Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What exactly is the GT2 built for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:29 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Crea
I believe the 997 GT2 is a lot easier to drive daily then the 996 GT2?
In a big way.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 AM
SigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to behold
The GT2 is if you want to invest a lot in new underwear. way to make money step one buy stock in your preferred underwear maker sterp two buy GT2 step three take friends in GT2 and then sell them underwear for a premium when they get out. lol

Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by johns930
im sure 7 is much better than the 6, but my main issue is i love the GT3 and RS, but i just cant get it because i have a 996GT2 already. I cant get over the fact im downgrading, and with a 7GT2, i dont see the point, because i think its basically the same as my 6.
Its not like what a F360 to F430 or a dramatic difference between F430 to a F458. Porsche lost me as a loyal customer when i venture into F430s and if they keep making not as exciting rides i just have to get the CGT i always wanted.
Main difference is the driver aides in the 997's. Saves the driver and car from damage.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 AM
jamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to behold
porsche is most famous for turbo racing cars. can-am, 962, 935's, gt-1. you NA guys are kidding yourselves when u think the gt3 is the link to racing and track lineage, imo.

btw, 997 gt2 is great on the track, can carry a LOT of speed at the apex and u just gotta be smooth on the way out and then blast down the straights. will dust any gt3, rs, or tt easily in the right hands.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 AM
hmmmmmmmmmm............. thats nice.
I take it you didn't know that. Car has PSM. There is no rear end issues unless you are beyond the means of the car. With the 996GT2, just a slight punch of the gas could cause a spin. Not with a 997.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 AM
my 2 porsches now are a 930 and 6GT2, im in denial that they have PSM for a while, it must be great to have.
You can easily turn it off. I would have preferred to learn to drive without the aides as it is more education. I am afraid to do it, but I would think that a power slide around a corner in a GT2 takes a professional. A GT3 is so much easier to control and handle in corners and at speed. A slight bump on the gas pedal more than desired can create a huge problem with a GT2.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
You can easily turn it off. I would have preferred to learn to drive without the aides as it is more education. I am afraid to do it, but I would think that a power slide around a corner in a GT2 takes a professional. A GT3 is so much easier to control and handle in corners and at speed. A slight bump on the gas pedal more than desired can create a huge problem with a GT2.
With the advent of all these driver aids, I fear that people will never learn to actually "drive" a car... Most of the best drivers on the planet learned on Shifter Karts.. the absolute antithesis of electronic "nanny" driver aids. Yes, they use whatever technology can make them quicker, but it leaves them in the position of "best electronics package" wins, as opposed to best driver wins.

The same is true in the Motorcycle World.. Valentino Rossi wants all electronic traction type devices removed from Motorcycles because it negates the majority of the rider's input from the equation... He stated that these days the winner is the one who has the best tires and electronics package.

I instruct for a few of our local Driving/Track Day organizations and I make all students turn all their electronic stuff off... They will never learn how to control a Car if they never get to the point of losing traction or having the rear end step out on them, or experiencing oversteer or understeer and have to correct it...

For a street only situation where the weather is terrible etc, I can see how it adds a level of security for some people, but if you want safe, buy a Volvo or a Mini-Van... The other thing that concerns me is that the electronics can only save you to a certain degree.. once you are over that threshold, you are usually too far gone to save it "manually" by that point.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
With the advent of all these driver aids, I fear that people will never learn to actually "drive" a car... Most of the best drivers on the planet learned on Shifter Karts.. the absolute antithesis of electronic "nanny" driver aids. Yes, they use whatever technology can make them quicker, but it leaves them in the position of "best electronics package" wins, as opposed to best driver wins.

The same is true in the Motorcycle World.. Valentino Rossi wants all electronic traction type devices removed from Motorcycles because it negates the majority of the rider's input from the equation... He stated that these days the winner is the one who has the best tires and electronics package.

I instruct for a few of our local Driving/Track Day organizations and I make all students turn all their electronic stuff off... They will never learn how to control a Car if they never get to the point of losing traction or having the rear end step out on them, or experiencing oversteer or understeer and have to correct it...

For a street only situation where the weather is terrible etc, I can see how it adds a level of security for some people, but if you want safe, buy a Volvo or a Mini-Van... The other thing that concerns me is that the electronics can only save you to a certain degree.. once you are over that threshold, you are usually too far gone to save it "manually" by that point.
Very well said.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jamuz
porsche is most famous for turbo racing cars. can-am, 962, 935's, gt-1. you NA guys are kidding yourselves when u think the gt3 is the link to racing and track lineage, imo.

btw, 997 gt2 is great on the track, can carry a LOT of speed at the apex and u just gotta be smooth on the way out and then blast down the straights. will dust any gt3, rs, or tt easily in the right hands.
+1 The Turbo's are where it all began. Championship NA 911's were basically non-existent until the 996. The Turbos had been winning road and rally races for long long before that.

Originally Posted by 80shilling

I agree to an extent. Drivers aids can be helpful to "green" or very new students. At least some of the modern ones can. Meanwhile auto cross is a great place to learn car control when you can spin and not hurt anything (or anyone) for the most part. On a track with your expensive car is not a great place to learn all at once. Driving with the aids on can help to teach smooth driving as you learn how your car handles and reacts.

Once you become an advanced student/driver, much of that goes out the window when you learn how to toss the car and use slip angles on sticky tires that makes the traction systems go wild.

Wet driving is a must do, even at slow speeds it really helps the driver learn the cars tendencies at much slower rates that can be evenly applied to higher speeds in the dry.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 PM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
I bought a 7 GT2 because you don't need a right side mirror--there is no one beside you when you want to pull over in the right lane. It is a GT3 on steroids. Much faster than my 32 Ford!!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Z06
Z06 is infamous around these parts
Why 7GT2 over the 10 RS for one reason...easy 600HP plus the massive torque that goes with it!

When I was approaching my old 6GT3 on the Mosport long straight, my buddy was quickly waving me bye, I asked him after in the pits, why did you let off?
Answer, I never lifted...not at all!
I went by so fast I thought he was cooling down the brakes or pitting!

You must get a ride in one to understand, words will never do it justice!

Traqmate, P50 pads, Bilstein DA with a sorted suspension.. MPSC it Corners at 1.65g's, brakes 1.3g's!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Z06
Why 7GT2 over the 10 RS for one reason...easy 600HP plus the massive torque that goes with it!

When I was approaching my old 6GT3 on the Mosport long straight, my buddy was quickly waving me bye, I asked him after in the pits, why did you let off?
Answer, I never lifted...not at all!
I went by so fast I thought he was cooling down the brakes or pitting!

You must get a ride in one to understand, words will never do it justice!

Traqmate, P50 pads, Bilstein DA with a sorted suspension.. MPSC it Corners at 1.65g's, brakes 1.3g's!
What all have you done to the car?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Z06
Z06 is infamous around these parts
RS Tuning/Cargraphic 600HP package.

Cargraphic Bilstein DA race damper used in the Tuner shootouts, this damper was off of the Land RSR and then dialed into the street 7GT's with the help of the Bilstein factory race team using Motec data, on street tires.
Solid shock tops, comes with the kit.
Lower it around 17mm with bump steer and solid toe arms, rear RSR double control arms.
Corner balance and a great alignment.
P50 pads.
Close to zero time to get it set-up!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Z06
RS Tuning/Cargraphic 600HP package.

Cargraphic Bilstein DA race damper used in the Tuner shootouts, this damper was off of the Land RSR and then dialed into the street 7GT's with the help of the Bilstein factory race team using Motec data, on street tires.
Solid shock tops, comes with the kit.
Lower it around 17mm with bump steer and solid toe arms, rear RSR double control arms.
Corner balance and a great alignment.
P50 pads.
Close to zero time to get it set-up!
Sounds good. Go get you a Titanium exhaust from GMG. It is unbelievable. Then get a cage from them as well. I replaced the intercoolers and got new headers with an FVD tuning package. These cars are addicting.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
Let's clear some things up ... THE GT2 was not running away from me ... I did not have enough power to pull on the GT2 nor did he have enough to leave me ... I was waiting for the turns to try to pass him.

NOW if you want to get sticky ... I was catching him on the straight away until his car started to fall apart and I had to slam on my brakes to dodge an exhaust tip

Dario

Originally Posted by Bara
ok ok, you got me certainly the GT2 fulfilled its purpose that day. in that situation, its the car to have.

we had a sport bike rigged with cameras and at 175, you see the lambo and GT2 pull away and then the GT2 pulled away from the lambo. i was ahead about 1/2 mile up so didnt see what was going on behind me till i saw the vid.

at lunch after the drive, the lp640 driver told me he hoped to catch you in the turns but you never hit your brakes!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What exactly is the GT2 built for?