PDK Coming to 997.2 GT3 or RS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Former Vendor
Richard@M-World is infamous around these parts
Question PDK Coming to 997.2 GT3 or RS?

Any idea?

I currently have a E92 M3 with DCT, and I enjoy it so much more on the road and on the track vs. my ex 6MT E92 M3. On the road, the car is so much smoother (yes, I suck at manual). On the track, I can focus completely on how to maneuver the car and braking w/o worrying about downshift and rev-matching.

Because of these traits of a dual clutch 'box, I think it will suit the GT3 well as an all-arounder, and the RS as a even faster track car.

So, will it be coming to .2GT3? Or perhaps next gen?

Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Sayyar is infamous around these parts
Although nothing offecial is out yet. But my dealer was talking about this..
indeed this could be the last generation of a manual transmision GT3 and GT3 RS.

Replacing the manual transmision with the PDK could result in a faster and smother GT3, but I personly would always rather have a manual trasmision N/A RS.

Having said that, I have booked my self an RS, as this coud be the last maual transmision GT3 Generation..

Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
I hope that a standard transmission never gets replaced regardless of how much faster the newer trans will be. I had an SMG trans e46 m3 and while it was fun, I just have so much more fun in a 6 speed. You feel more connected to the car as a driver IMO.

I really hope if the next generation GT cars start being built with PDK or similar dual clutch transmissions that there is an option to stay with a traditional 6 speed. I feel they would have to do that or far to many people would be upset with Porsche.

I haven't heard anything from any sales reps or read anything either about new transmissions for the .2 gt3, but since the end is near for the 997 I don't see why they would change the transmission in the final years of production.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 AM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
I expect this will be the last gen to have manual only. I am looking forward to getting it, but ultimately the manual is doomed, I fear. Look at the Ferrari 458 and GT-R and see the future.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
BMWPower06 is infamous around these parts
It's porsche...the manual transmission will always be available regardless, the DCT may be an option in the future however.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BMWPower06
It's porsche...the manual transmission will always be available regardless, the DCT may be an option in the future however.
I agree. The GT3/RS is a niche car with a loyal group of followers who very much enjoy manual transmissions, so it does not make sense that manual will be dropped.

That said, why did they not put in PDK for 997.2 GT3? Doesn't the Turbo have it already? So obviously the PDK can handle the power/torque?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
once the GT3 and RS get the new engine, PDK will be available.

I recently test drove the Ferrari California. Its paddle shifting is very fast, but the drive turns out to be just fast but rather boring to me, as my left foot is not doing anything. I eventually put it back to automatic.

6 speed manual transmission for my fun car any day. Don't care if the pdk car next to me is faster.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rldzhao
I agree. The GT3/RS is a niche car with a loyal group of followers who very much enjoy manual transmissions, so it does not make sense that manual will be dropped.

That said, why did they not put in PDK for 997.2 GT3? Doesn't the Turbo have it already? So obviously the PDK can handle the power/torque?

It can not be adapted to the current engine (which the older tried and true dry sump Mezger); at least not cost effectively. The 997.2 turbo has the new engine.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 911dev
It can not be adapted to the current engine (which the older tried and true dry sump Mezger); at least not cost effectively. The 997.2 turbo has the new engine.
can you elaborate a little further please?

Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
No clutch... no more power slides !

I met a driver who was lapping in a 911 with PDK last summer. The guy is kind of radical having completely stripped his C2S for track purpose. He was really fast but was telling me he was even faster when leaving it in automatic mode. The transmission was doing a better job than what a driver could do with these buttons.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Grant is infamous around these parts
In the latest issue of Panorama (received mine this week), Walter Rohrl said that the Nurburgring times of the Cayman S and 997.2 Turbo were exactly the same with PDK and 6spd. So, there is no reason to assume a PDK GT3 will be any faster (except maybe in a drag race) than a Manual tranny GT3.

Remember that Walter is a paid employee of Porsche and Porsche has an interest in talking up the PDK. Also, you would think that if PDK ever had an advantage, it would be with the Turbo where the shifting requires no interrruption of power (the turbochargers never slow on upshifts). So, if Walter says it makes Zero seconds improvement on the 'Ring then that is the best case scenario for the PDK cars.

Last edited by Grant; 12-11-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
exactly! manual for the GT models will be available in the future.
maybe not in 20 years but def. for the 10 years at least.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
exactly! GT models will def. be available with 6-speed in the future.
maybe not in 20 years but at least for the next 10 years imho.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
I find it hard to believe that a pdk turbo is really not any faster than a manual around a road course? Maybe as a professional, there may be a minimal difference, but I would think that a pdk tranny would make 95% of the drivers out there put up quicker laps

Old 12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Grant
In the latest issue of Panorama (received mine this week), Walter Rohrl said that the Nurburgring times of the Cayman S and 997.2 Turbo were exactly the same with PDK and 6spd. So, there is no reason to assume a PDK GT3 will be any faster (except maybe in a drag race) than a Manual tranny GT3.

Remember that Walter is a paid employee of Porsche and Porsche has an interest in talking up the PDK. Also, you would think that if PDK ever had an advantage, it would be with the Turbo where the shifting requires no interrruption of power (the turbochargers never slow on upshifts). So, if Walter says it makes Zero seconds improvement on the 'Ring then that is the best case scenario for the PDK cars.
Doubtless that is true for driver of Rohrl's calibre, but it may be quite a different matter for less talented drivers. I suspect that an average driver will make a better time on PDK.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK Coming to 997.2 GT3 or RS?