Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Cup wing conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
GT3 Cup wing conversion?

Has anyone tried the GT3 Cup car rear wing conversion on their street GT3/RS? I can't help drooling over these airfoil when I saw a bunch of these Cup cars at Laguna for the recent ALMS race. I have the Cup front splitter and I think a rear Cup wing should help provide more down force. Is it well engineer to negate large amount of drag??

I foresee couple challenges as follow:

1. Need a new deck lid
2. The new deck lid has a central air collection duct vs right side air collection on the street GT3/RS
3. Retrofit the lid closing mechanism so it works with either the Cup car's two quick release or the central lock mechanism found on street GT3/RS
4. Color scheme for the rear wing and metal upright support

Here are some 997 GT3 Cup car Wings at Laguna's ALMS race

It's so large you can use it as a coat hanger lol

There was a 2010 GT3 Cup car at Laguna and it was just gorgeous!!! The rear wing is a piece of art and it has one large central air scoop vs the two smaller one found on the older sibling. I love the cut out on the metal support much better than the sold sheet. I think it will be a stretch to fit one of these airfoil on my RS ...

Here are couple more picture of the 2010 GT3 Cup car

Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 PM
996flyer has a spectacular aura about996flyer has a spectacular aura about996flyer has a spectacular aura about
I would contact BR racing I know they have a cup wing on their GT3

Old 01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
why not just put on the 997.2 RS decklid/tail when its available

Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996flyer
I would contact BR racing I know they have a cup wing on their GT3
That's right! I totally forgot about what Bruce did at BR racing. It was a great piece. They use the top side of a 997.1 Cup deck lid mated to the inside portion of the 997.2 GT3 deck lid and added the 997.1 Cup wing. Looks pretty amazing I must say!

Now, only if we can add some custom cut out on the metal upright support like the 997.2 Cup car ... how about the lettering of RS

Last edited by mikymu; 01-08-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
why not just put on the 997.2 RS decklid/tail when its available
I thought about that option but then the generation parts are all mix up. I will have the 997.1 GT3 Cup front splitter with a 997.2 GT3 RS rear wing on a .1 GT3 RS ..... I don't think it looks "cool" lol Plus the rear brake light is on the deck lid instead of the body and it has the two side air scoop opening instead of the one single air inlet on the right (on the inside of the deck lid). I am just trying to stick with the 997.1 Cup car route so it's more uniform.

It's a nice looking rear wing though.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
If it were me on my car, I would wait for the OEM 2010 RS parts to become avalible and just swap them over. I hate to guess the number on the changer over to RS spec. Big bucks I'm sure.

Last edited by Glock Guru; 11-15-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 AM
i hear ya. but this would not be the first time this had been done. perhaps you can change out your rear bumper, tail lights, quarter panels and bumpers too. this way it will all match your 997.2 RS tail

Originally Posted by mikymu
I thought about that option but then the generation parts are all mix up. I will have the 997.1 GT3 Cup front splitter with a 997.2 GT3 RS rear wing on a .1 GT3 RS ..... I don't think it looks "cool" lol Plus the rear brake light is on the deck lid instead of the body and it has the two side air scoop opening instead of the one single air inlet on the right (on the inside of the deck lid). I am just trying to stick with the 997.1 Cup car route so it's more uniform.

It's a nice looking rear wing though.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 AM
swbatte is infamous around these parts
I've been looking to do the same thing to my 996. I think OEM parts are definitely the way to go when they come out for yours.

BTW - I love the Porsche Design cup car. Fantastic pics!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
If you 'd want to switch to the 2010 GT3RS version it should require the wing w/ decklid and twin air boxes / intake system. Why would you need to change the bumper?
Anyway this I'm sure would major bucks $$$$$$. I would take a stab at approx. > 15K.

Ranger

Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 AM
mikymu, see BR put a 997.1 cup tail on a 997.2 so.. its okay to put a 997.2 RS wing on your 997.1RS.

ranger,
997.2 bumper is not required, but it would add a nice touch with matching 997.2 fenders and tail lights

Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM
mikymu, see BR put a 997.1 cup tail on a 997.2 so.. its okay to put a 997.2 RS wing on your 997.1RS.

ranger,
997.2 bumper is not required, but it would add a nice touch with matching 997.2 fenders and tail lights
BR's set up looks good but I want to keep the .1 RS blood line. It looks much better not to mix match body parts from one generation to the next IMHO ... plus I am not a big fan of the .2 GT3/RS front or rear bumpers

I am sure the .2 RS rear deck and wing will cost something like $40K lol. I am a big believer of form follow function. I want to know if the Cup wing is worth the price for added down force and not cause excessive drag compare with OEM wing. I can just stick out my hand while driving if I want more drag

Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by mikymu
I am sure the .2 RS rear deck and wing will cost something like $40K lol. I am a big believer of form follow function. I want to know if the Cup wing is worth the price for added down force and not cause excessive drag compare with OEM wing. I can just stick out my hand while driving if I want more drag
well if the 997.1 RS decklid/blade are $12k, im guessing the 997.2RS desklid/balde will be a bit more

how much is 997.1 cup decklid/tail anyways?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
well if the 997.1 RS decklid/blade are $12k, im guessing the 997.2RS desklid/balde will be a bit more

how much is 997.1 cup decklid/tail anyways?
I don't even want to guess how much these .2 RS wing and deck lid cost ... probably more than my son's future college tuition lol

Mashaw has an after market Cup wing and deck lid for $2500 as shown below. I don't know the fit quality. OEM Cup deck lid and wing with all hardware is about $7K ... still much less than OEM .1 RS wing/deck lid

Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM
RSR wing ... anyone?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
iirc, there's one .1 gt3 that did it. it's on this board.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Cup wing conversion?