Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Test drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
otisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to behold
GT3 Test drive?

So last night my wife and I went to the premier of the Boxster Spyder and the GT3 RS at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Both cars were quite impressive, the RS had the club sport kit. Grey with red.
What I didn't expect was my wife telling me to get a GT3...we don't even own a Porsche, but have been planning to buy a Cayman S, or "whatever" special Cayman comes out next spring. But she is serious. She suggested we go test drive a GT3 soon, but I told here that I don't think any dealer allows their GT3's to be test driven, much less by someone who has never bought a car from them...
Am I wrong?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
If you show up ready to buy and they know it, I would be shocked if you cannot wrangle a test drive.

My suggestion -- call ahead of time and discuss your concerns with a sales person or sales manager... if you are clear about your intention to purchase something but not without driving it etc... they might be not very forthcoming over the phone as I am sure they get a lot of "can I test drive your GT3" calls from all types of people but if you are cool and they are cool a test drive should not be out of the question...

I test drove mine and I had never purchased from the dealer...
called ahead, discussed the car, discussed price, then said I would visit for a test drive... then i was clear about test driving... I said "I am 33, showing up in an M5, and would be paying cash for the car if we can agree on price -- are you going to give me any bs about taking it out for a test drive?" this question came after 30 mins of discussion clearly showing my interest etc... he said no problem... dealer is 2 hours away so I wanted to get it out in the open before I drove all the way there... ended up test driving three cars with no problem -- salesman came with me which I prefer...

you will love it
nice wife

Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 AM
kush is infamous around these parts
PJS makes some good points.

You may also want to call around to see if you may be able to score a test drive in a used GT3. If you get the chance to drive a MK1 997, I'd imagine it's a close enough comparison to make a purchase decision.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
Yes, some will let you test drive used ones - I know, because I have and let me warn you - you will definately NOT want to buy a Cayman once you experience the GT3 and yes it IS that big of a difference.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
how often did our wives tell us to go buy a GT3??

I say just go buy one without the test drive...I know of many women who like to change their mind without any reason...

BTW I've ordered an RS, and I have never driven any GT3 before.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
you're very lucky to have such a wife. you want a GT3 or an RS? two very different animals in the 997.2 version. you won't be able to test drive the .2RS. however, there are many GT3 sitting in dealers showroom. if you show them you are a serious buyer, i bet you can get a test drive.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
I would buy another without a test drive...
My initial test drive was all of 10 mins and I was sold...

Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
i test drove mines after i paid.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
JUST GO BUY IT!!!! trust me, you will not be dissappointed.

hurry, before she changes her mind.

alan

Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
otisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to beholdotisdog is a splendid one to behold
Yes, I'm very lucky to have the wife I do. She's Serbian, and such an angel - If I could clone her I'd be a very rich man! She won't change here mind...she's the definition of stability.
Oh, I'm looking at just a GT3...24 hours ago it was a Cayman!

Last edited by otisdog; 12-04-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:03 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Make it clear how serious you are and that you won't consider a purchase without a test drive, they'd be foolish not to let you go out at least for a short drive. You really have to spend a little bit of time in a GTx car before deciding whether it's for you or not, and try to drive it back to back w/ the C2S, Cayman S or whatever Porsche you're considering.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:23 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
This is a no-brainer situation. Approval from great wife, you'll love the GT3!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !
Just do it!! You'll find them both to be keepers!!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I went to look at a GT3 recently and was greeted with hesitation on a test drive on a 2010. Since this is only in the consideration stages for me; thats fine.

Did get a test drive in used 07 and can tell you that its a no brainer. Best driving car ever.

If you are not that experienced though, you may be just as happy with a little less sharp of an instrument. I would say test drive several models and then form your own impression.

My impression was less comfortable for longer travel and when in traffic due to sharper ride and higher noise levels. Unmatchable on mountain or coastal roads or on the track. I am speaking from feel and enjoyment rather than speed. My personal choice since the test drive would be GT3, then Caymen/ Boxster, then 911S.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:03 PM
pnoob2 is a jewel in the roughpnoob2 is a jewel in the roughpnoob2 is a jewel in the roughpnoob2 is a jewel in the rough
I didnt even know test driving a gt3 is a problem...i drove into the local stealer and just browsed around...then a sales rep came up to me and offered me a test drive without me asking. I thought I would have to leave my gf behind since I came with her and it was a two seater, but the sales rep gave us the keys and just said have fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Test drive?