Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

RS allocation: mooty needs data and help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:35 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
Mooty,

You can have my spot at MSRP.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
Sorry. I saw it on your signature right after I posted. I'm getting Gray/Black with guards
At MSRP? If so - that was the question the OP asked.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rodsky
At MSRP? If so - that was the question the OP asked.
It appears so from what other people are paying. The discussion at the dealer comes soon.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by grussell
Mooty,

You can have my spot at MSRP.
GQ told me you dont have that spot

Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 PM
bhsccb is infamous around these parts
The Dealer list

During the last RS craz' I was number 2 at Scottsdale, took my money, wrote MSRP on receipt. Having been down this road before, sent regular emails (with dealer's response) confirming my number 2 status. Time comes, sorry-need to move you to # three, a couple more months...time comes, sorry no car for you, but you can buy this one we happen to have at over MSRP.. called Porsche NA and spoke to area rep (sorry, nothing we can do), sent letter with copies of receipt and emails to Rep and Porsche NA President - no response at all.
Sooooo, Panamerican? I think not... new Turbo? Nah, don't think I'll bother... New GT3...Ok let's not be stupid about this, of course! It's 3.8 and has center locks! But I do love to tell every Porsche person I know how Scottsdale screwed me and take your business elsewhere!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned
Hawk2109 is infamous around these parts
Okay, I guess I can understand where Mooty, is coming from here, given the amount of business that he has done in the past with the dealership in question, but am I the only one that does not understand why everyone thinks it is unfair to charge a premium on a limited production car?

MSRP after all does mean Manufactures SUGGESTED Retail Price right?

While I agree that it would be nice of them to sell these cars at MSRP, I can certainly understand why that is not going to happen. With the very limited number of cars coming to the US and the rather high demand for the cars, as well as the tough economic times for dealerships, as well as for the consumers, it would seem to make sense to me that if you can get more for a particular car, then you should.

Think of it this way, and this is just an example so don't flame me too bad here about the numbers, it is just an example.

You have a absolutely perfect 2009 997 Turbo, and you decide that you are going to put it up for sale for say $100,000 dollars. The NADA book value for the car is say $80,000 but you know that if you find the right person you will get what you are asking for the car. Someone comes to see the car and tells you that you are a thief for asking $20,000 over the book value of the car. Are you going to lower the price that you are asking just because some book says that you asking too much, or are you going to wait for the person who will appreciate the perfect nature of your car and is willing to pay the price that you are asking?

When you consider that overall sales at some dealerships is down, and that a $40,000 boost, or whatever the markup they can get for new RS, could potentially be a very big deal to some dealerships, why would you expect them to do anything less? Because you are a loyal customer right? I am sorry while I do understand how that should mean something, if I am a dealership and I can make an extra $40K, it is a no brainer, it is just good business to do so.

Mooty- I am sure that if you look hard enough you will find a dealership that simply sees this car as another piece of metal that needs to be moved, and will gladly agree to sell it to you for MSRP. I am sure you will have to do some leg work to find it, but the deals are out there for those willing to look for them. I truly do wish you the best of luck with your search.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson

Old 11-12-2009, 03:54 PM
kscheible is infamous around these partskscheible is infamous around these partskscheible is infamous around these parts
Hawk,

You brought up some good points. I don't have a dog in this fight...I was just plain LIED to with my deal.

I would like to offer a different perspective. Taking a long-term view, a dealer should look at the NPV of ALL the future cashflows from a high volume buyer not one transaction. For example, after I owned 4 BMWs the Z8 came out, and the dealer gave me one at sticker. (They had 10 deposits at the time and 2 cars.) I bought another BMW after and even though I live 2000 miles away, I am getting another one from them in March. So they are making way more off me than if they hit me for $30k over on one deal.

I would like to see PCNA require non-refundable $10k deposits to secure a production spot for a rare car. Then build to those deposits. I know....dream on!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 PM
sprinty_rs4 is infamous around these parts
Haven't Porsche lately always overbuild their numbers? They did build more 997.1 RS than they planned didn't they? I think the problem is really stupid. The car is limited production but are these RS cars really going to be like a cult 73 RS?

IMO let the speculators speculate, I still think there will be plenty of cars sitting next spring. It seems you serious RS owners take fabulous car of your track cars. I really don't think I have a problem buying a 3k mile car for $125K in 2011....

Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 PM
bhsccb is infamous around these parts
I have no issue if a dealer chooses to sell above MSRP, I do have an issue when they take money while stating they will sell at MSRP and then reneg on a deal. If a dealer sells above MSRP, they also should expect me to have them match the lowest internet price when I buy a car from them - it's a one time shot relationship at that point.
I also don't think the RS will be an above MSRP car after the initial deliveries. Terrific car, but it's a different vib these days with many preferring a lower profile. For those still looking for the new hottest ticket, think about what is coming out; new F car 458, a new McLaren MP4, a MB SLS Gullwing, etc. Yes they are all different, but they all suck the same oxygen in the room.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
xlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nice
Originally Posted by bhsccb
During the last RS craz' I was number 2 at Scottsdale, took my money, wrote MSRP on receipt. Having been down this road before, sent regular emails (with dealer's response) confirming my number 2 status. Time comes, sorry-need to move you to # three, a couple more months...time comes, sorry no car for you, but you can buy this one we happen to have at over MSRP.. called Porsche NA and spoke to area rep (sorry, nothing we can do), sent letter with copies of receipt and emails to Rep and Porsche NA President - no response at all.
Sooooo, Panamerican? I think not... new Turbo? Nah, don't think I'll bother... New GT3...Ok let's not be stupid about this, of course! It's 3.8 and has center locks! But I do love to tell every Porsche person I know how Scottsdale screwed me and take your business elsewhere!
Do you remember who your sales rep was??

Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 PM
sjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to all
Dealer loyalty

Originally Posted by Hawk2109
Okay, I guess I can understand where Mooty, is coming from here, given the amount of business that he has done in the past with the dealership in question, but am I the only one that does not understand why everyone thinks it is unfair to charge a premium on a limited production car?

MSRP after all does mean Manufactures SUGGESTED Retail Price right?

While I agree that it would be nice of them to sell these cars at MSRP, I can certainly understand why that is not going to happen. With the very limited number of cars coming to the US and the rather high demand for the cars, as well as the tough economic times for dealerships, as well as for the consumers, it would seem to make sense to me that if you can get more for a particular car, then you should.

Think of it this way, and this is just an example so don't flame me too bad here about the numbers, it is just an example.

You have a absolutely perfect 2009 997 Turbo, and you decide that you are going to put it up for sale for say $100,000 dollars. The NADA book value for the car is say $80,000 but you know that if you find the right person you will get what you are asking for the car. Someone comes to see the car and tells you that you are a thief for asking $20,000 over the book value of the car. Are you going to lower the price that you are asking just because some book says that you asking too much, or are you going to wait for the person who will appreciate the perfect nature of your car and is willing to pay the price that you are asking?

When you consider that overall sales at some dealerships is down, and that a $40,000 boost, or whatever the markup they can get for new RS, could potentially be a very big deal to some dealerships, why would you expect them to do anything less? Because you are a loyal customer right? I am sorry while I do understand how that should mean something, if I am a dealership and I can make an extra $40K, it is a no brainer, it is just good business to do so.

Mooty- I am sure that if you look hard enough you will find a dealership that simply sees this car as another piece of metal that needs to be moved, and will gladly agree to sell it to you for MSRP. I am sure you will have to do some leg work to find it, but the deals are out there for those willing to look for them. I truly do wish you the best of luck with your search.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
My first 911 was a 2003 C4S, the dealer here in Northern California agreed to a $5,000 discount. When I met with him to pay the deposit, he said why should I discount this car when I can sell it to someone else for MSRP. I said because that is what you agreed to do as I walked out. I went to another dealer got the discount and four 911s and two Cayennes later still have not bought a car from Niello. You can do the math on his short sighted approach to customer loyalty.

Last edited by sjgreco; 11-12-2009 at 11:51 PM.