Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Friend says it's a BIG mistake to consider changing the Pilot Cups on my new GT3?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Rams86 is infamous around these parts
Friend says it's a BIG mistake to consider changing the Pilot Cups on my new GT3?!

After two years with my 2008 997 Turbo, I took delivery yesterday of a brand new Carrara White GT3. (Pics to follow). I live in Seattle and have been concerned about driving around in the rain on the factory supplied Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. The car is not a daily driver but I will put on 8k miles per year using it.

I told my friend Brian that I was thinking of changing the SC’s to a better everyday tire and he sent me the e-mail pasted below that I found kind of amusing and informative, so I thought I would share it on 6Speed.

Would anyone here change out the Michelin SC’s living in a place like Seattle? Are they really as dangerous as I’ve heard when it comes to standing water and hydroplaning?

I was really leaning towards another Turbo but decided to see what the GT3 experience is all about. Many friends lobbied me against getting another Turbo and Brian was also especially vocal against the Turbo. Also attached is a second message he sent me about his feelings on the Turbo that I thought would be interesting to share here.

I will write a more detailed GT3 review later as I’ve only put 20 miles on the car coming home from the dealer. My initial comments are that the Sports Exhaust sounds flat out amazing. The rear wing will also take some getting used to. The angle of the blade blocks out the headlamps of any car behind you so when you go over a bump or up and down and down a slope at night, you see a “flicker” of the headlamps and its kind of distracting.

Not being used to the wing, it initially makes me feel I have a bigger blind spot when I turn right and look back through the rear window. I can also feel the impact of having 118 ft. lbs. less torque on tap going up hills, but again I’m making this comparison while keeping the GT3 below the recommended 4,250 rpm’s for break in.

I am hoping I won’t miss the Turbo’s power too much. Initially, I felt I wanted to experience all of the new advances on the 997.2 Turbo (PDK, DFI, Torque Vectoring, etc) but was I swayed to the GT3! Time will tell! Thanks – Brad

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-28-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: public posting of emails is not a good idea
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey brad take it from me you really don't want to be driving the Pilot Sport Cups in the rain and that's what you have a lot of up there. Those tires really don't do well in the rain and with the suspension/physics of the GT3/RS it's not a great combo. I'd say at least the P Zero Corsa System tend to work somewhat better in the rain. But a lot of folks have used PS2s etc... So you'll be fine with better rain tires if you are intending to drive it in those conditions.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Sharky knows of what he speaks. Cups on a dry track are great, in the rain you might meet Mr. Guardrail.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks Alex, I'm leaning towards trading them out for something with a little better wet performance. I've also been reading your 3.9 threads....very tempting! Your work and reputation is amazing. Thanks - Brad

Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Larry, Mr Guardrail is the last person I want to meet up with in the new year! I think I'll be ordering a new set of rubber very quickly.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM
jimxyz is infamous around these parts
Two things:
1. throw on some PS2s (they are a great all around DD tire)
2. tell Brian to put a sock in it

Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'll see the sock and raise you the other half-pair. The raving from this guy is not completely wrong, but it's missing the point. His point is that the Cup tires make it a great (or greater car). He doesn't comment on their inherent risk of those tires in the wet (bad) or the cold (badder) or the cold and wet (very very bad).
Yes, the Sport's will slightly lessen the experience in peak conditions. But in bad conditions, the Cups will put you and your car at risk. Too bad he left out that point.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
another seattle gt3 checking in (I did not read the emails as they have been deleted by mod)... ps2 for sure

mpsc are crap in the rain and picture yourself hitting just a bit of standing water on any of our "wonderful" local highways...

trust your instincts...

put the mpsc on some rims and drive that new gt3 to the track... you will not miss that turbo :-)

congratulations and I hope to meet you and check out the new ride!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
PJ has it down. I was going to say post this up on the local forum if you have not already. Plenty of local knowledge there about tires.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:53 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
hey brad take it from me you really don't want to be driving the Pilot Sport Cups in the rain and that's what you have a lot of up there. Those tires really don't do well in the rain and with the suspension/physics of the GT3/RS it's not a great combo. I'd say at least the P Zero Corsa System tend to work somewhat better in the rain. But a lot of folks have used PS2s etc... So you'll be fine with better rain tires if you are intending to drive it in those conditions.
oh yeah, was it 2002 when you decided to drive in OPPOSITE direction than the rest of us?yeah, that was you.....

in seattle, i wouldn't run cups. run PS2.
PS 2 is faster on street anyways. mpsc will never warm up at street speed.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
btw, cup tires sucks on track as well.
hoosiers is the way to go.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
The Corsa systems are the best street tires for the 997GT3 IMO. They are quieter, stickier and better wear than the PS2. Yet warm up faster and is better in the wet than the Cups on the track. I agree with Mooty, Cups sucks big time on the track as well.
That said, you are crazy to drive around here with the cups.

Last edited by vincentdds; 12-29-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PJS
another seattle gt3 checking in (I did not read the emails as they have been deleted by mod)... ps2 for sure

mpsc are crap in the rain and picture yourself hitting just a bit of standing water on any of our "wonderful" local highways...

trust your instincts...

put the mpsc on some rims and drive that new gt3 to the track... you will not miss that turbo :-)

congratulations and I hope to meet you and check out the new ride!
+1, the MPSC's are scarry in the wet, I have a set that will only see the car in the warm dry weather. This wet cold winter weather is only going to be a recipe for disaster.

Enjoy the new car.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 AM
sjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to all
I heard yesterday, but is not verified, that Porsche is replacing MPSC's with one of the new Bridgestone tires as a factory tire for GT cars. Recently read, I think in Excellence, that the Bridgestone is an excellent tire. Another option for you to consider, I have Corsa's, great tire so far.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
My 2010 just came in with Corsas. It is stored until spring, but I may swap to PS2s when it comes out from hibernation. I have heard good things about the Corsas but would not expect near the mileage of the PS2s.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Friend says it's a BIG mistake to consider changing the Pilot Cups on my new GT3?!