Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

I got a new rear wing... And it moves!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Former Vendor
Wingman (AeroM) is infamous around these parts
It's in development. The only question is making it look good with the new uprights.

Originally Posted by OmahaGT
What about a 997.2 2010-11 GT3 RS deck lid and wing? Thanks.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:14 PM
DanH is infamous around these parts
So can your gubbins fit in the 996 GT3 decklid?

My concern is that I can't get enough front aero on my 996 RS, so I don't even bother using the wing shims at the rear as it just adds drag. I run the cup splitter, but have to run road going ride height.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:13 PM
pirateoc is infamous around these parts
Wondering if the active wing for turbo version is out yet?

And are there going to be split wings for porsche as well? just like GTRs......

Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DanH
So can your gubbins fit in the 996 GT3 decklid?

My concern is that I can't get enough front aero on my 996 RS, so I don't even bother using the wing shims at the rear as it just adds drag. I run the cup splitter, but have to run road going ride height.
What's a gubbins? We are finishing development of the 996 GT3 static wings. The OE mount brackets are done, and we're making the wing shims in the next week (just like you have on the RS).

I've never seen the 996 RS profile. Is it the same as the 997.1 GT3 RS? I would be very curious about the drag on your wing blade compared to our blade.

We're scheduled to track test the 996 GT3 Splitter in 4-6 weeks. PM me if you want to get one of the prototypes for track testing. We don't have a 996 RS in the test group yet.

Greg

Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pirateoc
Wondering if the active wing for turbo version is out yet?

And are there going to be split wings for porsche as well? just like GTRs......
We have the 996 T active wing released. We haven't finished the marketing pics, however. If you have a 997T, PM me.

We won't have a split wing for the turbo's in 2011. If the S1 single piece wings sell well, we'll come out with a split wing. However, selling well is relative to engineering time invested in the project (ROI). Since every lid on the 911 is unique, there is a high dev cost to coming out with Porsche wings. The cost for static dev is about 1/10th the cost of active dev.

So, if you want a split wing on the Turbo, tell your friends to buy the S1, LOL.

Greg

Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Just curious, where on Earth did you get a 997 CAD model? That's Awesome!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 PM
pirateoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Wingman (AeroM)
We have the 996 T active wing released. We haven't finished the marketing pics, however. If you have a 997T, PM me.

We won't have a split wing for the turbo's in 2011. If the S1 single piece wings sell well, we'll come out with a split wing. However, selling well is relative to engineering time invested in the project (ROI). Since every lid on the 911 is unique, there is a high dev cost to coming out with Porsche wings. The cost for static dev is about 1/10th the cost of active dev.

So, if you want a split wing on the Turbo, tell your friends to buy the S1, LOL.

Greg
Thanks for the reply

So the only available wing for porsche currently is S1 if I am not mistaken?
I would definitely like to hear more info on that. However, I cant send you a PM due to my low volume of posts. Maybe we can discuss through email:
yucheng_xx@hotmail.com

Vincent

Old 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by aerogt3
Just curious, where on Earth did you get a 997 CAD model? That's Awesome!
Teams scan them in to make parts, etc. They give us a scanned model, we give them access to full CFD data / track testing results. It works well

Greg

Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Zuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant future
I Need a Wing

Can you build me a 60" or so badass wing for my 73 beast that I can use on the hardcore track days?

Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
im late to this party and I have a bunch of reading to do but I really like what im seeing after the first few pages. This is crazy http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

I am not sure if its been posted, I think its quite old now but I would love to see more of the double aero actuator split wing. I really like where this is going and if they made one for the 997.2 I think i would buy one forsure

I sent a pm ---> I would like to talk to you more about this. This is taking it to another level. Are you really in cambridge ontario canada?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by lopro
im late to this party and I have a bunch of reading to do but I really like what im seeing after the first few pages. This is crazy http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

I am not sure if its been posted, I think its quite old now but I would love to see more of the double aero actuator split wing. I really like where this is going and if they made one for the 997.2 I think i would buy one forsure

I sent a pm ---> I would like to talk to you more about this. This is taking it to another level. Are you really in cambridge ontario canada?
I'm glad you like the wings. That was video of the first prototype. We've come a long way since then.

We're in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The only dynamic wing we currently offer for Porsche is the 996TT wing. It's a direct bolt-on. We stopped developing the GT3 wings because Porsche keeps changing the deck lid design. There's a lot of R&D that goes into making a wing elegantly and safely mount to the deck lid. If we can't amortize that over a fair number of cars, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

In the case of Ferrari, we had one customer who paid for the entire development - including $4k/ hour wind tunnel time. His ROI is a % of each wing sale thereafter. The project has not broken even for him yet, but it was not designed to be an investment vehicle. It was designed to make his car faster and more stable. In that effect, he's been the happiest customer we've ever had. There's something beautiful about watching an F430 overtake an F50 and F40 on track. We're going to repeat the project on the 458C.

There are two ways we could develop a 997.2 RS wing - one customer who finances the development risk (like the Ferrari), or a group buy above a critical mass. The single-piece wing (S1) adapted to the .2 RS would cost 10k in volumes of 4-5, and 8k in volumes of 10-20. If there are enough .2 RS owners who want the wing, we'll make it, and it will be beautiful.

Greg

Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
I'm glad you like the wings. That was video of the first prototype. We've come a long way since then.

We're in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The only dynamic wing we currently offer for Porsche is the 996TT wing. It's a direct bolt-on. We stopped developing the GT3 wings because Porsche keeps changing the deck lid design. There's a lot of R&D that goes into making a wing elegantly and safely mount to the deck lid. If we can't amortize that over a fair number of cars, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

In the case of Ferrari, we had one customer who paid for the entire development - including $4k/ hour wind tunnel time. His ROI is a % of each wing sale thereafter. The project has not broken even for him yet, but it was not designed to be an investment vehicle. It was designed to make his car faster and more stable. In that effect, he's been the happiest customer we've ever had. There's something beautiful about watching an F430 overtake an F50 and F40 on track. We're going to repeat the project on the 458C.

There are two ways we could develop a 997.2 RS wing - one customer who finances the development risk (like the Ferrari), or a group buy above a critical mass. The single-piece wing (S1) adapted to the .2 RS would cost 10k in volumes of 4-5, and 8k in volumes of 10-20. If there are enough .2 RS owners who want the wing, we'll make it, and it will be beautiful.

Greg
Greg,

Regarding the 996 GT3 static wing, a couple questions:

What shims come with (or are available for) the wing? Some of the pics show the wing on uprights with a small gap due to the attach angle. Do the shims make the wing "flow" into the uprights (in terms of looks).

Is there a "normal" angle for the wing (or optimal angle for most applications)? On the stock GT3 wing, folks either run 4 or 8 degrees (I am at 8). Is there an angle on the 65" AM wing (I assume folks grab the 65" wing) that equates to 8 degrees on the small OEM wing?

Lastly, I saw a post about testing a Cup splitter. Do you think there will be a need to adjust splitters with a new AM wing? Or will this really depend on the angle of the wing once installed?

Cheers,

-td

Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
The only dynamic wing we currently offer for Porsche is the 996TT wing. It's a direct bolt-on.
Greg
I was on your site but didn't see anything for 996 Turbo?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
I was on your site but didn't see anything for 996 Turbo?
Sorry, we've been working on a new site and have been slow to update the existing site. I just uploaded the Porsche pics, sorted by car, to the galleries/photos page.

The 996 TT wing is a direct bolt-on to the factory mounting locations. It's rock solid, and requires no paint. You can buy the wing blade in 65" or 57" version.

Greg

Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by himself
Greg,

Regarding the 996 GT3 static wing, a couple questions:

What shims come with (or are available for) the wing? Some of the pics show the wing on uprights with a small gap due to the attach angle. Do the shims make the wing "flow" into the uprights (in terms of looks).

Is there a "normal" angle for the wing (or optimal angle for most applications)? On the stock GT3 wing, folks either run 4 or 8 degrees (I am at 8). Is there an angle on the 65" AM wing (I assume folks grab the 65" wing) that equates to 8 degrees on the small OEM wing?

Lastly, I saw a post about testing a Cup splitter. Do you think there will be a need to adjust splitters with a new AM wing? Or will this really depend on the angle of the wing once installed?

Cheers,

-td
We run the wing with 8 degree shims. The 996 likes a lot of rear downforce.

The stock wing at 8 degrees will under-perform compared to our 65" wing running flat. It's night and day. That's why the European 996 RS has a wing like ours.

You can take the shims out and run the wing flat for street use. The shims do not fare the wing into the uprights. They are skinnier, which reduces drag.

Adding the rear wing will give you a LOT more rear downforce. If you don't upgrade the splitter, you'll have aero understeer, which is safe. Increasing front df with the cup splitter will allow faster turning, and more importantly, help combat some of the nose lift that occurs when running a high downforce rear wing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I got a new rear wing... And it moves!