Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Enclosed Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
Enclosed Trailer Question

Is anyone out there towing their car in an enclosed trailer? If so what size? Is 20' or 24' best? I hope to not have to go above 24'? Thanks for the input.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 PM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
I'm not doing so now, but I used a 20' trailer for a couple of years to haul my GT3. Overall length was 24', but the 20' body gave me plenty of room for a small workspace at the front.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
58spdstr has a spectacular aura about58spdstr has a spectacular aura about
I tow mine in a 24' Featherlite enclosed. Plenty of room for additional tires, tools, ets. I have the all aluminum options (floor and ramp) so the trailer weight is arond 3200 lbs. empty. I easily tow the loaded trailer with my Toyota Tundra. A 20' would accomodate the car, but the extra room of a 24' is well worth it.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
thanks 58spster. Any regrets about not getting an escape door? Do you drive on or winch? how about extended ramp for such a low car? anything else you would advise on trailer decision?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned
BRracing is infamous around these parts
Would also recommend the 24' version.
We have had our enclosed trailer, a 20' Wells Cargo, for over 10 years. The 20' works, but makes things tight when loading. We have a full rolling tool box that we put up front, a set of front cabinets, canopies, spare tires and wheels, jack, stands, etc and it all fits, but after all the use, we really would have liked a 24' enclosed instead.
The trailer will last a long time...go for the extra space, and no, we don't need the escape door at all, but get the full width trailer...every inch in width helps a lot.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 AM
58spdstr has a spectacular aura about58spdstr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vpmick
thanks 58spster. Any regrets about not getting an escape door? Do you drive on or winch? how about extended ramp for such a low car? anything else you would advise on trailer decision?
I drive on and have no problems even with my car lowered to motorsport specs (about 8 - 10 mm lower than the factory set up). I do have a set of race ramps which I have used if the surface isn't quite level to avoid scraping the center exit exhaust tips (GMG) when backing out or if I put the car in the trailer with the front splitter on, for an overnight at the track. The featherlite ramp is generally long enough with the front splitter removed. If you leave the splitter on, you will need race ramps and probably some boards.

A winch is certainly convenient assuming that you have a front tow hook on the car and is an option that I'm considerring installing. The escape door isn't a must. I climb in and out with relative ease and tow the car with driver window down anyway. I routinely load and unload by myself, so its a pretty simple proceedure.

Hope that helps.