Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Anyone going to Infineon Raceway this weekend?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Edwin814 is infamous around these parts
looks great, mike. i'd be very afraid hugging the wall on T11

Old 11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edwin814
I like your Avitar. My son and I love Shaun the sheep

Walls, walls and more walls is all I see at Infineon. My first track experience was at Infineon with BMW club two years ago. The wall did not bother me at all because I was doing 2:30+ lap. Now I am clocking 2 minutes or less then all of a sudden the walls are ALOT closer then what I can recall. When you power out a turn, you push against the opposite wall - yeah, even wife noticed I almost kiss the wall coming off turn 11 as you can see on the video

Infineon used to be my favorite track .... but no more. I like Thunderhill the most since there are alot of open field run off. Laguna is pretty good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0JXDiJox2k

and .... Shaun the sheep lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DFwb3zlDk

Last edited by mikymu; 11-24-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor
Forza Forged is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Edwin814
Your avatar is the best...Love Shaun the sheep...

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Edwin814 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikymu
and .... Shaun the sheep lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DFwb3zlDk
Originally Posted by Forza Forged
Your avatar is the best...Love Shaun the sheep...
lol

Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
I had Nitto NT01 and it took about 3 laps to "kind of" warm up. The track temperature was about 35 - 45 F in the morning and slightly over 50 F in the afternoon. It was coooooold. Not much different than driving on ice lol. Summer tires like mine was no good. I should have use my PS2.

I agree took me well over two laps to get some heat in the M cups, lots of sliding, had lunch with an instructure who told us to back off for the whole day beacuse of the temp, which we did. Saw three cars spin off.

Any way my best time was 2.05 in penultimate session. Was just not worth it beacause of the walls. Car took some getting used to but felt great and FAST!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:27 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by marcw
I agree took me well over two laps to get some heat in the M cups, lots of sliding, had lunch with an instructure who told us to back off for the whole day beacuse of the temp, which we did. Saw three cars spin off.

Any way my best time was 2.05 in penultimate session. Was just not worth it beacause of the walls. Car took some getting used to but felt great and FAST!
The 6 GT3 that crashed in the morning was in my session right in front of me. He took off FAST after first lap and the next time I saw him was next to the wall at turn 7 - all smash up

You were smart to take a easy. It's not worth the trouble to damage your car on a DE event. Hope to see you out at Thunderhill one of these days. that is a super fun track with a-lot of open field and much safer than Infineon

Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 PM
wapita is a jewel in the roughwapita is a jewel in the roughwapita is a jewel in the rough
saturday's weather was a bit better than sunday. Sunday morning saw some light rain. Fun track... Saturday was my first day running at infineon. What's a good time range for a 6gt3?

I was able to turn a 1:58.8 in my 6gt3 on ps2's on sunday afternoon when it warmed up.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
The 6 GT3 that crashed in the morning was in my session right in front of me. He took off FAST after first lap and the next time I saw him was next to the wall at turn 7 - all smash up

You were smart to take a easy. It's not worth the trouble to damage your car on a DE event. Hope to see you out at Thunderhill one of these days. that is a super fun track with a-lot of open field and much safer than Infineon
Already in the planning... will be with the F430 again Life without walls is always better

Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by marcw
Already in the planning... will be with the F430 again Life without walls is always better
This is what Thunderhill looks like. I think there mybe one or two DE event left for the year but I may wait till early next year before I go back. NCRC racing is super cheap and Trackmaster is always a good option

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmY72s-TZlE

Originally Posted by wapita
saturday's weather was a bit better than sunday. Sunday morning saw some light rain. Fun track... Saturday was my first day running at infineon. What's a good time range for a 6gt3?

I was able to turn a 1:58.8 in my 6gt3 on ps2's on sunday afternoon when it warmed up.
Sub 2 minutes is a very good time. Here is a list of record time at Infineon for reference

Typical Lap Times

Lola EX257/AER 1:21.688 Audi R8 1:21.761 Chevrolet Corvette C6-R 1:28.528 Prima Racing 1999 Civic Si driven by Andrie Hartanto 1:50.256 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 1:34.263 Porsche 993 cup ?:?? Spec Miata 1:54.400 Spec Racer Ford 1:52.181 Spec E30, Donny Edwards, 5/5/2007 1.59.959 Dodge Viper ?:?? Porsche 944 spec car 2:02.045 2001 Miata LS 2:07.60 2003 Mitsubishi Evo 8 #42 NASA TTB driven by Yang Tang 1:53.512 2007 NASA TTB Track record

Last edited by mikymu; 11-25-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:47 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
OK, video finally up-loaded. Here is a look at the cold and slippery Infineon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0JXDiJox2k
Mikymu,
Thanks for the vids. The track being cold and damp certainly didn't help with warming the tires I'm sure. I'm not trying to be an armchair racer here or anything but just an observation. You trying to take it easy may have been exactly what sent you into a spin. Being an early 911 owner, I know very well the physics created by rear engine bias with rear wheel drive. And you my friend, committed the #1 cardinal sin with rear engine cars which is to NEVER decelerate while in a turn. What happened to you is a classic baptismal of swapping ends due to the 911 rear weight bias. Don't worry, we've all either been there or will be there at one time or another. Do your braking before hand that way you can accelerate through the turn or at least modulate the throttle through the turn and accelerate as you exit, forcing slight understeer rather than allowing the weight bias to induce oversteer. Glad you were ok and it looks like from there on, you had lots of fun, especially once the tires warmed up a bit and became a little more forgiving. Keep it up!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Mikymu,
Thanks for the vids. The track being cold and damp certainly didn't help with warming the tires I'm sure. I'm not trying to be an armchair racer here or anything but just an observation. You trying to take it easy may have been exactly what sent you into a spin. Being an early 911 owner, I know very well the physics created by rear engine bias with rear wheel drive. And you my friend, committed the #1 cardinal sin with rear engine cars which is to NEVER decelerate while in a turn. What happened to you is a classic baptismal of swapping ends due to the 911 rear weight bias. Don't worry, we've all either been there or will be there at one time or another. Do your braking before hand that way you can accelerate through the turn or at least modulate the throttle through the turn and accelerate as you exit, forcing slight understeer rather than allowing the weight bias to induce oversteer. Glad you were ok and it looks like from there on, you had lots of fun, especially once the tires warmed up a bit and became a little more forgiving. Keep it up!!!
Hey Scott, thanks for the advice and those are very good points. The funny thing is that I already finished my braking before going into turn 2. I carefully accelerate through turn 2 in the video and still spun! You can see all the black tire lines going toward the right. It is a tricky corner for both bikes and cars alike. It was slightly less slippery once the track warm up later in the day

Old 11-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
Why is the video halting / jerky??
Is it the source material or YouTube

Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 PM
996flt6 is infamous around these parts
A good time for a 6gt3 at sp is 1:51-1:53 if dry on mpsc's. Dave potter done 1:48-1:49, mooty is at 1:50-1:51. 1st time there I turned a 1:54(best lap is high 1:52)
when dry(I'm very familiar with sp- my favorite track since I use to run my race spec 83 vw gti many times). Have to sp has the worst water drainage and slippery as hell ESP t2 and carousel. Regards. Mike

Old 11-25-2009, 07:06 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Trundle997
Why is the video halting / jerky??
Is it the source material or YouTube

Videos seem to be streaming fine. You may want to check your browser settings. Look in the help section of Youtube.

Mine was jerky too until I changed the settings and all is good now.

Good luck.