Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Cup wing conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
Page not found

Name:  baef02b9.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  06c42a64.jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  136.8 KB

Name:  8cc886a8.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  120.0 KB

Name:  78d5efe3.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  125.0 KB

Name:  fe7341db.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  8b6d0a8c.jpg
Views: 3551
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  33724e17.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  68d938d7.jpg
Views: 1909
Size:  106.0 KB

Name:  9bfeabe2.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  62.7 KB

Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
yep that's the one

Old 01-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
BRracing is infamous around these parts
Just want to pitch in here a bit, happy to answer any questions that anyone has relative to our decklid and how it was constructed. Since the first showing of it we have sold more and did not necessarily expect for the demand to be there but apparently it is.
Our decklid was constructed using all OEM products and the fit and finish is amazing. If anyone is in the bay area and would like to see it in person feel free to stop by. The price for this solution is very reasonable and we would be happy to answer any questions that anyone might have.
We will post more detailed photos of the decklid if you would like.
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Robb

Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Hey Robb

Glad to hear you guys have success with the Cup wing conversion

Now this gray GT3 has one wide behind ... I wonder if he had to remap the DME for the Cup intake system - more air many cause the car to run lean? No cooling fan either for a street GT3 may not be a good idea

Name:  8b6d0a8c.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  68d938d7.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  106.0 KB

Last edited by mikymu; 01-09-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:19 AM
HRTC is infamous around these parts
That car is sexy. Love the hood. Anyone know where I can pick one up?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu
Hey Robb

Glad to hear you guys have success with the Cup wing conversion

Now this gray GT3 has one wide behind ... I wonder if he had to remap the DME for the Cup intake system - more air many cause the car to run lean? No cooling fan either for a street GT3 may not be a good idea

Okay.....I'm busted. That's my GT3 with the 'wide behind' that is pictured above. (It must have been all the delicious holiday food...)

The cup wing/carbon fiber decklid with Cup intake is one of my favorite mods on this car. It does involve installing the vertical 'hood pin posts' to the engine compartment first. Also, a Cup intake is required and the MAF sensor needed to be relocated. Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte obtained and installed the Cup wing/decklid and Synergy Racing in VA did the intake conversions.

If you were to drive it hard, in very hot weather, in stop and go traffic, you may indeed run into a problem with cooling as the stock fan is removed. During regular street driving or on the track, cooling is never a problem. On rare occassion on hot summer days , when stopped at a stoplight, I will see a an error message that basically says that the car has a decklid fan failure. (It's trying to turn on the fan but can't "find" it). Once you resume driving and air flows into the decklid/ram air effect, and the error message turns itself off within minutes. This has happened to me less han a dozen times in the 1.5 years I've owned this car.

I have not had the DME reprogrammed yet. However, It has been suggested to me by a race shop that my car would benefit from being put on a dyno and "custom tune" the DME to take advantage of the intake and free'r flowing exhaust via the bypass pipes.

HRTC: Thanks for the compliment. The hood is carbon fiber and made by Gemballa.

Dan

Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by docdan
Okay.....I'm busted. That's my GT3 with the 'wide behind' that is pictured above. (It must have been all the delicious holiday food...)

The cup wing/carbon fiber decklid with Cup intake is one of my favorite mods on this car. It does involve installing the vertical 'hood pin posts' to the engine compartment first. Also, a Cup intake is required and the MAF sensor needed to be relocated. Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte obtained and installed the Cup wing/decklid and Synergy Racing in VA did the intake conversions.

If you were to drive it hard, in very hot weather, in stop and go traffic, you may indeed run into a problem with cooling as the stock fan is removed. During regular street driving or on the track, cooling is never a problem. On rare occassion on hot summer days , when stopped at a stoplight, I will see a an error message that basically says that the car has a decklid fan failure. (It's trying to turn on the fan but can't "find" it). Once you resume driving and air flows into the decklid/ram air effect, and the error message turns itself off within minutes. This has happened to me less han a dozen times in the 1.5 years I've owned this car.

I have not had the DME reprogrammed yet. However, It has been suggested to me by a race shop that my car would benefit from being put on a dyno and "custom tune" the DME to take advantage of the intake and free'r flowing exhaust via the bypass pipes.

HRTC: Thanks for the compliment. The hood is carbon fiber and made by Gemballa.

Dan
LOL

Did not mean your back end is wide as in obese That is one mean looking GT3

Thanks for the detail feedback on your Cup wing conversion. I think a custom dyno is in order especially when you have different intake and exhaust. Have you notice any additional drag with the Cup wing? More stable on the track?

When I tilt my RS wing up at full attack, there is more drag which translate to 3-4 mpg average loss when I cruise at 80 mph but it provide more down force and the rear is much more stable on the track

Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned
Just as a note I would highly recommend for that car to get a tune done via dyno. You are pushing so much air in that motor now with that intake that my guess is that you are running more lean than you desire.

Mike,
With our wing decklid combo I can tell you that we noticed a huge amount of increase in downforce with the added wing blade. We had a test done on the car with just the wingblade and then when we added the wicker lip it made a huge difference through high speed corners.
Additionally as a note with the new decklid and air collector we improved overall airflow to the motor significantly. So not only did we get a improved amount of downforce on the car but we also provided added performance with the higher amount of air through the intake. Yes we did remap and retune the car according to the new intake.

Happy to field any questions.
Thanks

Old 01-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned
Name:  BRR GT3 intake w scoops rear sm.jpg
Views: 2099
Size:  140.9 KB

Here are some more pics of the way we did the the Cup Car wing.

We have also done one for another 997.1 RS customer, as they wanted to ensure that the inside portion absolutely mated to the existing intake elements, and included the full fan attachment. So we used the top portion of the Cup Car, and the bottom portion from an RS. The wing is the PMNA Cup Car wing. We use the GMG CF air inlet scoops, and then fully mold them into the top decklid piece rather than just attaching them (see the pic from above on the integration of the elements). We can paint the combination however you want (but realize the PMNA wing comes in white already, not unpainted CF). End plates can also be painted what ever you need. We installed the PMNA CF wicker to our wing, and the RS customers wing as well. All parts are existing Porsche OEM parts.

Name:  BRR GT3 wing decklid w scoops sm.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  161.8 KB
Name:  BRR GT3 rear deck fan.jpg
Views: 2116
Size:  215.7 KB
Name:  BRR GT3 inside rear decklid.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  235.2 KB
Name:  BRR GT3 rear deck intake.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  236.4 KB

BRracing....plus our prices are pretty darn good too.....well under $10k for everything....even under $7.5k for everything, including the molding and painting to match your car.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned
One more view of the completed project...and we can also respond that it works GREAT on the track. The car was amazing when tested last month at speed and in anger at Laguna....but the downforce from the wing was amazing.
Name:  BRR GT3 wing rear vw sm.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  226.8 KB

Old 01-10-2010, 04:46 PM
GTS-R is infamous around these parts
I think Bruce is referring to the wing he is building for me. Bruce and his son have been great to deal with and although I haven't received my wing yet, my experience with their race shop has been more than positive.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu
LOL

Did not mean your back end is wide as in obese That is one mean looking GT3

Thanks for the detail feedback on your Cup wing conversion. I think a custom dyno is in order especially when you have different intake and exhaust. Have you notice any additional drag with the Cup wing? More stable on the track?

When I tilt my RS wing up at full attack, there is more drag which translate to 3-4 mpg average loss when I cruise at 80 mph but it provide more down force and the rear is much more stable on the track
Thanks for the props, mikymu. Indeed the Cup wing does make a difference. How much so is hard to quantitate. I'm also running 335's on the rears, so I have a few things going for me as far as traction in the corners go. On a long straight such as VIR's backstretch, I'm sure the additional downforce is a drag, but I think its more than made up for with the added exit speeds you will get.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Hey Bruce and Robb, thanks for jumping in to answer some questions regarding Cup wing conversion. Did you really drive your GT3 in anger at Laguna? lol I am sure it performed very well with the whole suspension, wing and brake package. What was your best time with the 3 at Laguna?

OK, back to your Cup wing design. Couple questions:

-- The wicker is just the extra lip at the end of the wing right? It made that much difference with just a small piece of additional lip?
-- What was your mpg drop with the Cup wing let's say around 80 mph cruise? I am trying to guesstimate the drag of the Cup wing to compare with my RS wing at full tilt which reduce mpg by about 3-4 around 80 mph
-- How did you mate the CF underside with the OEM deck lid - glue and screws?
-- Did you dyno tune yourself? What was your power gain if any with the larger air scoop?
-- <$7.5K for the whole thing including all OEM parts, labor, paint etc is a screaming deal. I price the OEM parts alone though motorsport and it's about $7K not including design/paint etc. One cheaper alternative for me will be using OEM Cup wing and upright with Getty design Cup deck lid which has the proper inner to mate to the OEM airbox. I don't know about the fit and finish though.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by docdan
Thanks for the props, mikymu. Indeed the Cup wing does make a difference. How much so is hard to quantitate. I'm also running 335's on the rears, so I have a few things going for me as far as traction in the corners go. On a long straight such as VIR's backstretch, I'm sure the additional downforce is a drag, but I think its more than made up for with the added exit speeds you will get.

Thanks Dan for the feedback. Cup or RSR wings are made for much lighter cars compare with street GT3 and RS. This was a very interesting thought exercise for me to contemplate the benefit and disadvantage of a racing wing on street 3/RS. More down force is a given but I wonder at what cost - more rear tire wear, significant drop in straight speed etc? Cup and RSR can off set some of these concerns with 500 to 600 lbs lighter cars. I would love to be able to turn in as quick as a Lotus on the track but we are talking about more than 1000 lbs of weight difference. Better suspension and tire also helps. Now the RSR wing design is interesting. It has a "flat" central portion compare with the Cup straight blade but the whole assembly bolt right on the chassis instead of the rear deck lid. The new RS also feature this flat central portion design on the wing. I wonder if it offer less drag compare with Cup wing?

The RSR wing uprights are bolted on the chassis on each edge of the engine bay. The whole rear deck lid comes out if you need to access the engine

Unique profile of the RSR wing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Cup wing conversion?