Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Throw winter tires on this guy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Throw winter tires on this guy?

So I picked up the 2010 GT3 yesterday -- loving it! As mentined, I'll post a more thorough review, including my impressions of the GT3 versus the 2009 turbo.

The GT3 came with the Michelin PS Cups. I'll drive the car in the winter when the roads are dry and clear -- but of course slowly and carefully. Perhaps I'll put 600 miles on the car over the winter months.

OK to keep the OEM tires even when temps are 25-30 degrees F? I'd be taking it easy because I know these tires are very slick below 45 F.

Or, should I spend $1700 and throw these on the stock tiresfor the winter: Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II n1 (Performance Winter/Snow) in size 235/35VR19 front and 295/30VR19 rear.

For only ~600 miles of driving in dry road, winter conditions, I'd really prefer to keep the OEM tires.

Thoughts?

Old 11-12-2009, 02:08 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I had a set of MPSC on my car last year after track season and they were hard as rocks when the temperatures got low. And this is on a turbo, I can only imagine how much worse they would be on a RWD.

I would definitely swap them out. I switched to the sottozeros for last winter and already got them on for this winter and they are great when the temperatures are low. Tires stay soft, drives like a range rover. And my ex lives in Pittsburgh so I'm famliar with the city, I wouldnt take out a GT3 without snows there. Too many hills and you guys get a bunch more snow than we do up here.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
If you attempt to drive that beauty below 45 degrees with Cups, and in ANY snow at all, you may as well just hit the first tree you find and get it over with before hurting yourself or someone else. It can't even be a consideration.

Yes, they will be that bad.

Please call me.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
If you attempt to drive that beauty below 45 degrees with Cups, and in ANY snow at all, you may as well just hit the first tree you find and get it over with
This made me LOL

No brainer. If you drive that thing in the snow, then snow tires are a must. PS2's would be bad enough. Can't imagine Cups.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
So I picked up the 2010 GT3 yesterday -- loving it! As mentined, I'll post a more thorough review, including my impressions of the GT3 versus the 2009 turbo.

The GT3 came with the Michelin PS Cups. I'll drive the car in the winter when the roads are dry and clear -- but of course slowly and carefully. Perhaps I'll put 600 miles on the car over the winter months.

OK to keep the OEM tires even when temps are 25-30 degrees F? I'd be taking it easy because I know these tires are very slick below 45 F.

Or, should I spend $1700 and throw these on the stock tiresfor the winter: Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II n1 (Performance Winter/Snow) in size 235/35VR19 front and 295/30VR19 rear.

For only ~600 miles of driving in dry road, winter conditions, I'd really prefer to keep the OEM tires.

Thoughts?
below 35*F you will be taill happy DRY! i have a boxster with Potenzas and tails out below 35*F; and that's mid-engine let alone POTENT rear engine let GT3 hibernate in the upcoming cold months. the last thing you need is some "hockey" mom plowing into your 133K sports car!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
All:

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify, the GT3 would be driven only on dry days, on flat roads (hwy), within a few miles of my house. This is just 1 step above a complete hibernation -- allowing the car to not sit completely idle for 4 months. I'd put maybe 150 miles per month on it.

I'm aware that even the smallest snowfall would send the car into a ditch.

Just hard to justify $1,700 on tires that will only go 600 miles a season. If I get the urge to drive it more than a few miles here and there, I'll certainly throw the tires on it.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
All:

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify, the GT3 would be driven only on dry days, on flat roads (hwy), within a few miles of my house. This is just 1 step above a complete hibernation -- allowing the car to not sit completely idle for 4 months. I'd put maybe 150 miles per month on it.

I'm aware that even the smallest snowfall would send the car into a ditch.

Just hard to justify $1,700 on tires that will only go 600 miles a season. If I get the urge to drive it more than a few miles here and there, I'll certainly throw the tires on it.
If your going to use it as you described I would say you should be OK. You are just wanting to warm the car up and not do anything crazy. I've driven mine in 40 degree temps to do the same without a problem. Just need to be careful and take it easy. If there is no salt on the roads I think it is better than to just leave it sit. Where I live in WI once they salt the roads the car is parked.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:37 AM
rirc is infamous around these parts
1.7k is a little price to pay for a piece of mind on a 100k+ car.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
sasportas has a spectacular aura aboutsasportas has a spectacular aura about
snow tires

I run my daily driver 997 GT3 with Continental 810s snows (235/35/19 x 295/30/19). I have not missed one snow storm or sub 30 degree day with my car. Snows are a must and give great traction. I go skiing in the winter and drive my car up snow covered mountains, driveways, etc.. without any difficulty. The only time I ever had any trouble was when I was driving 1 mile from my house in 45 degree rainy weather on MPSC's.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I live in Maryland and only drive the car in winter like you, occasionally to circulate oil and fluids. My local tire guy is also a racer and he told me there was no reason to spend the money on snow tires as long as I'm not pushing it, and I don't, and I never take it out in the rain or snow. I've done this for 2 winters already and never had any problems.

Last edited by landjet; 11-28-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:09 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
The salt/sand on the roads in those "150" miles a month, will likely do more damage to the car than having it sit for 4 months. Don't drive it in the winter.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
I live in Maryland and only drive the car in winter like you, occasionally to circulate oil and fluids. My local tire guy is also a racer and he told me there was no reason to spend the money on snow tires as long as I'm not pushing it, and I don't, and I never take it out in the rain or snow. I've done this for 2 winters already and never had any problems.
Thanks! We have similar winters, so I'll plan to do the same.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:41 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
40 degrees and less is a big no-no. Don't do it. Others thought the same you are, and have wrecked their cars only to get things repaired and get the new wheelset anyways. Oh, but now their car will never be the same.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:56 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
Remember that you also need tire traction to help the car stop. I would not want to depend on summer tires in a panic stop or an emergency maneuver in freezing cold temperatures, even if the roads are dry. I'm putting on winter tires on my GT3.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
You get a lot more snow and winter-y conditions in New England than we get down here.