Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

SharkWerks GT3 Track Exhaust Released: Video Included

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Lightbulb SharkWerks GT3 Track Exhaust Released: Video Included

Hey guys,
We have had a lot of great feedback on our GT3 product line, especially our bypass exhaust systems which many of you are currently running.

One request we've had from several GT3 owners was for a product similar to the Cup car exhaust, something that outflows the existing options and weighs considerably less than stock.

We've hinted at this a few times and leaked some details, but now it's official:
The Shark Werks 997 GT3 Track Exhaust

The SharkWerks GT3 Track Exhaust system, which has been designed, developed and tested on our 2007 997 GT3RS (ZKERMIT) and 2010 997 GT3 shop cars, dramatically reduces the weight in the rear by 57 pounds. Utilizing two lightweight stainless steel race mufflers (each weighing two pounds) and three inch stainless steel piping, the entire system weighs eleven pounds and looks much akin to a Cup car set up. Installation is made easy via the use of stainless steel CNC'd flanges. Factory clamps and ceramic seals are retained for an OEM seal at the header/catalyst junction.

Here's a video we put together showing the product, installation and dyno tuning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15SD8XYFX2Q

Features
- Cup car derived, VERY aggressive sporty sound (see videos)
- Real 57 pound weight savings from the rear of the car
- Aggressive slash-cut 3" tips
- 18 gauge T304 tungsten inert gas welded stainless steel
- Designed in-house and manufactured in the US
- Does not interfere with emissions and 50 state legal
- Factory headers and catalysts retained (no Check Engine Lights)
- Direct bolt-on replacing factory center and side mufflers
- Fits the 2007-2008 997 GT3/GT3RS & 2010 Model GT3s

Dyno Chart

Top to bottom shown are:
-EVOMSit Software with SharkWerks Track Exhaust
-EVOMSit Software only
-Factory stock 2010 GT3

The tuning involves a more aggressive fuel map, timing advance optimization for specific grades of fuel, and a more responsive accelerator pedal.

Summary
With software only, the 2010 GT3 went from 392 RWHP to 404 RWHP at the peak. The car gained about this much horsepower for most of its RPM range.

The car gained over 10 ft-lb of torque at its peak around 6600 RPM and more torque throughout the RPM range.

With the exhaust and software, the gains were higher, bringing it up to 414 RWHP at the peak (22 RWHP net gain), more torque at the peak, and a large gain in torque between 3700 and 5400 RPMs. There is a small drop off in torque below 3400 RPMs which is outside the typical driving range on the track

Here's a video made by our friends at AWD Motorsports in Florida, who did prototype testing of this product as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99V0cS_VaI

If you happen to be from Florida they can demo and install the part for you as well.

Earplugs Not Included

This product is very loud and not wife approved. If you want a more street-friendly exhaust, please consider our bypass exhaust instead.

There is considerable interior noise under acceleration with the Track Exhaust. This is not something we would recommend installing on a street car. It is significantly louder than the factory exhaust or the SharkWerks 997 GT3 Bypass Exhaust System. Please be aware of how loud this system is and try to avoid public roads with traffic. There is a "safe" range for cruising at about 70-75 MPH by keeping the car in 6th gear in the 3000 RPM range that can be used to transport the car to and from a track.

My Opinion
I've driven several hundred miles with GT3 and GT3 RS models using this exhaust system now, and I am pretty excited about what it offers. While it's not something I'd want to commute with , it has a unique and exotic tone, and is much more tolerable than the straight pipe-options I had heard in the past.

Having been both a passenger and in the car following another running this exhaust, I believe it's not as loud as some of the other traffic on the road. It's louder than almost any cars, but quieter than some motorcycles and V8-domestic muscle cars you may hear. Still, it will put you in the top 1% of loud vehicles on the road and would certainly not be something you could sneak around town in without gathering attention. And this is why we call it a Track Exhaust.

Please email myself alex@sharkwerks.com or Dan dan@sharkwerks.com with questions or for more information. We have five units ready to ship today.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
That is nice Sharky

Old 12-23-2009, 10:56 PM
gixxer_drew is infamous around these parts
Coming from someone who works in ALMS that sounds a LOT or like... almost exactly like the GT2 porsches we compete with, flying lizard, the falken car we were pitted next to Falken at the last race. The tone and aggression of the sound...

Old 12-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Thanks for Mentioning us Alex.. My video is WEAK compared to your compilation.. I was using a Go Pro which clearly muffles the sound compared to your video which sounds PERFECT.. I will need to also step up our Video Editing Game.. LOL

As Alex said, Anyone in the area is welcome to stop by to hear the system on our car.. Please give us a heads up as the car isnt driven daily.. Well be glad to take you on a test run in it also so you can hear that at cruising it is very tolerable..

Oh and please bear with us we are having our site COMPLETELY redesigned as we speak.. I haven't bothered to add anything to it knowing its going to be changed 100% and ill have to reload all the items in the new Ecommerce Site..

Thanks!!

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; 12-23-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:15 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
I was at Thunderhill when James showed up in his RS with your race exhaust. I thought to myself, why is my sharkwerks exhaust so quiet? LOL

The weight loss from the rear is almost worth the hearing loss. I tried driving with ear plugs on the track and I could not hear anything ... including the squeal from my tires before I lost traction

Very nice system Alex. It's Laguna Seca legal right? I can't believe Laguna has sound limit for DE but not race. My ear drum burst while watching ALMS race at Laguna two months ago.

Does it drone? It lost some mid range torque due to reduce exhaust back pressure right?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu
I was at Thunderhill when James showed up in his RS with your race exhaust. I thought to myself, why is my sharkwerks exhaust so quiet? LOL

The weight loss from the rear is almost worth the hearing loss. I tried driving with ear plugs on the track and I could not hear anything ... including the squeal from my tires before I lost traction

Very nice system Alex. It's Laguna Seca legal right? I can't believe Laguna has sound limit for DE but not race. My ear drum burst while watching ALMS race at Laguna two months ago.

Does it drone? It lost some mid range torque due to reduce exhaust back pressure right?
I find the pitch it cruises at is not a drone.. Its a deeper pitch and doesnt hum really.. I find it to be no issue to talk on my cell or with a passenger at all.. is it loud, sure it is.. Do most people on the road appreciate it when they hear it, YES.. Its no honda w/ fartcan or open header camaro.. LOL

MIke

Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
I find the pitch it cruises at is not a drone.. Its a deeper pitch and doesnt hum really.. I find it to be no issue to talk on my cell or with a passenger at all.. is it loud, sure it is.. Do most people on the road appreciate it when they hear it, YES.. Its no honda w/ fartcan or open header camaro.. LOL

MIke
LOL

It's definitely not a fart can. I follow James' RS for lunch at Thunderhill and it sounds great! Not annoying loud at all. Nice to hear it does not drone. I can't stand exhaust that drone that's why my M3's titanium Meisterschaft exhaust sits on the shelf most of the year - it drone like mad around 3K RPM

Old 12-23-2009, 11:51 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !

Heh yep I have footage of you as well... Funny because I almost added it to this video. Damn you green RS' everywhere confusing things I should post video of it later on a 3.9 motor since we've shown it on a 3.6 and then a 3.8....

I think you'd like it at the track but it's still so nice to be able to turn it on and off... and even when it's "on" there's no drone at all. I'm a big fan of the original Oh and Laguna Seca would probably black flag you somewhere in the Highway 1...

On the 3.8 car it actually gained all the way from 3400 and up (15-18hp) but below that range (if you're there in a GT3 then you need some more weight on your foot!) it lost about 7tq. But we did this stuff way back for Fred's car and just never followed up on it until we say the cup cars with the same headers and then the same exhaust as Fred's old set up. Made us think hmm....

Thanks for Mentioning us Alex.. My video is WEAK compared to your compilation.. I was using a Go Pro which clearly muffles the sound compared to your video which sounds PERFECT.. I will need to also step up our Video Editing Game.. LOL

As Alex said, Anyone in the area is welcome to stop by to hear the system on our car.. Please give us a heads up as the car isnt driven daily.. Well be glad to take you on a test run in it also so you can hear that at cruising it is very tolerable..

Oh and please bear with us we are having our site COMPLETELY redesigned as we speak.. I haven't bothered to add anything to it knowing its going to be changed 100% and ill have to reload all the items in the new Ecommerce Site..

Thanks!!

Mike
Thanks Mike... I can't take credit. The wife and her crazy-expensive (and overly complex) Avid station used her skills so... I love the GoPro HD and to be honest we should have used it but around the streets of NorCal with Kermit wasn't an option Really glad you're out in FL as there's a nice crowd of GT3s there. And yes for the street guys we've got the right solution

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
That is nice Sharky
Thanks dude!

Originally Posted by gixxer_drew
Coming from someone who works in ALMS that sounds a LOT or like... almost exactly like the GT2 porsches we compete with, flying lizard, the falken car we were pitted next to Falken at the last race. The tone and aggression of the sound...
Cheers very much gixxer... Coming from you that means a lot Funny but if you take a pic of one of those very cup cars you'll see the same headers and the same style exhaust

Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Former Vendor
LOL

It's definitely not a fart can. I follow James' RS for lunch at Thunderhill and it sounds great! Not annoying loud at all. Nice to hear it does not drone. I can't stand exhaust that drone that's why my M3's titanium Meisterschaft exhaust sits on the shelf most of the year - it drone like mad around 3K RPM
Same reason I dumped the Exhaust on my M5 and went back to stock.. It was cool for about a week and then it was nothing short of horrible to drive with it unless i was WOT..

Mike

Old 12-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Heh yep I have footage of you as well... Funny because I almost added it to this video. Damn you green RS' everywhere confusing things I should post video of it later on a 3.9 motor since we've shown it on a 3.6 and then a 3.8....

I think you'd like it at the track but it's still so nice to be able to turn it on and off... and even when it's "on" there's no drone at all. I'm a big fan of the original Oh and Laguna Seca would probably black flag you somewhere in the Highway 1...

On the 3.8 car it actually gained all the way from 3400 and up (15-18hp) but below that range (if you're there in a GT3 then you need some more weight on your foot!) it lost about 7tq. But we did this stuff way back for Fred's car and just never followed up on it until we say the cup cars with the same headers and then the same exhaust as Fred's old set up. Made us think hmm....
Yo Alex, could you post a video of my RS' drive by at TH pretty please? I see people tapping at the side of TH all the time and always wonder what my sharkwerks exhaust sound like blasting down the straights.

on getting black flag on hwy 1. Those folks at Laguna are some serious sound ****. I got black flag by passing gas in the restroom LOL

Losing some mid range torque is common with free flowing exhaust that's why race cars with straight pipes live on high revs. They use mid range Rev to drive up the race trailer

Last edited by mikymu; 12-24-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Same reason I dumped the Exhaust on my M5 and went back to stock.. It was cool for about a week and then it was nothing short of horrible to drive with it unless i was WOT..

Mike
Just watch your video ... that's one fast M5!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Yo Alex, could you post a video of my RS' drive by at TH pretty please? I see people tapping at the side of TH all the time and always wonder what my sharkwerks exhaust sound like blasting down the straights.

on getting black flag on hwy 1. Those folks at Laguna are some serious sound ****. I got black flag by passing gas in the restroom LOL

Losing some mid range torque is common with free flowing exhaust that's why race cars with straight pipes live on high revs. They use mid range Rev to drive up the race trailer
I'll get that for you after the holidays if I can convince the wife to turn on the Avid station one more time (frustratingly hard software to use) as it sounded good

On Laguna I think we should maybe just have electric cars out there at this point;(

Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor
RSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond repute
Nice System

Alex, the exhaust looks and sounds great. Can't wait to hear it on the track. Great work from the boys at Sharkwerks.

RSSmike

Old 12-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by RSSmike
Alex, the exhaust looks and sounds great. Can't wait to hear it on the track. Great work from the boys at Sharkwerks.

RSSmike
Danke and have a great holiday... See you in the new year!

Old 12-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Former Vendor
Just watch your video ... that's one fast M5!!!
Thanks.. The car is a blast to drive.. 4350lbs w/ driver and somehow it manages to run Mid 10's.. LOL

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SharkWerks GT3 Track Exhaust Released: Video Included