Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

What exactly is the GT2 built for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
What exactly is the GT2 built for?

for the street, people get the carrera or carrera S. where more power is desired, you get a turbo. for the track, its the GT3, want more, get the RS, want all out racer, get a cup car.

what exactly is the GT2's intended use?

everyone agrees NA is the way to go for the track and the 3 is more fun and involving to drive than the 2.

that leaves street driving where Edmunds and a couple of GT2 owners i have spoken to say the 2 is not a comfortable street car.

for highway pulls, you can get a turbo to incredible power levels,

So, who buys the GT2 and why?

not knocking the car, just here to learn.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM
AlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to behold
Built to oversteer you into a wall once the Turbos kick in, ....

Sorry, but that's what you get when you get the most evil 911.

-Alex

Old 01-08-2010, 08:05 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
GT2 is the top dog 911, not intended for the faint of heart. In this day of electronic nannies it's become the "widowmaker", but really no different from 911 Turbos of old.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
Originally Posted by Bara
for the street, people get the carrera or carrera S. where more power is desired, you get a turbo. for the track, its the GT3, want more, get the RS, want all out racer, get a cup car.

everyone agrees NA is the way to go for the track and the 3 is more fun and involving to drive than the 2.

that leaves street driving where Edmunds and a couple of GT2 owners i have spoken to say the 2 is not a comfortable street car.

The GT2 is basically a GT3 RS with the turbo motor. You get it when life becomes boring

Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
its the grocery car of Enzo owners.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
its gonna be my alternative daily LOL

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bara

The GT2 is the connection between the new 911's and the **** kicking Turbo 911's from the 90's and prior. It's also a money maker.

There are lots of GT2's on the track though, not everyone is satisfied with the limited potential of the GT3, nor wants the high maintenance of a cup car, or the watered down Turbo. The GT2 is all of the above shoved into one car.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
The GT2 is for when a Turbo or GT3 is not enough man extension and you can use another Inch or so.. I know I noticed an extra 2" when i got the Gt3.. LOL

Mike

Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
I'm more wondering, why would ppl add a turbo kit to a GT3 and not just straight up and buy a GT2?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:38 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
I bought it for 80/20 or 90/10 street/track use. I love the FI power on the streets, but didn't much care for the heavy GT feeling of the TT. I love the light front end of the RWD GTx cars and the ride is actually not bad at all for daily driving. If I was going to spend more time on the track w/ it I would have gone GT3 and had it been 100% street I would have gone TT. It's a niche product, and I wouldn't have bought it at MSRP, but an 08 at 400 miles and a 25% discount, I couldn't pass it up.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Spec is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
its the grocery car of Enzo owners.
I can't stop laughing.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 AM
jakegt3 is infamous around these parts
Walter Rohrl called the 997 GT2 the "best" Porsche out there. I'm sure he is referring to its capabilities on the track, although he posted a slightly faster time at the 'Ring in the Carrera GT.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
GT2 = ultimate Turbo'd Porsche.....
I would luv to own one (997 style)and might one day if the value keeps dropping like a lead balloon

Old 01-09-2010, 01:37 PM
GT2CS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Crea
I'm more wondering, why would ppl add a turbo kit to a GT3 and not just straight up and buy a GT2?
where do you drive all those cars in HK? and where do you keep them all?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:42 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
If you have to ask why then youll never get it! (kidding)

It is an interesting question you ask...and lots of good answers here...but i particularly like the "grocery getter for enzo owners" the best!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What exactly is the GT2 built for?