Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why no PDK for 2010 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Originally Posted by mcm
Yes, and a monkey can drive it fast then ..
I guess monkeys can drive F1 cars fast too. The Scuderia only comes in F1, the 458, the Enzo, The stradale. Dont think that purists only drive 6 speed.

The next GT3 will likely have PDK. As has been stated here, it doesnt work with the GT1 engine. Thats likely the only reason why it doesnt have PDK. Purist, schmurist - thems are the facts.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:30 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
yes, this has been answered before.

GT1 engine does not work with PDK.

wait for next gen with the new engine.

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
I don't believe anyone is crying, pal. Just asking a simple question.

Actually a simple search did not reveal any threads on this subject. "PDK" is too short to work in the search function.

If you guys would re-read my original post, I said purist opinions aside...

Telling me that a GT3 is supposed to have a manual doesn't exactly answer my question. Thank you to those that did.

PDK GT3 - Search

Provides all the threads you can ask for.

You already got your original answer and it's likely that is not going to be the only answer as Porsche's fan base is made up primarily of purists which is why all of the front and mid engine variants have not been able to unseat the 911 for the flagship of the company.

Don't get your hopes up.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:34 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rodsky
I guess monkeys can drive F1 cars fast too. The Scuderia only comes in F1, the 458, the Enzo, The stradale. Dont think that purists only drive 6 speed.

The next GT3 will likely have PDK. As has been stated here, it doesnt work with the GT1 engine. Thats likely the only reason why it doesnt have PDK. Purist, schmurist - thems are the facts.

You must not have heard the part at the press release of the MK2 GT3 where the engineer said that there would be another life cycle for improvement in the GT1 motor.

You also must not have noticed that the RSR's always run a motor ahead of the GT3. If the motor cannot go in the RSR it won't go in the GT3. RSR's are still running 4.0 GT1's.

No PDK coming to GT3 anytime soon.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Looney is infamous around these parts
i think this is a personal thing,

i know people who will no longer be buying any new Ferrari's because there will be no 3 pedal option. but i also know people who would only buy F1/Egear etc.

none are bigger enthusiasts than any others, but one thing i have noticed is that those who buy egear cars generally are buyers who only keep a car for a short period then upgrade again. Those who buy manuals seem to be the guys who buy & keep them.

take what you will from my observation, but sometimes being the fastest or most efficient car around a track doesnt give you the biggest smile. I saw a video on the new turbo the other day. 0-60 in 3.01 seconds. and it didnt have any excitement of thrill to it. he just got in and stepped on the pedal. dont get me wrong its a technical feat and surely a real experience, but i doubt its any more fun than going 0-60 in 4 seconds in my car where i actually get to change gear.

Also i love down shifting & heel toe-ing, thats something i would miss terribly with an F1 gearbox.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Originally Posted by Looney
i think this is a personal thing,

i know people who will no longer be buying any new Ferrari's because there will be no 3 pedal option. but i also know people who would only buy F1/Egear etc.

none are bigger enthusiasts than any others, but one thing i have noticed is that those who buy egear cars generally are buyers who only keep a car for a short period then upgrade again. Those who buy manuals seem to be the guys who buy & keep them.

take what you will from my observation, but sometimes being the fastest or most efficient car around a track doesnt give you the biggest smile. I saw a video on the new turbo the other day. 0-60 in 3.01 seconds. and it didnt have any excitement of thrill to it. he just got in and stepped on the pedal. dont get me wrong its a technical feat and surely a real experience, but i doubt its any more fun than going 0-60 in 4 seconds in my car where i actually get to change gear.

Also i love down shifting & heel toe-ing, thats something i would miss terribly with an F1 gearbox.
True - but Ferrari doesnt seem to be worried as witnessed by the Scud and the 458. Maybe a dying breed of person who wont by F1 (that must be their thinking). I think the Scud's an OK car I like it more than any GT3 or GT2 variant.

I didnt buy my 4th 911 until PDK came out. Loved my 3 manuals. Love my PDK more - but thats ME. Dont understand why options are bad. Build both. Why would "purists" care what someone else buys anyways. Its not their car.

I play golf - use blades. I dont denigrate those that use perimeter weighted clubs..

Last edited by Rodsky; 01-31-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
True - but Ferrari doesnt seem to be worried as witnessed by the Scud and the 458. Maybe a dying breed of person who wont by F1 (that must be their thinking). I think the Scud's an OK car I like it more than any GT3 or GT2 variant.

I didnt buy my 4th 911 until PDK came out. Loved my 3 manuals. Love my PDK more - but thats ME. Dont understand why options are bad. Build both. Why would "purists" care what someone else buys anyways. Its not their car.

I play golf - use blades. I dont denigrate those that use perimeter weighted clubs..
Very well said. Why is it that guys with manuals think the rest of the people are so bad? I have both, and to each his own. I'm not going to throw darts at either person.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:39 PM
iceman996 is infamous around these parts
The only reason I didn't get the 2010 GT3 is not having PDK, but that is only ME. If I plan to drive the car more, PDK is a must.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
I've driven an '04 GT3 for 4 years, done many track events. Now track an '08 Viper ACR. Also have a Ford GT w/ 850HP. And have had many manual sports cars and I do okay on the track. Have earned a couple Top Time of the Day in the GT3 in Porsche Club events so that would make me a decent driver using a manual transmission, but... I still want a PDK GT3. Why? For the simple fact that I now want something different, a car lighter than the TT, more powerful than a C2S, more intimate and affordable than a GT2. What's wrong w/ what I want? Are you listening Porsche??? Dump the GT1 block and lets move on.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bli8
I still want a PDK GT3. Why? For the simple fact that I now want something different, a car lighter than the TT, more powerful than a C2S, more intimate and affordable than a GT2. What's wrong w/ what I want? Are you listening Porsche??? Dump the GT1 block and lets move on.
As long as its is still a true dry sump motor (unlike the A91 motor in the new turbo and Carreras), and continue to offer 6 speed; I have now problem with that

I love the DCT tranny in my 2008 M3, especially for everyday driving, but realized how much I missed a 6 speed when I got my GT3.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
Porsche - gt3 only manual
Ferrari - f450 no manual

kinda funny...i have dct in my m3, most because i dont like the manual box in the bmw...but the 6spd box in a porsche, especially the gt3 is just a dream

Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
Very well said. Why is it that guys with manuals think the rest of the people are so bad? I have both, and to each his own. I'm not going to throw darts at either person.
Because we are trying to separate those of use who buy Porsche's for their true meaning and those who just want to be seen behind the wheel of a Porsche, or having another expensive car in the garage. Posers who end up whining and getting the model lineup changed and having the manufacturer deviate from where it started. That don't want their GT3 to inconvenience them in traffic with a manual.

Look at BMW, they are nothing like what they used to be with the E30, E36 which were really drivers cars. Now the cars are big and pillowy soft. Now they don't look to build a M3 CSL, they'd rather build a X5.

That's the kind of garbage we'll end up with if we let posers take over the consumer opinion for Porsche. There will be plenty of cars with PDK in Porsche's lineup to choose from, can't we live in peace with just 1 car not having it????

We have people clamoring to scrap the GT1 motor, which is probably one of the winningest motors in history, and sure as heck wouldn't be easy to replace being so small in displacement, but so strong and effective. Having no clue what the motor means to Porsche or racing. People that want you to toss a proven race motor so they can have PDK with some BS unproven motor that they'd gladly accept. And these are the people you want Porsche thinking are their real enthusiasts? That really care about the real image of the brand?

Last edited by heavychevy; 02-01-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Because we are trying to separate those of use who buy Porsche's for their true meaning and those who just want to be seen behind the wheel of a Porsche, or having another expensive car in the garage. Posers who end up whining and getting the model lineup changed and having the manufacturer deviate from where it started. That don't want their GT3 to inconvenience them in traffic with a manual.

Look at BMW, they are nothing like what they used to be with the E30, E36 which were really drivers cars. Now the cars are big and pillowy soft. Now they don't look to build a M3 CSL, they'd rather build a X5.

That's the kind of garbage we'll end up with if we let posers take over the consumer opinion for Porsche. There will be plenty of cars with PDK in Porsche's lineup to choose from, can't we live in peace with just 1 car not having it????

We have people clamoring to scrap the GT1 motor, which is probably one of the winningest motors in history, and sure as heck wouldn't be easy to replace being so small in displacement, but so strong and effective. Having no clue what the motor means to Porsche or racing. People that want you to toss a proven race motor so they can have PDK with some BS unproven motor that they'd gladly accept. And these are the people you want Porsche thinking are their real enthusiasts? That really care about the real image of the brand?

Don't they do that now? We have the GT3 with manual and the Carrera S Cab for the chicks? Are we concerned that Porsche will travel the Ferrari route?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
even walter couldn't post better lap times with the pdk vs 6-speed on the new turbo. times were exactly the same. if walter couldn't do better, to say that us mortals could to better with pdk seems questionable.
i also have a 997turbo with tip and for me, it is so boring to drive, even as my daily driver. no involvement at all.
as for the motor, LONG LIVE THE GT1 BLOCK.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by 10GT3
even walter couldn't post better lap times with the pdk vs 6-speed on the new turbo. times were exactly the same. if walter couldn't do better, to say that us mortals could to better with pdk seems questionable.
i also have a 997turbo with tip and for me, it is so boring to drive, even as my daily driver. no involvement at all.
as for the motor, LONG LIVE THE GT1 BLOCK.

PLEASE PLEASE tell me you have a link to that........

This will silence the PDK homers that think you are all of a sudden Schumacher because you have electron shifter.

Sequentials ARE NOT WORTH SEVERAL SECONDS ON A TRACK!!!!!!! At least not the fake ones. Put a cup car sequential and you may be on to something.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
Don't they do that now? We have the GT3 with manual and the Carrera S Cab for the chicks? Are we concerned that Porsche will travel the Ferrari route?

Porsche have been making targas since the brand began. The 356 had a cabriolet version and then it went away until the early 80's. I could care less what/who they put in a Carrera S. This is a GT3 we are talking about, posers not welcome. (Welcome to buy, not welcome to make decisions on the future)

What we are concerned about is Porsche making a Cayenne Hybrid instead of a future replacement for the CGT. Or getting to the point where the GT2 RS would be scrapped for some other mommy-mobile. They are not there as of now, but if PDK gets in a GT3 that's where it's headed.

People like that are never satisfied, they will want AWD, then softer seats with power and heat (sound familiar), softer suspension, then a convertible, bigger trunk space, less noise, all in a GT3. If you think I'm playing look at all the guys that want a convertible Z06 and more garbage to go in that as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why no PDK for 2010 GT3?