Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Rattling sound 2010 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:45 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Rattling sound 2010 GT3

Hi all. I've been enjoying my new GT3 quite a bit -- the Pgh weather has been in the high 60's all last week which is highly unusual, but perfect for breaking in the car before the winter months set it. Have about 400 miles on her now.

Anyhow, I've noticed a metallic, sort of rattling sound from the engine compartment when I:
* rev match with a throttle blip on downships (more pronounced from 3rd to 2nd, and 2nd to 1st, than say, 4th to 3rd).
* roll on and off the throttle in higher gears in the 2K-3K RPM band

It's a very difficult sound to describe. It's only heard in the 2K-3K or so RPM range I think. For example, when I rev the engine in the 4K - 6K range I hear nothing but the beautiful engine sound.

Anyone experience this? I'm going to have my dealer look at it when it's in next week for my one and only mod on this car: white rear center console -- thanks bumperplugs. .....famous last words

cheers

Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Update: I understand it's the new variable valve timings.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:34 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
Did your dealer inform you of this? Are you still going to have it checked out?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Did your dealer inform you of this? Are you still going to have it checked out?

+1. Picking up mine in the morning. I would like to know if this is something I need to look out for.

-Troy

Old 11-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I did not notice it until about 100 miles into my trip back to Pgh. It's somewhat subtle. Everything is magnified, however, being a highly critical P-car owner. I'm only having my dealer take a look because it will be in for a white rear center console. Otherwise, I'd not bother. Seems nothing to worry about. I would like to know if anyone else experienced this sound though.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
I did not notice it until about 100 miles into my trip back to Pgh. It's somewhat subtle. Everything is magnified, however, being a highly critical P-car owner. I'm only having my dealer take a look because it will be in for a white rear center console. Otherwise, I'd not bother. Seems nothing to worry about. I would like to know if anyone else experienced this sound though.

Can you tell me how many hours of labor your dealer will charge for the console swap? My car will be here in a month and I'll likely do the same mod. Too bad I couldn't make up my freakin mind before the order was locked, lol.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by 911dev
Can you tell me how many hours of labor your dealer will charge for the console swap? My car will be here in a month and I'll likely do the same mod. Too bad I couldn't make up my freakin mind before the order was locked, lol.
Sure, no problem. Plz remind me if I forget -- car goes in on the 24th. As I recall from my turbo, it was about an hour or so. Highly recommend you order the rear center console from bumperplugs. Plus, they have a lot more painted pieces that you can indulge in

Here is a pic from my turbo:

Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
There is a TSB (56/09 1001) out that addresses "Clicking" noise from the valvetrain in certain RPM ranges.
Related to camshaft control on the exhaust side
The noises are normal and do not affect the service life of the engine.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 PM
fun2k is infamous around these parts
I have a very noobish question regarding downshift,ok here goes plz dont laugh i havent driven a manual since almost 10years now.

how do you down shift from 2nd to 1st when slowing down for a speedbumb?do you need to rev match?

because i remember in my last car ...10 years ago hehe, it didnt let me go from 2-1 it used to make a unsatisfying grinding noise when it did.

also do you need to rev match all the downshifts ,i mean is it easier on the engine.why not just downshift without rev match at low rpms?
so to hijack this thread but ive been wondering about this for a long time and im expecting my car to arrive very soon.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by fun2k
I have a very noobish question regarding downshift,ok here goes plz dont laugh i havent driven a manual since almost 10years now.

how do you down shift from 2nd to 1st when slowing down for a speedbumb?do you need to rev match?

because i remember in my last car ...10 years ago hehe, it didnt let me go from 2-1 it used to make a unsatisfying grinding noise when it did.

also do you need to rev match all the downshifts ,i mean is it easier on the engine.why not just downshift without rev match at low rpms?
so to hijack this thread but ive been wondering about this for a long time and im expecting my car to arrive very soon.
Hijack away

I don't think you need to rev match downshifts especially at Low rpms. I think the rev matching is important when you are grabbing a lower gear at higher rpms.

rev matching is fun and sounds cool.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:02 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts

I might be wrong but I think you'll grind everytime if you don't rev-match doing a 2-1 downshift. Unless you're rolling at like 5mph.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:05 AM
haha i actually meant to say "sorry to hijack this thread"

i was just thinking since this car has long gearing and not a lot of torque at low rpms do you shift to 1st when creeping over bumps or keep going in 2nd?

thanks for the reply m8 and dont u dare try to overtake me in my 135i missile which bottoms out in the corners like its going to roll anytime

Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by nevert00fast
I might be wrong but I think you'll grind everytime if you don't rev-match doing a 2-1 downshift. Unless you're rolling at like 5mph.
Thats also what i believed but need someone to confirm this.ive seen a video of some one downshift from 2-1 in the new gt3 and heard that ugly gear box destroying grinding noise so was curious if todays gearboxs operate differently to the toyota corolla i drove 10years ago.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Thats also what i believed but need someone to confirm this.ive seen a video of some one downshift from 2-1 in the new gt3 and heard that ugly gear box destroying grinding noise so was curious if todays gearboxs operate differently to the toyota corolla i drove 10years ago.
At low speeds, low rpms, downshifting, say, to go over a speedbump, no need to rev match since the revs are so low to begin with. Going from 2nd to 1st around a hairpin on a track...yes...rev match.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Thx man that clears up a lot of things i had on my mind.