Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

CGT Clutch Replacement Costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
TimF40 is infamous around these parts
CGT Clutch Replacement Costs

As I’ve been snooping around a CGT for a while, I got clutch replacement figures this week from two dealers in the Bay Area:

1. $32k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. $13k (about 30 miles from the first dealer), $9.7k parts, $2.3k labor

I assume the 2nd quote is for a refurbished clutch, but it’s still the cheapest I’ve seen.

The first dealership said they have only done a couple so their labor is way high. And, they’re charging full price for the parts. Dealer number two is offering almost wholesale on both.

Even $13k sucks, but it’s less than the $20k-25k I’ve been seeing on these boards. So, if you've been quoted $20k+, go down the street!

The $13k also matches exactly what I posted a few months back when I saw the clutch replacement invoice of a CGT I was looking at from this same Porsche dealer.

At $13k, you can have your CGT shipped to/from this dealership and still come out way ahead.

Thought I would let you know...

Tim

Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 AM
AlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to behold
I feel sick just thinking about those prices, just a cluch... I wonder what the prices are like for larger things like the differential, transmission, or even engine parts, .

-Alex

Old 11-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Auctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AlFromCalabasas
I feel sick just thinking about those prices, just a cluch... I wonder what the prices are like for larger things like the differential, transmission, or even engine parts, .

-Alex
oh that makes be nauious.
I pray they arent too insane and the clutch is that high due to it being the only car with such a smaller clutch and its materials.
A diff and tranny parts I dont think were anything too innovative, just lightweight metals.

unfortunatly its not cheaper to ship the car to SF and back for a clutch for me

Old 11-14-2009, 05:30 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Once these cars are done with factory warranty, look out below. It will be holy depreciation Batman. Ouch

Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Auctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
Once these cars are done with factory warranty, look out below. It will be holy depreciation Batman. Ouch

the 04s are gone and most 05 are aswell.
I was saying this for years, and my patients paid off

I doubt they will drop much further though. The way the car was built and materials used can only be matched in million dollar plus cars, even at 450k MSRP is was a steal. Throw in the falling dollar and prices may shoot up if Europeans start buying them again. With a good number of the 600 or so that came here being sold back to Europe or crashed theres less and less here everyday.

that all being said, Ill never sell mine, so I dont give two shats what the value is

Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 AM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
You might want to check 9ff as they have a replacement clutch set up that is more durable than the factory piece. The dealers are getting 20-25k in my area.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 PM
wolfturbo is infamous around these partswolfturbo is infamous around these parts
JB~

I took the plunge and FINALLY bought a CGT. Loving every second of it, although there is quite a steep learning curve. I can certainyl drive my GT2 much faster with confidence.

Hope all is well on your end and I hope I never have to ask you for 9ff's info on their replacement clutch for the CGT!!

Wolf

Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
We have done several CGT clutch jobs in the last 3 years.. (9 total) In addition we have all the proper tools to remove the engine/gearbox and set the clutch.

There are options for a clutch upgrade.. We have worked with AP racing - on a replacement /upgrade for this vehicle and have options.

13k is actually VERY fairly priced............. It is a very labor intensive job and you don't want some tech out of UTI working on your car..
At that price you might want to verify who is working on the car at the dealer. That dealer must be hurting for work.. I don't know of any dealer that would touch it in our area..

As an option we are racing at Sears Pt in a few weeks- we could take it back down in the transporter....
Wouldn't be the worst time fit that GMG WC-GT exhaust system either!

Happy to help if you need some real world insight and options.

Feel free to give me a ring or drop me an email.

Fabryce@gmgracing.com

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 11-15-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm not so sure. My F40 value didn't plunge when it went out of warranty. I think most people who buy these cars know what they're getting into for the most part. Of course, that doesn't make it any easier when the bill comes! - Tim

Old 11-21-2009, 03:23 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I really doubt that the CGT's will drop much less than they have if at all. The prices are actually starting to slightly move up from about 9 or 10 months ago. If this were a normal car, then yes sometimes cost of parts/labor will reflect the resale value. But this is a collector car. The original 4-cam Carrera engines were and still are among the most difficult of all engines to work on, whether it be vintage or modern and they don't use fancy or exotic materials. Only a few places around the country are truly qualified to work on those engines. That hasn't seemed to have any impact on the resale value of 550's or 356 Speedsters

Old 11-21-2009, 05:21 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TimF40
I'm not so sure. My F40 value didn't plunge when it went out of warranty. I think most people who buy these cars know what they're getting into for the most part. Of course, that doesn't make it any easier when the bill comes! - Tim
There's only one Ferrari and Porsche isn't it! F40>CGT all day

Old 11-21-2009, 10:07 PM
themarsman is infamous around these parts
There's only one Ferrari and Porsche isn't it! F40>CGT all day
I have driven both and I can say that the Carrera GT is a much better car. It should be because it is much newer and is using better technology. The F40 is a fun car but is much less refined. The quality of the F40 isn't even close to the Carrera GT and the looks are debatable.

All of you guys who said that when the warranty was over on the CGT it was going to drop like a rock have been completely wrong. If the economy didn't tank so badly I believe the car might of actually appreciated.

As Auctung so eloquently stated above, I also don't care about the resale because mine will never be for sale. I bought mine new and have enjoyed every mile, and know that my car has no bad history.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by themarsman
I have driven both and I can say that the Carrera GT is a much better car. It should be because it is much newer and is using better technology. The F40 is a fun car but is much less refined. The quality of the F40 isn't even close to the Carrera GT and the looks are debatable.
The term “better” is definitely in the eye of the beholder! I agree with everything you said except for the term ”better” and the “look”. :-)

Part of the charm of the CGT to me is in the incredible execution of state of the art design and technology. The build quality is wonderful compared to my other exotics.

Part of the charm of the F40 to me is how a company can have relatively poor build quality, non bleeding edge technology, and yet produce an overall performance, look, and “feel” package that propels it to near the top of iconic cars. (yes, I know this is a Porsche forum).

The F40 and CGT paired together represent the extremes of engineering and execution thought and mindset. They are both awesome each in their own way. That’s why we need both – preferably in the same garage (of which I should have news here shortly!).

Tim

Old 11-22-2009, 04:15 PM
SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !
Tim, good luck in your search man.. Post em up when you pull the trigger!!Kenny

Old 11-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Kuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TimF40
T

The F40 and CGT paired together represent the extremes of engineering and execution thought and mindset. They are both awesome each in their own way. That’s why we need both – preferably in the same garage (of which I should have news here shortly!).

Tim
Bravo Tim!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CGT Clutch Replacement Costs