Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Cups, PS2s or RE-11s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:11 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
Cups, PS2s or RE-11s

Tempted to look at the RE-11s but want to know if anyone out there has tried them on their GT3... I track once a quarter but hate the tread life of the Cups on the street. The Cups are great, just want more bang for my tread buck if possible.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Allow me to add another choice and IMO the better tire. The Pirelli Corsa, plus now the Pirelli Trofeo is coming out and it's even better (check w/ GMG). For me the Corsa is the best track and DD tire. Great in the dry and excellent in the wet.
Good luck

Ranger

Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
Allow me to add another choice and IMO the better tire. The Pirelli Corsa, plus now the Pirelli Trofeo is coming out and it's even better (check w/ GMG). For me the Corsa is the best track and DD tire. Great in the dry and excellent in the wet.
Good luck

Ranger

What's the tread life like compared to the Cups? And have you tracked them?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Don't know about the Pirellis suggested by GT3Ranger, but I do know about the other 3 tires from personal experience on my GT3. The RE-11's are the best, hands down, for mostly street driving. I use Hoosiers on the track, but love the RE-11's for the street.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by lawjdc
Don't know about the Pirellis suggested by GT3Ranger, but I do know about the other 3 tires from personal experience on my GT3. The RE-11's are the best, hands down, for mostly street driving. I use Hoosiers on the track, but love the RE-11's for the street.

I guess i am trying to find a great compromise. Both track and road use with better than Cup tread wear.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by marcw
I guess i am trying to find a great compromise. Both track and road use with better than Cup tread wear.
In response to your post the Pirelli Corsa and the now new Trofeo (2 sec. faster said by GMG) is the tire. One tire for track and DD. The tread life is slightly better than the MPSC. The Corsa treadwear rating is 60 and the MPSC is 80 but those numbers are nebulous and debateable.
If you want to chamge tires for the track then I agree the Hoosier R6 is it for dry conditions.
I live in So, Florida. The MPSC in a good rain were like bars of soap on the wheels. At the track if we got rain your session is wasted.
Also the Corsa's come up to temp much faster than the MPSC's.
I'm really looking forward to new Pirelli Trofeo.

To your question, if you track say once a month and use your GT3 as a DD expect about 7 to 8K miles for the rears.

Again best of luck with your choices.

Ranger

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Marc

I hate MPSC on the track. It took forever to heat up while speedoflight do donuts around me and PS2 is a waste of money and can not be used on the track if you want any sort of respectable time. MPSC is tricky on the track and terrible in rain. I cross out both MPSC and PS2 long time ago and only use them on my OEM 19" for street.

I have no experience with RE-11. I have a hunch you will get 18" wheel soon for the track so hold tight there on tires selection.

I just got a set of Toyo RA1 shaved for my 18" CCW. I heard tons of great report on these tires and can't wait to try them out on track. So far they felt GREAT on the street and super quiet at speed. They can last a long time if you drive them both on street and track. I was told you can't heat cycle out the RA1 - you just core them. Best of all, I got them for $850 shaved and shipped since Toyo are closing them out. PM me for more info once you get your 18" wheel

Old 01-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Good luck

Ranger
Yep am using the Corsa semi slicks... great tires but life span still sucks with rears lasting at most 4 months or approx 3 to 4 trackdays....

Will in due course be shifting to PS2 or RE11 for the street as I am buying dedicated track wheels and slicks.... figure this is actually the cheaper way to go in the long run...

Last edited by Harold; 01-20-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 AM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
I have a few thousand street miles on a set of Yoko AD08, and l like them very much, better than the PS2. I have not used them on track, since I currently have R888's on track wheels. But I know from my experience with them so far, they would be very acceptable for a casual track tire. Most reviews I have read rate the AD08 and RE-11 as very comparable.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
RE 11's would work well for your situation. And the $$$$ savings is a big plus over PS2's and Pirelli's.

Peter

Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned
Are the RE-11's noisey?

Ranger

Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
i have just put re-11's on my 10gt3. i only have about 700 mi on and one track day, they are great. i only got 5k out of the mpsc's and with the price, i looked around for better value as i am the occasional track guy and mostly street, canyon carver. many say they are better than ps-2's for a combo guy like me.

i didn't notice any noise on street, at least not yet.

great value tire and expect to get 15 to 20k out of them. we'll see. cost, 290ea for 305/30/19 and 250ea for 245/35/19.

alan

Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Are the RE-11's noisey?

Ranger

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118

Good info on the RE 11, AD08, Star Spec, Kumho XS.

Interesting that the 295/30 18 AD08 is the same tread with as the Kumho XS 315/30 18

Peter

Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by mikymu
Marc

I hate MPSC on the track. It took forever to heat up while speedoflight do donuts around me and PS2 is a waste of money and can not be used on the track if you want any sort of respectable time. MPSC is tricky on the track and terrible in rain. I cross out both MPSC and PS2 long time ago and only use them on my OEM 19" for street.

I have no experience with RE-11. I have a hunch you will get 18" wheel soon for the track so hold tight there on tires selection.

I just got a set of Toyo RA1 shaved for my 18" CCW. I heard tons of great report on these tires and can't wait to try them out on track. So far they felt GREAT on the street and super quiet at speed. They can last a long time if you drive them both on street and track. I was told you can't heat cycle out the RA1 - you just core them. Best of all, I got them for $850 shaved and shipped since Toyo are closing them out. PM me for more info once you get your 18" wheel

The problem for me is the car is 80% a street car. I would give up some performance for a good alternative to the Cups. I just may buy another set of wheels or rims as you guys say over here.

I get the shaved tire but why 18" wheels?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I've run the Toyo R888s, MPSC, PS2s, and the RE-11s on track and street.

The best all around tire is the RE-11.

PS2 will be destroyed on the track in 2 days if you are driving fast because it doesnt have enough sidewall.

MPSC - horrible in the wet, can't be used as a DD tire unless you never drive in the rain. Predictable on track, all around good tire, but downsides are:
expensive
no wet traction
short tread life

R888s - noisy as a jet engine on take off. Better wet traction than MPSC, but not by much, not as response as the cups.

RE-11s - best of the bunch:
$600-700 cheaper per set than the Cups
Better tread life than the Cups
Better rain performance than the Cups (significantly better)
Quiet by comparison
Feel great for DD, the tires feel soft, confident
Predictable behavior on track with comparable grip to Cups

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cups, PS2s or RE-11s