Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Breaking SEMA News - New Brembo GT-R Brake Kits from Italy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
GMG, good comments.

I love my brembo's and money permitting will go with them. But it looks like Stoptech have a good product in the making as well!!

GTDeaux... I think that the fact that Brembo supplies to a car manufacturer does not necessarily mean it is the best. As you will be aware, car makers (yes even Porsche and Ferrari) are in the business of making money. Sometimes that means obtaining a compromise between cost and performance..... and Brembo with their large volumes is I am sure able to offer better pricing due to economies of scale....

So I think that you cant take the fact that they are original equipment on Porsche as an indication of a better product. Now, perhaps the fact that all the Formula One cars use them is something else. But again, based on sponsorship issues, support capabilities, etc, whilst Stoptech may be as good a product, due to their smaller size they are not (yet) up to the capabilities of providing tech support for F1 teams even though the product on a performance basis may actually be as good, and I imagine that this is exceptionally important for the F1 circus.

So I think we should not oversimplify based on these arguments and actually base our comments on real world first hand experiences... that will be far more valuable for us forum guys out here to try and figure out how best to spend our hard earned money. Just my 2 cents.... and GMG... congrats on the results!

Peace all!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Never did I say that it was Nickel,If you would read my post and not get all bent out of shape you would see that.. Its clear you have choice of brakes and that fine.

You have your opinion and that's perfectly fine. But dont come on a forum and simply bash someones product because you feel powerful behind a key board. Base your posts on facts and nothing more this way we ALL benefit from your input.

Here are the Stoptech STR calipers that are as you say painted........Never did I state that they were painted......... You might want to re-read what I wrote originally.

Have a wonderful evening..

hmmm..... yes..... they dont really look like they are painted... perhaps an apology is in order....

Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 AM
TripleM is infamous around these parts
My brief experience with StopTech is when I bought a set for my old M5 about 5 years ago. After a hard run through some canyon roads, my pads were on fire and I had some moderate fade while going downhill, while my friend with Brembo GTs (F50 style caliper) had no problems whatsoever. Needless to say, I sold my brakes the following week for 30 cents on the dollar.
I have used all sorts of main stream brands incl StopTech and I was never disappointed wif the product and after sales service.

50kms mileage wif ST-40 brake kit on my previous E46M3 incl 20 track days or so and the brakes were going strong..of course, had to use track pads for that matter. The street pads Axxis Ultimate supplied arent for track driving. The rotors were changed just once in between.

I do think highly of ST product. It can only get better from here, IMO.
It takes time for a relatively new entrant to make it big so time will tell.

The STR series, I believe, is another level from the ST series. Tempted to change someday if I go harder core for my trackday events but in the meantime, the OEM brakes on my Mk1.GT3 is good enough.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:35 PM
drqiman is infamous around these parts
I am not as experienced as most of you in this forum but it seems to me that if Stoptech can provide close enough performance and durabilty to Brembo's GTR brakes at a significantly lower price then the Stoptech product is a good alternative for those of us that do street driving and track days but do not compete in organized racing. I have a GT3.1 and would like to upgrade my OEM steel brakes so this discussion is of interest to me.

Fabryce, could you comment on the weight differences between the OEM steel brakes for a 997 GT3.1 steel brakes and the Brembo GTR and the Stoptech STR 60 racing applicaton for Porsche?

While the arguments for Brembo's "superiority" are logical and reasonable, the proof is in the tasting of the pudding. GMG has done well this year in the races that they have entered. Did they do better if/when they were they used Brembo brakes? Just a simple question. I am a "little guy" in my industry but my work/product is equal or better than what the big billion dollar companies deliver.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:43 PM
bob
bob is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Fabryce, you are the man! GTDeux, stop being a dick.
Well said.... Fabryce - nicely written and objective.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Banned
BRracing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drqiman@mac.com
I am not as experienced as most of you in this forum but it seems to me that if Stoptech can provide close enough performance and durabilty to Brembo's GTR brakes at a significantly lower price then the Stoptech product is a good alternative for those of us that do street driving and track days but do not compete in organized racing. I have a GT3.1 and would like to upgrade my OEM steel brakes so this discussion is of interest to me.

Fabryce, could you comment on the weight differences between the OEM steel brakes for a 997 GT3.1 steel brakes and the Brembo GTR and the Stoptech STR 60 racing applicaton for Porsche?

While the arguments for Brembo's "superiority" are logical and reasonable, the proof is in the tasting of the pudding. GMG has done well this year in the races that they have entered. Did they do better if/when they were they used Brembo brakes? Just a simple question. I am a "little guy" in my industry but my work/product is equal or better than what the big billion dollar companies deliver.
Just to let all know we actually have the weights broken down into the following for your fact knowledge brains...
Calipers
Rotors
Calipers and rotors and hardware

Since we were the first to recieve the STR kit for the 997.2 GT3 I will be happy to share with those our findings over the GTR series that Brembo has and why we chose one over the other. We worked hard with Stoptech, and GMG to develop a superior kit for the track enthusiast and while I am not biased on one manufacturer I would prefer for the facts to tell me what is the better choice and then post those for your review and choice.

We are at SEMA right now and I will be back in the office on Thursday morning and will do my best to post the info that has been requested, if anyone has any questions though please dont hesitate to PM us and we will do our best to fulfill your questions.
It seems as though brakes are a hot topic for this platform especially as we are all in the midst of a transition in technology and mfg from traditional and proven metal type solutions to carbon ceramic or straight carbon solutions, and we foresaw that and thus want to provide proven results over opinions as to what works for the two or three most common applications (aggressive street only, aggressive street and some track, and heavy track/race), and we also have no point to make, as we also directly sell Brembo and Stoptech systems.
Look forward to assisting those that we can.
Thanks

Robb

Last edited by BRracing; 11-03-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 AM
CarGuy56 is infamous around these parts
it's all Vivid Racing's fault with this thread, haha j/k

Old 11-04-2009, 05:07 AM
PeterJohn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GTDeux
Like I said, I will believe in StopTech when they can supply at the highest level of the sport. That is Formula One, period.

Technology trickles down, not up!
So...

Toyota > Porsche

?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarGuy56
it's all Vivid Racing's fault with this thread, haha j/k
Just trying to share LOL.