Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Cup wing conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Mik,

PM me

I can help you out with a GT3 Cup Wing with a base that will fir your GT3 without mods

Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mobonic
Mik,

PM me

I can help you out with a GT3 Cup Wing with a base that will fir your GT3 without mods
you got it

Old 01-11-2010, 02:26 PM
jamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to behold
yes rsr wing is flat in area that trails the roof line because it isn't really creating downforce there but creates drag, hence they flatten it vs the areas behind the fenders. from what i understand the side regions are the only areas that create the real downforce, and the spill plates on the side ensure the air flows don't "slide" to the side and maximizes the region. doesn't look like the cup has this, might be why they increased the height so dramatically for the 2010 cup (bigger tires need more downforce??).

love the flared fenders on that grey gt3 on page 2. anyone know if this has been done to a tt? any pics??

Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jamuz
yes rsr wing is flat in area that trails the roof line because it isn't really creating downforce there but creates drag, hence they flatten it vs the areas behind the fenders. from what i understand the side regions are the only areas that create the real downforce, and the spill plates on the side ensure the air flows don't "slide" to the side and maximizes the region. doesn't look like the cup has this, might be why they increased the height so dramatically for the 2010 cup (bigger tires need more downforce??).

love the flared fenders on that grey gt3 on page 2. anyone know if this has been done to a tt? any pics??
The RSR wing design makes sense and looks great too. Love to go the RSR wing route if possible. I am sure there are some TT out there with fender flare like Dan's GT3

Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Banned
BRracing is infamous around these parts
Mike, will try to answer the questions you posted -
-- The wicker is just the extra lip at the end of the wing right? It made that much difference with just a small piece of additional lip?
BRR - the Porsche piece is a fixed wicker addition...you can go without it, but the wickers are an amazing addition, will not go into the full detail here on the aero benefits relative to drag, vortices, downforce, etc....and many full race wings allow you to insert/remove the wicker to change the height, but they do indeed make a difference
-- What was your mpg drop with the Cup wing let's say around 80 mph cruise? I am trying to guesstimate the drag of the Cup wing to compare with my RS wing at full tilt which reduce mpg by about 3-4 around 80 mph
BRR - did not do a back to back comparison...this is a full race wing, designed by Porsche, for the GT3, and driven by us both on the street and the track...but all we wanted was the best performing wing. You can adjust the angle on the wing to change the amount of downforce generated, and hence the drag.
-- How did you mate the CF underside with the OEM deck lid - glue and screws?
BRR - no glue, and HEAVENS, no screws. Well...sort of glue, they are bonded together, sealed completely around the full edge so that they look like they are one piece together...the same process used when they are made by Porsche directly. As the inner piece is the mate to your car (either 997.1 or 997.2 GTS or RS versions), so that they exactly mate to the air intake and fan mountings, these are the inners from the street car versions, not the race version
-- Did you dyno tune yourself? What was your power gain if any with the larger air scoop?
BRR - we have a couple of tunes going on right now...so, in a continuous state of change, and we were running OEM exhausts that day at Laguna due to the sound limit, so the car was definitely not at full power (you can really feel the difference the GMG exhaust does)
Did you really drive your GT3 in anger at Laguna? lol I am sure it performed very well with the whole suspension, wing and brake package. What was your best time with the 3 at Laguna?
BRR - car was definitely driven hard...not at the full limit yet, as it was our first full day w the car, and the track was cold (December at Laguna). But, check the first video clip we're including, and you can see at the end of the video clip that we had the brake hot (smokin....... yeah), and that Robb (who is driving in these clips, but both of us drove that day) even got the tail loose once coming out of Turn 4 on the rumble strip you'll see. We had lots of other Porsche's, including GT2s and GT3, but no one was running times like we were. That day we were not running at the limit, and we're only seeing about 1:36s right now, but expect to get to 1:32s w this car and no sound limits.

LINK to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../0/J3a26JRUtFM

Direct video

Last edited by BRracing; 01-11-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Holy batman! 1:36 at Laguna on a cold day!! That is super fast - with two people in the car passing GTR and TT. Wow, Robb really cook the brakes. My best time last month at Laguna on a sort of cold day with worn out rear tires was 1:50. I had to slow down a bit since wife was with me ... my goal will be 1:40 with new Toyo RA1 and better familiarity of the track.

I am speechless watching your video. The sound limit really damper the fun Thanks for all the detail info on the Cup wing. Who dyno your GT3?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM
GTS-R is infamous around these parts
Anyone know the width difference between an RSR wing and cup wing?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by GTS-R
Anyone know the width difference between an RSR wing and cup wing?
I can get the formal widths for you tomorrow but I recall correctly it is around 6-8 inches in difference.
We will be happy to provide the full widths if needed.
Thanks for all the positive comments.

Robb

Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BRracing
-- The wicker is just the extra lip at the end of the wing right? It made that much difference with just a small piece of additional lip?
BRR - the Porsche piece is a fixed wicker addition...you can go without it, but the wickers are an amazing addition, will not go into the full detail here on the aero benefits relative to drag, vortices, downforce, etc....and many full race wings allow you to insert/remove the wicker to change the height, but they do indeed make a difference
-- What was your mpg drop with the Cup wing let's say around 80 mph cruise? I am trying to guesstimate the drag of the Cup wing to compare with my RS wing at full tilt which reduce mpg by about 3-4 around 80 mph
BRR - did not do a back to back comparison...this is a full race wing, designed by Porsche, for the GT3, and driven by us both on the street and the track...but all we wanted was the best performing wing. You can adjust the angle on the wing to change the amount of downforce generated, and hence the drag.
BRR - no glue, and HEAVENS, no screws. Well...sort of glue, they are bonded together, sealed completely around the full edge so that they look like they are one piece together...the same process used when they are made by Porsche directly. As the inner piece is the mate to your car (either 997.1 or 997.2 GTS or RS versions), so that they exactly mate to the air intake and fan mountings, these are the inners from the street car versions, not the race version
-- Did you dyno tune yourself? What was your power gain if any with the larger air scoop?
BRR - we have a couple of tunes going on right now...so, in a continuous state of change, and we were running OEM exhausts that day at Laguna due to the sound limit, so the car was definitely not at full power (you can really feel the difference the GMG exhaust does)
Did you really drive your GT3 in anger at Laguna? lol I am sure it performed very well with the whole suspension, wing and brake package. What was your best time with the 3 at Laguna?
BRR - car was definitely driven hard...not at the full limit yet, as it was our first full day w the car, and the track was cold (December at Laguna). But, check the first video clip we're including, and you can see at the end of the video clip that we had the brake hot (smokin....... yeah), and that Robb (who is driving in these clips, but both of us drove that day) even got the tail loose once coming out of Turn 4 on the rumble strip you'll see. We had lots of other Porsche's, including GT2s and GT3, but no one was running times like we were. That day we were not running at the limit, and we're only seeing about 1:36s right now, but expect to get to 1:32s w this car and no sound limits.

LINK to YouTube

Direct video
nice run. looks like you were having a bbq there at the pits.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by speedoflight
nice run. looks like you were having a bbq there at the pits.
Now those are happy brakes. 1:36 is fast for a street GT3 ... I need alot of practice to even get close to 1:40 at Laguna

Another interesting comparison between RSR and Cup wing is the location of the wing upright support. The RSR uprights are bolted to the body of the engine bay and sits further up compare with Cup car but both final wing height and location are very similar despite of the upright difference ...

RSR vs Cup wing

Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Banned
So, just some more comments on the wing addition to our GT3.
We want to make sure we have balance in the whole approach. While the new 2010 GT3 that we have also has a much different and deeper front chin spoiler, we don't want to go hog wild on the rear wing. Even the one day of testing that we did we can feel that we have turns where we are not getting the level of grip that we need on the front, while the rear felt well planted. If we add more wing (either in the width or chord of the wing), we will definitely get more downforce...but, we don't need any more stinking downforce...if anything, we would add an additional flat splitter plate to the front to help grip there.
Remember, we need balance, and bigger is not always better

Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !

LINK to YouTube

Direct video
when you ran 1:36, what tires were on the car and what mod? impressive.

with 996gt3 stock and R888 i ran 1:41
with 997.1RS stock and R888 i ran 1:39
wish i can get to your lap time.
in 996 cup, i did only 1:33 which isn't that much better than your 136 in a street car!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned
BRracing 2010 GT3
So, just to add some support to the times and effort at Laguna...we ran 10 sessions that day, every single one had a different rider, as we had a waiting list of people at the track event that wanted to see what she could do.....and she didn't disappoint. Robb drove 7 of the sessions, and Bruce drove 3 of the sessions. We had both customers, instructors, and a Pro driver participate as passengers...so, have lots of YE HA's as well.
We kept a couple of customers out of the car on purpose...otherwise we know what would have happened to their pocket book and marriage situation
We ran w Hoosiers as the tires for the day....new set.

See our build post as to all the work that had been done. We have just two other mods to implement, and waiting for the right parts. (new shocks, springs, and upgraded differential). If you listen closely to the video, you will hear that we were bottoming out the front splitter on the track at a couple points, so we have some work to do on the right spring set up. We know we have the right ride height and rake settings from the other race setups that we have worked on for GT3s and Cup Cars.

We will also have (and can now sell) the new one piece GMG center lock wheel (see other thread on the introduction of that wheel....we will have the first set produced in a couple of weeks...and they will become our sets of spare track wheels). Happy to provide pricing on those great new wheels, and they are also available as traditional 5 lug wheels.

Last edited by BRracing; 01-13-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM
BRracing 2010 GT3
So, just to add some support to the times and effort at Laguna...we ran 10 sessions that day, every single one had a different rider, as we had a waiting list of people at the track event that wanted to see what she could do.....and she didn't disappoint. Robb drove 7 of the sessions, and Bruce drove 3 of the sessions. We had both customers, instructors, and a Pro driver participate as passengers...so, have lots of YE HA's as well.
We kept a couple of customers out of the car on purpose...otherwise we know what would have happened to their pocket book and marriage situation
We ran w Hoosiers as the tires for the day....new set.

See our build post as to all the work that had been done. We have just two other mods to implement, and waiting for the right parts. (new shocks, springs, and upgraded differential). If you listen closely to the video, you will hear that we were bottoming out the front splitter on the track at a couple points, so we have some work to do on the right spring set up. We know we have the right ride height and rack settings from the other race setups that we have worked on for GT3s and Cup Cars.

We will also have (and can now sell) the new one piece GMG center lock wheel (see other thread on the introduction of that wheel....we will have the first set produced in a couple of weeks...and they will become our sets of spare track wheels). Happy to provide pricing on those great new wheels, and they are also available as traditional 5 lug wheels.
LOL on the customer's pocket book and marriage

OK, now that make sense as far as your track time of 1:36 on hooter. I will try them one of these days when I can be as fast as mooty ... or Joe No point for me to run hooter if I can't find a way to get them to the track

I scrap my Cup splitter at turn 6 when I went over the left hand turn depression. I did lower the front of the car by about 15mm to offset the lower profile rear Nitto NT01. Now I have proper size Toyo RA1 in 18" I should be able to lower the car about 5-8 mm front and rear to avoid bottom out

Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by mikymu
LOL on the customer's pocket book and marriage

OK, now that make sense as far as your track time of 1:36 on hooter. I will try them one of these days when I can be as fast as mooty ... or Joe No point for me to run hooter if I can't find a way to get them to the track

I scrap my Cup splitter at turn 6 when I went over the left hand turn depression. I did lower the front of the car by about 15mm to offset the lower profile rear Nitto NT01. Now I have proper size Toyo RA1 in 18" I should be able to lower the car about 5-8 mm front and rear to avoid bottom out
Mike,
Did I read this right, Hooter = Hoosier?
I mean if thats the case they are pure woman when it comes to tires.
Additionally just to add so others know, we were not running 18" wheels or tires, these are the 19" R6 compound.
Hope this helps and would welcome any questions anyone has.
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Robb

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Cup wing conversion?