Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 as a Daily Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:18 PM
SHAIKH has a spectacular aura aboutSHAIKH has a spectacular aura about
GT3 as a Daily Drive

i finally sold my 997 Turbo as i really didnt like the squeaking sound from the ceramic brakes

i am looking for a daily car and am in between a cl63 and 997 mkII GT3. i know they are totally apart and i am leaning towards the GT3 as i love sports cars.

i am confused as i already have a '09 Ferrari Scuderia and still love everything about the GT3

i was waiting for the GT3 RS but the first car only comes in september 2010 and i cant be bothered to wait soo long

Do you think it will be suitable for a daily drive....i live 20 min from work with a little bit of traffic

thanks

Old 12-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
DD? absolutely

Old 12-26-2009, 01:53 PM
iliasgk74 is infamous around these parts
i have pccm brakes and i have no sound(mod06).

Old 12-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
I DD mine, love it

Old 12-26-2009, 02:15 PM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
Well, if you sold your Turbo because of brake noise, your budget is obviously much more....ugh, flexible than mine. Generally speaking, the PCCB brakes are quieter than than the iron rotors, and the Turbo model is quieter and more refined, overall, than the GT3. So, I'm not sure what you seek. The GT3 is a great driver's car, and since trading cars in this price range is apparently affordable for you, give it a try. I prefer the more basic 996 GT3, but the 997 version is a better daily driver and all around street car.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:17 PM
GTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud ofGTGuy has much to be proud of
DO IT! if it was a GT2, forget it!

Old 12-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
I'd never in a million years get a GT3 as a DD. I'm selling my 997S because it just is not conducive for a DD. You already have a Scud for a "fun" car....IMO the CL63 would be the pick for you.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:53 PM
SirBells is infamous around these parts
Clk63 b.s.
More comfort, quiet with no noise from the gears (lwfw) pccb and lower road noise....
Check it out!

Old 12-26-2009, 03:37 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by amerlemans
I'd never in a million years get a GT3 as a DD. I'm selling my 997S because it just is not conducive for a DD. You already have a Scud for a "fun" car....IMO the CL63 would be the pick for you.

That's funny!

Old 12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911dev
That's funny!
It is pretty funny driving a car with no backseat, no trunk, high level of interior noise and a racing suspension to the office each day. Then go grab a client for lunch......on your way home stop at the drycleaners and hang it from the interior bars. Yup, makes all the sense in the world to me.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:19 PM
jimxyz is infamous around these parts
^^^ I agree. I used my 07 as a DD for a while - 100+ miles per day, LA traffic, nightmare parking lots and potholes etc... Finally bought a second car. The GT3 did very well as a DD, and most of the time I loved it. But I go into downtown quite a bit, haul clients and files and other junk and it was painful to use the GT3 for all of that stuff. I drive too much for work to have the GT3 as a DD, and not having bluetooth, Sirius etc was also a bit of a bummer.
But having it as a second car is awesome!

Old 12-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jimxyz
^^^ I agree. I used my 07 as a DD for a while - 100+ miles per day, LA traffic, nightmare parking lots and potholes etc... Finally bought a second car. The GT3 did very well as a DD, and most of the time I loved it. But I go into downtown quite a bit, haul clients and files and other junk and it was painful to use the GT3 for all of that stuff. I drive too much for work to have the GT3 as a DD, and not having bluetooth, Sirius etc was also a bit of a bummer.
But having it as a second car is awesome!
Exactly^^^

I would love to have a 997GT3 as a second car but I want too much out of a DD to be able to swing both. I just don't think any 911 works as a DD for those that have to haul files, clients, drycleaning, golf clubs, etc.

Personally, I'm thinking E90/92 M3 w/DCT and then start looking for a 993 for around $30K.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:17 PM
gt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to behold
Shaikh,

Where about in Oman do you live? This will very much depend on whether the GT3 is a good DD. Where is your parking? I know Oman pretty well and while the roads have improved a lot lately, getting into some of the offices and shops still requires maneuvering around a bit of rough ground and steep slopes. If you are looking at a mark II, I would definitely recommend getting the "nose lift" system.

I live in Bahrain and I use mine as a DD. I have about a 30mins drive to work and have no problems with it as a DD. However, brakes do still squeel (steel brakes).

I am on a flight to Oman in 15 mins and so I hope the weather there is fine. I am coming down for a few days to check out the house we are building at Muscat Hills. I am in town for 4 days and so if you want to catch up - pm me.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
I wouldnt enjoy my Gt3 as a daily.. Maybe because i am a bigger guy.. I loved my M5 as a daily.. Auto mode for cruising without a fuss to shift and paddle when i wanted to play a little bit.. I would take a CLS for a daily myself..

Mike

Old 12-26-2009, 11:43 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
If you have a Scud.... go for the CL63. The GT3 will obviously be more comfortable than the Scud, but its still a little rough as a DD, especially if you have other options. My daily is an E60 M5, which gives me a great balance between my 2 cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: GT3 as a Daily Drive