Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Rear bumper hitch mount is not a good idea ... legally

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
One day something will fail on the RS, and when it does, you'll wish you had a trailer. IMO, trailering is the way to go. If you drive hard, then at some point something will happen. Plus, there seems just something so wrong about putting a hitch on a GT3....I can't even bare the thought on my lowly M3. Tires wear out, wheel bearings go bad, etc. etc....there are so many things that will happen as time goes on.

For example, my alternator died this past weekend, if I hadn't had a trailer, it would have been an expensive tow home.

Plus, it saves heat cylces on your NT01's/Rcomps if you drive to the track on them. Hell, you can buy a brand new lightweight, open steel trailer for $2400.....you don't need some $10,000 aluminum mack daddy to get the job done.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM
ErikG is infamous around these parts
One day something will fail on the RS, and when it does, you'll wish you had a trailer. IMO, trailering is the way to go. If you drive hard, then at some point something will happen. Plus, there seems just something so wrong about putting a hitch on a GT3....I can't even bare the thought on my lowly M3. Tires wear out, wheel bearings go bad, etc. etc....there are so many things that will happen as time goes on.

For example, my alternator died this past weekend, if I hadn't had a trailer, it would have been an expensive tow home.

Plus, it saves heat cylces on your NT01's/Rcomps if you drive to the track on them. Hell, you can buy a brand new lightweight, open steel trailer for $2400.....you don't need some $10,000 aluminum mack daddy to get the job done.
Well, this is exactly why I tow the little trailer. I did 10 years without, now I can take a spare set of RA1's and use the other ones until they cord. I've had it to a few events now, tows fine up to about 80 mph, usually I now only do about 75 with the trailer instead of 90.
Only bad thing was that at the last track event my car sprung a leak, and now I had to pay AAA to tow the trailer home (they made me a deal for $150 for 120 miles). I've since then upgraded my AAA to RV for something like $20 extra and now my "trailer" is covered too :-)

P.s. It's not that I don't want a real trailer, and I have a Cayenne Turbo to tow one, but I don't have anywhere to store it, and having to drop it off after every track event at a storage place is just too much work. Besides, RS will be fine as a tow vehicle. If you see all the caravans being towed thru Europe with lowly Opels and Peugots with 1.3 to 1.6 liter engines, you realize that my measly little trailer will do no damage.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:41 PM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
Erik,

Can you post a link to where you got the hitch and trailer?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 AM
I bought my trailer used. But it was made by Southsport Trailer out of Sanford FL, with phone # of 800 253 9387 per sticker on the fender. They may or may not be in business anymore.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by ErikG
I bought my trailer used. But it was made by Southsport Trailer out of Sanford FL, with phone # of 800 253 9387 per sticker on the fender. They may or may not be in business anymore.
Thanks. But could you tell me where you got your hitch specifically?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Seems to be a home job. Any competent welder should be able to do this. Standard ball welded to standard tow hook

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Seems to be a home job. Any competent welder should be able to do this. Standard ball welded to standard tow hook
Oh, now I get it. Thanks for the photo.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I like this design. Simple and easy.