Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Cups, PS2s or RE-11s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
its a tough call. some of the alternatives are heavier and being that the tire is the most critical moving mass on the car, i find it hard to compromise.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bara
its a tough call. some of the alternatives are heavier and being that the tire is the most critical moving mass on the car, i find it hard to compromise.
If the weight differences of a tire are something that influence your buying decision you should just switch to slicks, they'll give you a ton more grip in the corners and decrease your lap times many times more than a weight change in cup tires would.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by raiyu
If the weight differences of a tire are something that influence your buying decision you should just switch to slicks, they'll give you a ton more grip in the corners and decrease your lap times many times more than a weight change in cup tires would.
can slicks be used on the street?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
i usually switch to bridgestone once the OEM tires needs replacing
michelins and Pirelli are just not worth the price/performance I get

for track tires, I just run A050R in 18"

Old 01-20-2010, 09:16 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
Thanks for all the feedback, love this forum.... my thoughts are to buy the RE-11s for road use. The weight and speed rating difference compared to the Cups are just a non issue in my view. I gain better tread life, wont panic if I see a puddle and not to mention the 600 bucks I can put towards track rims and tires J …Yep, I guess that’s the only solution.
Now I just need to find the track wheels and then choose the track tires

Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Didn't see anyone mention the Yoko AO48. I ran a set in 245/315 for my 6GT3 and they performed great, not noisy like the R888 either.
For mostly street driving, how about the Bridgestone RE050A's? Even the Enzo ran on a variation of that tire. 140 wear rating should be just about perfect for mostly aggressive street driving and these tires are very quiet and smooth riding.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
A048R are discontinued i think

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM
M3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud of
noobish question: when you have a 18" track set. do you have to set new aligmement and everything when you switch them with your 19" street wheels?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3lelena
noobish question: when you have a 18" track set. do you have to set new aligmement and everything when you switch them with your 19" street wheels?
Nope, alignment is not needed but I am sure you want to have more aggressive alignment for track once you get 18" wheels

Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by marcw
I get the shaved tire but why 18" wheels?
Here you go:

18" wheels/tires are
1. cheaper
2. lighter in most case
3. more brand selelction
4. easier to drive on track
5. more comfort

Start watching the video at 7:23

18" vs 19" wheel/tires

Last edited by mikymu; 01-21-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikymu
Here you go:

18" wheels/tires are
1. cheaper
2. lighter in most case
3. more brand selelction
4. easier to drive on track
5. more comfort

Start watching the video at 7:23

18" vs 19" wheel/tires

Got it... but it is also a good advert for the RE-11s I am also gonna buy

Old 01-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by marcw
Got it... but it is also a good advert for the RE-11s I am also gonna buy

Bridgestone is going to send me a 25 cents check just for your statement lol

Last edited by mikymu; 01-21-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
M3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud of
THe Re-11 doesnt seem to be available over here...only Re 01R

Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Thats what the RE11'rs replaced. Weird how they wouldn't have gotten the 11's yet?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
I ave been using MPSC in my cars for some years and I really like the performance (street and highway) I get from them,for track use I will say no since they over heat fast and they are very expensive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cups, PS2s or RE-11s