos. We had a full photo record of the build and lost it via a virus that ate all our photos [trips/family etc] Were working on getting them back via a computer geek friend who says there still in that computer somewhere. As soon as these are back I'll put them on the site.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by vanquishv12
Many may not approve of this but I wanted to show that these cars can be saved. Being a long time Vintage Automobile/Porsche enthusiast I have always found it hard to not save any great car. I have seen new rare cars simply tossed by insurance companies. Such was the case with a Silver 2004 996 GT3 that had extensive panel damage. Nearly every panel below the window line was damaged and wanted to save it from going to the yard. We acquired the GT3 and completed a full tear down removing all damaged parts. What remained was a structurally sound Porsche. [Airbags were not deployed] So the decision was made to rebuild it visually as a 997 GT3RS for my personal auto. We then proceeded to remove everything from the car including the interior yielding only the shell. Since the car was to have a color change to black I wanted the fit and finish perfect and show quality. Only new Porsche factory parts were used in the rebuild and correct 997 detail throughout the exterior. [note 997 door handles as well] It was not a simple build. The car has been completed for some time and has proven itself via many trips to and from Northern and Southern California. At events many are surprised to see it retains a 996 GT3 interior. [We have recently installed a Tequipment roll bar,alcantera wheel etc.] We love this car and the fact that this Porsche continues to provide daily enjoyment. We are fully aware that the tainted title limits its value and will always be a difficult sell. We’re fine with that. Also saving an existing 996 GT3 is much “Greener” than buying a new Prius.
We have decided to get back into the vintage scene. The conversion and saving this car was a wonderful project and has been an absolute joy since completion. Never planned to sell it but... Anyone have recomendations of a site that is best to move it to an appreciative buyer? I wish to move on to a Porsche enthusiast who understands the passion of the rebuild. Fully aware of the title issue. Any recomendations?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanx xeattle. I've put off selling as long as possible but space is going to be a problem this spring. We do have it at this time on ebay. Moved forward with the vintage car stuff but now find were either selling or putting it in storage for a bit. We know we cant get to high of a return so expecting hopefully around $50-ish. Although I would love $60, I dont expect that to happen. I'm into it for so much more. If you search ebay you'll see it. Maybe I'll list here as well today. I'm located in the SF bay area. Not a bad drive to Seattle for storage.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vanquishv12
Thanx xeattle. I've put off selling as long as possible but space is going to be a problem this spring. We do have it at this time on ebay. Moved forward with the vintage car stuff but now find were either selling or putting it in storage for a bit. We know we cant get to high of a return so expecting hopefully around $50-ish. Although I would love $60, I dont expect that to happen. I'm into it for so much more. If you search ebay you'll see it. Maybe I'll list here as well today. I'm located in the SF bay area. Not a bad drive to Seattle for storage.
Oh how I wish my car was worth about 35-40K more so I could tempt you into a trade Good luck on it's sale. I think any place that you list it, also if it's allowed on any of the sites that you list it on, you should post a link to the build thread here on 6speed because it's been a fantastic journey and will really show how it was a no expense spared build not just a quick put it together so it looks ok from 50 ft type of job. It was a really fun thread to watch. I really wish you luck on it's sale and a big congratulations for the next owner.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:28 AM
We bought it back.

If anyone remembers our rebuilt gt3 that we sold? Well the seller regret was to great. I bought it back and it's coming home. Thanks Xeattle. Love the upgrades you made to it.

Last edited by vanquishv12; 11-27-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:25 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Nicely done ! Great update to the interior.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks Lee. As you can see we went through a full modification to 997. Then sold it to Xeattle. He replaced the 996rs 18 inch wheels with proper 997rs 19 inch wheel and an awesome AWE tuning exhaust. Considering selling the 996rs wheels (orange).

Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I do believe that is (was?) my good buddies car. I'll have to send him a note since I didn't realize he was considering selling it. I've been around the car on many occasions and it's really nice...not to mention the reason I currently own a GT3 RS!

Old 11-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi Steve. This is it. I bought it back. It's back in California.