Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

excellence gt2 vs zr1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 05:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTII
In the late '90's, GM adapted the Porsche 944 driveline to the Corvette. They have been developing the car through the ALMS racing program ever since. At the same time, Porsche in order to survive, had to adapt many Japanese manufacturing techniques, starting with the 996. They then spent the last ten years building boxsters and SUV's. So, if you don't have a GT2 or a GT3, you pretty much have a Japanese inspired car!.
Angry?..... no, just informed.
If you don't believe me, go to any track-day program in the country and you will see Boxsters running with Miatas, Carreras running with Nissans and GT2's & GT3's chasing Z06 & ZR1 Corvettes.
To be informed you couldn't have less information.......

All of the Japanese Manufacturers have been using the Porsche for benchmarks since forever, look at their commercials and who they emulate. Look at the parts and concepts they've taken from past and present Porsche models.

An American track-day program has nothing to do with manufacturer inspiration. There are MORE Porsche's at the track than anything else, in fact, Porsche has the biggest enthusiast tracking program in the world. Why? Because Porsche's race and win all over the world, so people buy the cars and put them on the track all over the world.

A boxster wasn't created to compete with a Miata, nor a Carrera a Nissan.

Any more information you'd like to share?

Originally Posted by mcar00
So basically it's your premise that it's the World War II vets that are buying up all the ZR1's and not the guys who just want to go fast? I guess it's possible, but I think you may be over complicating it. Maybe some drivers just want super car performance while spending as little as possible.

Never said anything about Vets, but take a look around and you'll see that the demographic of the Corvette fanbase is an older bunch. How do you think Corvette's ended up with the hamburger meat showing through shirts and gold chains stigma's?

And no the car is not designed for, or being bought by people just wanting to go fast. The interior wasn't made any more hardcore because GM knew the people who would buy the car were older and wanted soft rides still, same for the magnetic ride instead of some hardcore track features. If this were being made for young guys, it would have been more ACR like with hardcore packages and features. The older corvette bunch will buy it because they remember the first iteration of the ZR-1 and it's limited production. They could care less how fast it is, they want the corvette name and collectible. They also want something connected with Corvette Racing.

For the most part, guys that want to go fast aren't buying ZR-1's. Who would want a SC to go fast on a road course? Who would want more weight over the Z06 to go fast? By and large, guys that wan't to go fast in a Corvette are in Z06's.

Far more ZR-1's will be garage queens than road or drag raced, that is a fact and is the same for the rest of Corvette nation. That's not to say there won't be plenty of people going fast in them, but that is not the purpose of the ZR-1, which in itself is a throwback name to remind GUESS WHO of the heritage of the car.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
If we are going to talk about who is copying who, then remember where the otto cycle, wankle, and diesel came from.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:16 PM
mcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Never said anything about Vets, but take a look around and you'll see that the demographic of the Corvette fanbase is an older bunch. How do you think Corvette's ended up with the hamburger meat showing through shirts and gold chains stigma's?

And no the car is not designed for, or being bought by people just wanting to go fast. The interior wasn't made any more hardcore because GM knew the people who would buy the car were older and wanted soft rides still, same for the magnetic ride instead of some hardcore track features. If this were being made for young guys, it would have been more ACR like with hardcore packages and features. The older corvette bunch will buy it because they remember the first iteration of the ZR-1 and it's limited production. They could care less how fast it is, they want the corvette name and collectible. They also want something connected with Corvette Racing.

For the most part, guys that want to go fast aren't buying ZR-1's. Who would want a SC to go fast on a road course? Who would want more weight over the Z06 to go fast? By and large, guys that wan't to go fast in a Corvette are in Z06's.

Far more ZR-1's will be garage queens than road or drag raced, that is a fact and is the same for the rest of Corvette nation. That's not to say there won't be plenty of people going fast in them, but that is not the purpose of the ZR-1, which in itself is a throwback name to remind GUESS WHO of the heritage of the car.
Rather than just disagree with everything you just said I'll just say this. For years I've been reading comments from guys who purchased expensive sports cars whose performance was exceeded by less expensive competition. First there was the "interior" criticism, then came the "lack of feel" criticism and now we have a new one! It seems the average age of the average Corvette owner can now be spun as the latest "uncool" reason not to buy a Corvette. It's really getting old. How about if I just agree not to argue with all your criticisms and in return you continue to give me quick point by signals at the track so as not to slow my momentum? Deal?

Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PJS
GT2 RS is imminent
The 991(998) GT2 also has an accelerated launch date according to Peich of VW. He is suggesting a date of 2012-2013, and leaning on Porsche to start cranking out new models at a very accelerated pace. The 991 GT2 will have carbon composite body panels and a sequential shifter.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:29 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Rather than just disagree with everything you just said I'll just say this. For years I've been reading comments from guys who purchased expensive sports cars whose performance was exceeded by less expensive competition. First there was the "interior" criticism, then came the "lack of feel" criticism and now we have a new one! It seems the average age of the average Corvette owner can now be spun as the latest "uncool" reason not to buy a Corvette. It's really getting old. How about if I just agree not to argue with all your criticisms and in return you continue to give me quick point by signals at the track so as not to slow my momentum? Deal?
I grew to love the Vette, after driving them at the racing school at Bob Bondurant in AZ. They use the Z51 (C6?), and it is a great car. I have never liked the look of the rear of the Corvette, but that is personal preference, and the ZR-1 is one fantastic car.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
So basically it's your premise that it's the World War II vets that are buying up all the ZR1's and not the guys who just want to go fast? I guess it's possible, but I think you may be over complicating it. Maybe some drivers just want super car performance while spending as little as possible.
maybe you meant baby boomers. any living ww II vets are in their 80's at the minimum

Originally Posted by heavychevy
To be informed you couldn't have less information.......

All of the Japanese Manufacturers have been using the Porsche for benchmarks since forever, look at their commercials and who they emulate. Look at the parts and concepts they've taken from past and present Porsche models.

An American track-day program has nothing to do with manufacturer inspiration. There are MORE Porsche's at the track than anything else, in fact, Porsche has the biggest enthusiast tracking program in the world. Why? Because Porsche's race and win all over the world, so people buy the cars and put them on the track all over the world.

A boxster wasn't created to compete with a Miata, nor a Carrera a Nissan.

Any more information you'd like to share?

agree ^

if the last Zr1 is any indication, sales will tank once the guys who want and can afford one have their turn. the last zr1 sold fewer than 500 units in the final 2 years of production.

bottom line is there is more to a car than track numbers and i dont see what the zr1 has to offer other than sheer performance.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:54 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
In the late '90's, GM adapted the Porsche 944 driveline to the Corvette. They have been developing the car through the ALMS racing program ever since. At the same time, Porsche in order to survive, had to adapt many Japanese manufacturing techniques, starting with the 996. They then spent the last ten years building boxsters and SUV's. So, if you don't have a GT2 or a GT3, you pretty much have a Japanese inspired car!.
Angry?..... no, just informed.
If you don't believe me, go to any track-day program in the country and you will see Boxsters running with Miatas, Carreras running with Nissans and GT2's & GT3's chasing Z06 & ZR1 Corvettes.
FYI: There isn't a ZR1 or Z06 I have ever chased on the track. Please bring either one of yours to an event to see.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:59 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
The 991(998) GT2 also has an accelerated launch date according to Peich of VW. He is suggesting a date of 2012-2013, and leaning on Porsche to start cranking out new models at a very accelerated pace. The 991 GT2 will have carbon composite body panels and a sequential shifter.
Yep, except it will be way sooner than that.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 PM
mcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Bara
bottom line is there is more to a car than track numbers and i dont see what the zr1 has to offer other than sheer performance.
I guess this is where you and I differ, not that there's anything wrong with that. My cars get more track miles than street miles. Try and get your car out on a road course or, better yet, attend a driving school and maybe you'll have a blast and get hooked.

Bottom line is there is more to a car than the number of coats of Zaino on it.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
I guess this is where you and I differ, not that there's anything wrong with that. My cars get more track miles than street miles. Try and get your car out on a road course or, better yet, attend a driving school and maybe you'll have a blast and get hooked.

Bottom line is there is more to a car than the number of coats of Zaino on it.
i much prefer the porsche over the vette or viper at the track or on the street. if you prefer a blunt instrument over precision, its your choice.

Last edited by Bara; 12-27-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:58 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
I guess it is true that it takes more than just numbers to make a great driver's car. If you look at Motor Trend's and Auto Express's Car of the year competetion for 2009, the ZR-1 took 6th and 13th place, respectively. In both comparisons, the testers fell in love with the power of the Vette, but they were not crazy about the cheap interior, darty steering, heavy gear change, lack of stability and lively tail end. The ZR-1 apparently makes a great track car, but a great road car must compromise. Interestingly, on the track that Auto Express uses, the 2008 GT2 set the record, beating the ZR-1's time by one-tenth of a second. I suppose different tracks favor different cars.

Last edited by USCCayman; 12-28-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:19 AM
GTII is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
I guess it is true that it takes more than just numbers to make a great driver's car. If you look at Motor Trend's and Auto Express's Car of the year competetion for 2009, the ZR-1 took 6th and 13th place, respectively. In both comparisons, the testers fell in love with the power of the Vette, but they were not crazy about the cheap interior, darty steering, heavy gear change, lack of stability and lively tail end. The ZR-1 apparently makes a great track car, but a great road car must compromise. Interestingly, on the track that Auto Express uses, the 2008 GT2 set the record, beating the ZR-1's time by one-tenth of a second. I suppose different tracks favor different cars.
When a 100k car loses to a 200k car by one-tenth of a second, it still wins. Put a set of cup tires on the ZR1 and the GT2 is toast!

Old 12-28-2009, 05:31 AM
HRTC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
Care to divulge where your getting this info?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 AM
JAYPOTML is infamous around these parts
of course the $194k gt2 had the better interior than the $108k chevrolet though.[/quote]

the Vette uses the same steering wheel as a malabu, how cheap!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 AM
When a 100k car loses to a 200k car by one-tenth of a second, it still wins. Put a set of cup tires on the ZR1 and the GT2 is toast!
This comment is a prime example of why people get to make choices. Some people have no choice but to get the vette, some people choose to pay more for a Porsche, and some can purchase either or both. In any instance, we do it for many reasons. There is a value associated with the purchase, there is an investment decision, there is a quality decision, etc. Each car also has a resale value based on the miles of the car, the condition of the car, quality of production, etc. As you get older and more mature in life, you will be able to understand this type of thinking. Using price alone as a means to defense is not quite rational.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: excellence gt2 vs zr1