Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Test drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:53 PM
jimxyz is infamous around these parts
I dont think a test drive is going to be necessary - you will love it. I didnt buy mine new, but I got to test drive it three times before I bought it. I think the sales people are happy to go out for a drive - but I also agree that you probably need to prequal with them a bit to show that you could buy the car if you really wanted to (a 5 min talk with them is usually all it will take). One problem I can see is that the RS allocations appear to be all gone, so you'll have a hard time buying one even if you want to. And I thought I had the perfect wife - congrats! haha

Old 12-03-2009, 05:56 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Does your wife have a sister? lol

There is no point in test drive a GT3. The speed you are going on the street will not even began to show you what the car is capable of. Not much can be had as far as performance difference goes by driving a 997.2S and a GT3 on the street. The true "test" drive is on the track for cars like GT3. If your wife say buy it then check your 401k to make sure you have enough cushion for the next 5 years then go to the dealer and make sure you don't pay over MSRP then drive happy for the next couple year

Old 12-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Most dealerships are hard up right now for a sale. Of course they'll want to "vet" you for your ability to buy, but my guess is they'll let you test drive it...

When I bought my 996TT there wasn't a car on the lot they wouldn't let me drive, and I drove the most powerful car on the lot without hesitation from the manager or salesman... My test drive was 20 minutes and we drove back roads and on the interstate at arrest me speeds... Of course, the salesman knew me from doing DEs with a number of clubs, but still...

A 997GT3? What's not to want?
Mike

Old 12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Flip is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by otisdog
So last night my wife and I went to the premier of the Boxster Spyder and the GT3 RS at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Both cars were quite impressive, the RS had the club sport kit. Grey with red.
What I didn't expect was my wife telling me to get a GT3...we don't even own a Porsche, but have been planning to buy a Cayman S, or "whatever" special Cayman comes out next spring. But she is serious. She suggested we go test drive a GT3 soon, but I told here that I don't think any dealer allows their GT3's to be test driven, much less by someone who has never bought a car from them...
Am I wrong?
No problem getting a test drive....especially if there is a used GT3 on the lot. I guess the bigger question is why do you feel you need to test drive? If you've never driven any Porsche (Cayman, Boxster, 9xx) then you should at least get a sense of the difference in handling between rear engine and mid engine which doesn't require GT3 test drive. If you like the rear engine feel over the mid engine and you have the green light for the GT3....GO FOR IT.

...but my suspicious mind says you will end up with the GT3 and your spouse will have her own Cayman S / Boxster with PDK.

I was fortunate enough to test drive Cayman S, 997C4s, and 997.1 GT3 back to back to back. Nothing like it to give you a real sense of how they feel / handle / perform. 2010 Cayman S on order (Mar 2010)....and if my end of year business goes well....switch to 2010 GT3

Old 12-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Why? He said he's never owned a Porsche... I don't blame him at all... I was in his shoes, and even if I wasn't, I'd never buy a car or mary a woman without "driving" it...

Mike

Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Why? He said he's never owned a Porsche... I don't blame him at all... I was in his shoes, and even if I wasn't, I'd never buy a car or mary a woman without "driving" it...

Mike
I like that!

I say find a used one and test drive it! You will only fall in love.

You have a very cool Wife! Will she be driving it?

-Nathan

Old 12-03-2009, 07:37 PM
rwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to behold
I fit in the "lucky guy" club too. I called around to several dealers in Florida, looking for a GT3 that was available and couldn't find one. My wife called Roslyn Porsche (dealer near her home town on Long Island), found an order slot available, got the salesman's name and number and texted it to me.

Fast forward 6 months.....

My car is now on a truck headed to Fla. Should be here Saturday

2 other wifey tidbits:
1-She can't wait for the car either BUT.....she doesn't know how to drive a stick!
2-Just found out that she got us tickets for the Lingerie Football League game tomorrow night.

My wife....I think I'll keep her....

Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
otisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to behold
First off, I'd like to thank all of you for your collective wisdom - it's been (as usual) very helpful.
A couple of individual replies...
Mikymu - Yes, she has a sister (and you have a wife!) who is actually her twin, but they are worlds different...and I won the draw.
Flip - You could be spot on with your comment about her and the Cayman S...she was the one who was originally attracted to its looks, which got me attracted to it.
Mikelly - I haved owned a Porsche before, a '73 S. My wife loved your "test drive" comment.
Nathan - She doesn't drive a stick...yet. She gave it a shot 15 years ago in my tii, but refuses to try my M3, but a GT3 might tempt her.
I have one more question - Is it safe to assume that the 2010 GT3 will be the last one with the "Metzger" motor?
Thanks, again.