Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Friend says it's a BIG mistake to consider changing the Pilot Cups on my new GT3?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Nugget is infamous around these parts
My RS came with PS2 Cups and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. Didn't like them on the track and *hated* them on the street. They're absolutely terrifying in the wet.

I went with RE-11s for the street and Hoosiers for the track and I couldn't be happier. The Corsas are also a great tire if you want to keep with a single tire for both track and street, but for street only I don't think they're enough better to justify the price over other options.

I had the Pirelli Rossos on my C2S and wouldn't recommend them. Expensive and nothing special. One track day would ruin them and they were loud on the street.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 PM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
I'm sure your friend Brian is a great guy, and his opinion may be perfect for him and his needs. But tire selection is highly subjective, depending on individual needs and preferences. I can offer only two things: First, the MPSC has been proven to be inadequate as a street rain tire. I think there is more than enough consensus on that feature to accept it as true. There are folks out there who enjoy sliding around in the wet, and if Brian is a member of that group, it's a good tire for him. Second, I hated the SC tire, even on track. I've found the Toyo R888 better on track, and I like the Yoko AD08 as a street tire. I bought my '05 GT3 last summer, and it had the original PS2 tires on it. I had good experience with that tire on a couple of cars, but for some reason, they were no good on this car. Of course, at almost five years old, they may have simply aged out, although it was a garaged car. Anyway, I can highly recommend the AD08.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 PM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sjgreco
I heard yesterday, but is not verified, that Porsche is replacing MPSC's with one of the new Bridgestone tires as a factory tire for GT cars. Recently read, I think in Excellence, that the Bridgestone is an excellent tire.
The Excellence article talked about the Bridgestone RE050A N2 and how it compared favorably to the MPSC but with superior wet performance. I understand it is now being supplied as an OEM tire on the Turbo, but haven't heard that about the GT3. I am curious about this because I have the RE050A N1's and I'm not sure how different the N2 version is from the N1.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 AM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
PS2's are fine in the summer rains storms here in Florida.
I love the PS2, have them on both cars, will replace both cars rears next week.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Sharky knows of what he speaks. Cups on a dry track are great, in the rain you might meet Mr. Guardrail.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 PM
TripleM is infamous around these parts
Corsa is your next best for similar performance category
Else the next next best is Potenza RE11, u wont be disappointed wif this one...Highly streetable and IMO, better than PS2 in terms of grips overall. One downside is, it's bout 2lbs heavier per corner.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !snowboarder54 Is a GOD !
I have used up 13 sets of MPSC's in a little over 37,000 miles. I just recently had the SW 3.9 conversion installed on my car and switched to the pirelli Corsa system with 325's on the rear and love them!! I am still waiting to see if I can get get more then 3000 miles out of the rears, but so far they look like they will out last the MPSC's. I don't have streets where I live, only roads and none of them are straight!! It rains here as well and we have lots of fog and damp roads, I love the Pirelli's!! I wish I had switched miles ago!!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I drive to and from the track and the Cups were horrid in the rain. The toyo R888s were almost equally bad and the road noise was louder than my exhaust.

I switched to the Bridgestone RE-11 and they are much better in the wet. They aren't at the level of a regular high perf summer tire, but certainly provide much more grip than the Cups or R888s and great performance on the track if you are looking for a non-slick tire.

Not to mention they are $700 cheaper per set.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
I have been saying this and debating this for a LONG time.
The Pirelli Corsa's are the greatest tire for our cars. My 07 GT3 came with MPSC and with So. Florida summer downpours they were like having bars of soap on my wheels. I ditched them and got PS2's.
Then I got my 07 GT3RS which came with Corsa's. Then I felt the difference. The Corsa's were superior on the street and track. The Corsa's come up to driving temps faster than the MPSC's.
Add to it all the Corsa's last very well on the street.
Also add to this the new Pirelli Trofeo tires (means trophy) which GMG has posted a thread about and have found them to be 2 sec. faster per lap.

I have not tried the Bridgestones but from past experience they have been very noisy.

Ranger

Old 12-31-2009, 01:08 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
PCNA didn't put Mich cup tires on just for the hell of it. The GT3/RS is a serious car for serious driving I think you're better off going with two sets of tires and wheels. (Pick up some stock 18" wheel and tire take offs). Use these for the rainy season in Seattle (last time I was there it was 9 months out of a year) and the stock set for those 3 fantastic summer months. You can prolly buy the take offs wheels and tires for not much more than just a set of new all season tires.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
The cups are so hard for me to get away from being so light.. The largest rotational mass on the car is the tire.. 4lbs per tire is huge and some are more than 4lbs.. Ill try out the Re11's next and see how they work..

Mike

Old 12-31-2009, 06:56 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Advise so far has been solid. Cups are great and grippy in the dry, but get pretty sketchy (to say the least) in the rain. They are NOT good everyday tires in the NE. The Corsa system has a bit more rain traction, but not much. The PS2 is the overall best bet. Bridgestone RE-11 are available in stock sizing and will provide more traction than PS2 when warm, but are not N-rated in stock sizing.

Please give me a call if I can help.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Advise so far has been solid. Cups are great and grippy in the dry, but get pretty sketchy (to say the least) in the rain. They are NOT good everyday tires in the NE. The Corsa system has a bit more rain traction, but not much. The PS2 is the overall best bet. Bridgestone RE-11 are available in stock sizing and will provide more traction than PS2 when warm, but are not N-rated in stock sizing.

Please give me a call if I can help.
What is N rating?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
What kind of street mileage can one expect from the Corsas?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sloopy
What is N rating?
Porsche N-Spec

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Friend says it's a BIG mistake to consider changing the Pilot Cups on my new GT3?!