Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

need front rotor replacement. anyone tried girodisc?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speedoflight
got them from alex. the rotors look great. haven't weighed them yet. supposedly these are a tad lighter than oem so we'll see.

sharky threw in a set of caliper bolts

and a thomas train on the other box which my kid was quick to grab. j/k

there's a sticker that says right or left front. so i can't possibly install them on wrong side.

will put them on next weekend as my shoulders are killing me from snowboarding exercise yesterday.
Are you replacing the rears too?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
got them from alex. the rotors look great. haven't weighed them yet. supposedly these are a tad lighter than oem so we'll see.

sharky threw in a set of caliper bolts

and a thomas train on the other box which my kid was quick to grab. j/k

there's a sticker that says right or left front. so i can't possibly install them on wrong side.

I think you will love the GiroDisc setup on your GT3 SpeedofFlight...

In regards to weight, the OE Factory fronts are around 25.6 lbs., the GiroDisc Slotted fronts will weigh in around 22.4 lbs.

The OE Factory rears should weigh in around 22.1 lbs., the GiroDisc Slotted Rears will weigh in around 18.2 lbs.

Enjoy...

Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
thanks for the replies fellas.

sasportas, kind of a silly question but are you running girodisc for front and rear? my oem rear rotors are still ok @ 27.7mm and no cracks so want to use it up some more.

raiyu, i'll pm you on your used brembos. was not really considering new brembo rotors due to price point.

mike, yes planning on slotted only.

I am trying to understand more about the wear limits of the rotors... is there a guide somewhere? Mine have no cracks just a less than 1mm lip

Old 01-11-2010, 05:03 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by marcw
I am trying to understand more about the wear limits of the rotors... is there a guide somewhere? Mine have no cracks just a less than 1mm lip
You need to measure the thickness of the rotor with a caliper as shown below. Some rotor may indicate minimum thickness on the rotor itself

Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by mikymu
You need to measure the thickness of the rotor with a caliper as shown below. Some rotor may indicate minimum thickness on the rotor itself

Its more the lip around the outer edge i have questions about... if the rotor thickness is fine do we care about any lip?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Its more the lip around the outer edge i have questions about... if the rotor thickness is fine do we care about any lip?
No worry - the lip on the outer edge does not affect brake performance as long as you have enough thickness on the rotor.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by mikymu
No worry - the lip on the outer edge does not affect brake performance as long as you have enough thickness on the rotor.
Thanks!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Are you replacing the rears too?
just the fronts. rears will remain oem for awhile unless something's really screwy with this mix.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RSSbryan
I think you will love the GiroDisc setup on your GT3 SpeedofFlight...

In regards to weight, the OE Factory fronts are around 25.6 lbs., the GiroDisc Slotted fronts will weigh in around 22.4 lbs.

The OE Factory rears should weigh in around 22.1 lbs., the GiroDisc Slotted Rears will weigh in around 18.2 lbs.

Enjoy...

that's a nice saving. thanks for the info!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 PM
that's a nice saving. thanks for the info!
How much does the rear set cost any way? Same as front?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
put them on already

Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Banned
BRracing is infamous around these parts
All rotors should have a min thickness stamped on the outer edge of the rotor....that is the key, and since the surface of the face of the rotor once used is never completely flat, you need to find the low spot, then subtract at least an additional .1mm if you were to have them "turned".
If you are anywhere close, don't play w them anymore, instead replace. As Mike stated, the lip doesn't matter. All manufacturers need to state what the min thickness is if you can't find it on the outer rotor edge.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:56 AM
took a couple more pics of the oem iron rotors this time on the inside rotor. they are also cracked but not as bad as the outer ones. anyways porsche, how are we suppose to keep an eye on the cracks of the inside rotor. lol.

anyways, the girodiscs are on. the fit and finish is great. i especially like the hat as they are reusable. so when comes time to change rotors again, should be cheaper since i'll only need the rotor w/o the hat.

no trimming of pads or any improvs whatsoever. the RS29 pads fit just fine with them.

then the final bleeding to prep for the start of the track season. i switch from RBF600 to SRF this time. i like that there is a noticeable difference in shades between these two fluids. RBF600 (left), SRF (right). the colors kinda reminds me of a beer tasting event whilst in germany. hefeweizen or dunkelweizen anyone?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Glad you got the Girodisc on. Looks great. What was the weight difference if any. Oh, I notice a small dirt spec on the caliper Man! Do you wax your brake caliper? I think you wash your car too often that is why there are more crack on the outside of the rotor lol

Those RS29 pads sit pretty close to the hat but you have enough space. It was a PITA having to modify the brake pads to fit Cup rotors.

The difference in beer color makes it easy to bleed your brakes ... no difference in alcohol content right?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
sasportas has a spectacular aura aboutsasportas has a spectacular aura about
Giro Disc

Let me know what you think of the Giro Discs once you run them.

I ran an entire season - 25+ days without any issues or significant cracks. I only removed because I had reached the minimum thickness of the rotor.

Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need front rotor replacement. anyone tried girodisc?