Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

need front rotor replacement. anyone tried girodisc?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
need front rotor replacement. anyone tried girodisc?

i'm pretty much done with oem steel rotors. i'd prefer something that doesn't change the stock brake bias and something that makes good combo with pagid rs29 pads. has anyone tried girodisc?

here's my oem steel rotors. the cracks are just not confidence inspiring.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
My dad put them on his CaymanS and they work great on the track, running Pagid yellows. The rotors look great in person, 2pc design, look very sturdy. We never ran his car on stock OEM rotors, went straight to the GiroDisc so I dont have a comparison, but I drove his car on track and they worked great.

I'm going to be putting my Brembo 2pc rotors up for sale as I'm going to be running the Lotus on the track next year. They should still have good usable life and I have two sets of pagid yellows that still have some life in them that I'll sell together since they are bedded.

They are coming off the car today so PM me if you are interested, if not they'll end up in the FS section once I stop being lazy along with a bunch of other track mods I removed (GMG roll-bar, Cobra SuzukaS seats, GT3 replica seats, etc.)

I think you wont be disappointed with the GiroDisc though, havent seen anyone on track who ran them say a bad thing about them yet.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
sasportas has a spectacular aura aboutsasportas has a spectacular aura about
Giro Disc

I ran the Giro Disc for the entire track season this year without any problems. They wore very well. I got 27+ days on them. I ended up using either RS29 or RS14 pads through out the season.

I now prefer the pagid blacks but that's a personal preference. The additional benefit of the GIRO disc 2-piece rotors are that they are very quiet compared to other manufacturers. The replacement rotors are also very economical.

The year before I ran AP Racing Rotors which are also very good. A bit noisy but otherwise they perform well also. I have a set of extra aluminum hats for the AP Racing rotors for sale on the for sale forum on this website if you're interested.

As you know, the stock rotors do not last very long on the track. They get some very nasty "cracks" after just a few days.

Last edited by sasportas; 12-30-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2009, 08:39 PM
TripleM is infamous around these parts
Hv a friend who has done some trackdays on his 7GT3 and it has worked fine so far

Another option is the PFC rotors which I will be trying soon. It's about the same price as the Giro disc and looks wicked too

Chase This Motorsport in Chicago carries them

Gd luck

Old 12-30-2009, 09:45 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Pagid blacks bit a little harder but they gave me a lot worse rotor wear than the yellows. Seemed like an overall more economical choice to run the yellows.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 PM
+1, it squeals a lot louder than the yellows so I can imagine how harsh it is

Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 PM
wapita is a jewel in the roughwapita is a jewel in the roughwapita is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TripleM
Another option is the PFC rotors which I will be trying soon. It's about the same price as the Giro disc and looks wicked too
PFC rotors require you to run PFC pads I believe, which means less/no options.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by wapita
PFC rotors require you to run PFC pads I believe, which means less/no options.
i hv already checked, no issue wif after mkt pads like Pagid
Having said that, I hv been on PFC pads all these while

Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
They look pretty well made and you should be fine from all the positive feedback ... slot and no cross drill to prevent cracks

Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
thanks for the replies fellas.

sasportas, kind of a silly question but are you running girodisc for front and rear? my oem rear rotors are still ok @ 27.7mm and no cracks so want to use it up some more.

raiyu, i'll pm you on your used brembos. was not really considering new brembo rotors due to price point.

mike, yes planning on slotted only.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedoflight
Good, I am tired of seeing all that crack on your plate ... not the powder

Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by mikymu
Good, I am tired of seeing all that crack on your plate ... not the powder
how are you cup rotors holding up? any cracks?

Old 12-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
sasportas has a spectacular aura aboutsasportas has a spectacular aura about
Giro Disc

I run the 2-piece rotor only on the front. The stock rears last an entire season. Additionally, I added the rear brake ducts which has reduced rotor temps approximately 150 degrees F. With the addition of the rear brake ducts, my front and rear pads wear out in a 1 to 1 ratio.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:02 PM
how are you cup rotors holding up? any cracks?
None what so ever and that is after two track events and more than 10X bedding

Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
thanks for the replies fellas.

sasportas, kind of a silly question but are you running girodisc for front and rear? my oem rear rotors are still ok @ 27.7mm and no cracks so want to use it up some more.

raiyu, i'll pm you on your used brembos. was not really considering new brembo rotors due to price point.

I am planning on the same upgrade and was trying to decided on just slotted or cross drilled too... Seems slotted looks like the right option. Mr Sharkwerks carries these rotors have you talked to him?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need front rotor replacement. anyone tried girodisc?