Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why no PDK for 2010 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Porsche have been making targas since the brand began. The 356 had a cabriolet version and then it went away until the early 80's. I could care less what/who they put in a Carrera S. This is a GT3 we are talking about, posers not welcome. (Welcome to buy, not welcome to make decisions on the future)

What we are concerned about is Porsche making a Cayenne Hybrid instead of a future replacement for the CGT. Or getting to the point where the GT2 RS would be scrapped for some other mommy-mobile. They are not there as of now, but if PDK gets in a GT3 that's where it's headed.

People like that are never satisfied, they will want AWD, then softer seats with power and heat (sound familiar), softer suspension, then a convertible, bigger trunk space, less noise, all in a GT3. If you think I'm playing look at all the guys that want a convertible Z06 and more garbage to go in that as well.

What?! No convertible GT3 in the future?!

Kidding aside, the GT3 should stay as it is. NA, 6 speed, dry sump, near 3000 lbs trackable car. It seems to be the only true pure sports car left...
All other cars have too many options that only those who do not track would pick.

Last edited by GT1; 02-01-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
regarding my post that walter indicated no time difference with pdk, it comes from an article in the pca panorama mag, dec 2009, page 20.
question: "do we understand that the pdk was a second faster on the nordschleife than the six speed?"

walter rohl: "no. it was the same time."

Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 10GT3
regarding my post that walter indicated no time difference with pdk, it comes from an article in the pca panorama mag, dec 2009, page 20.
question: "do we understand that the pdk was a second faster on the nordschleife than the six speed?"

Very true. I liked the article. That was with the turbo. Walter was the guy who got the buttons removed as an option and went to paddles. Thank goodness he did that.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
if you guys are looking for quicker, more positive shifting with no chance of a mis-shift as the reason you are considering pdk, then i have an alternative for you.

install the cartronics sequential shifter (not to be confused with a sequential manual transmission). i have one and love it for both street and track. so far, no downsides. i never have to "hunt" for the gear i am looking for in any situation, never have to remember what gear i am in, just do i want to up or down shift.

the guys at rss/stuttgart performance, mike or bryan can help you with this. they did a great job with all of my mods, with more to come.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
For me, it is hard to understand why some people are saying that Porsche should put a PDK in the GT3 since Ferrari did in their product lines... as the core market for the GT3 is completely different than the F430 (and even more when looking at the price tag !). I don't know for you guys, but I don't meet that many Ferrari car owners (other than the Challenge race car pilots) on the tracks ! And when I do, the driver usually never come back after this "scary" experience. Probably more because of the typical Ferrari driver than the car itself !

If track addicts would really prefer a PDK transmission, it would already be in the GT3. IMO this car can be an enjoyable daily driver but was not builded for that purpose. Ferrari street cars can be fast on a track but they were not builded to target this market.

Last edited by GT3Techno; 02-02-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 10GT3

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

All you guys thinking your electronic shifters are going to make you a hero on the track.

So now that we've established that the PDK is no faster than a manual if you can actually shift a manual, what's your reasoning now?????

Traffic?
Too inconvenient?

All you get is a faster 0-60 time with launch control. If that is what you are looking for your certainly don't need to be in a GT3.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute

So now that we've established that the PDK is no faster than a manual if you can actually shift a manual, what's your reasoning now?????
Just read the article.

Walter said "I think it (PDK) makes life easier...", and he went on to say that for his own driving, "this time I will take a PDK...I think it's time to change."

So it looks like his decision towards PDK is for convenient and just for a change, but it has nothing to do with track time.

For us who enjoy our manual shifting and don't mind the "inconvenient" of shifting, we're glad that 6 speed manual is still available.

At the end of the day, this is just a shifting option. There is no right or wrong choice.

Happy Motoring.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Just read the article.

Walter said "I think it (PDK) makes life easier...", and he went on to say that for his own driving, "this time I will take a PDK...I think it's time to change."

So it looks like his decision towards PDK is for convenient and just for a change, but it has nothing to do with track time.

For us who enjoy our manual shifting and don't mind the "inconvenient" of shifting, we're glad that 6 speed manual is still available.

At the end of the day, this is just a shifting option. There is no right or wrong choice.

Happy Motoring.
I think is a right or wrong choice. I've been in the service bay at the dealer and saw that every Turbo they got was PDK, and I asked them if they were like that most places and was told the amount of 2010 Turbo's in PDK was pretty astonishing. Almost no one is getting a 6 speed.

The same reason for this thread is the same reason I don't want PDK in the GT3. These are limited production cars as is, putting PDK will cause a swarm of no driving posers to buy them up. We know what Porsche thinks of the US already when they put sunroofs in every 997.1 GT3 and wouldn't allow sunroof delete.

The GT3 as we know it NOW would die with a few manual cars being imported here and there. It would turn into the F430's and Lambo's with Egear that look like they may do good at the track, and may perform well in magazine comparos, but you never see them at the track.

Then slowly the GT3 will get bigger and softer until it's a BMW. Sorry, but I'd like to avoid that at all costs. Want PDK buy a C4, or Turbo or next gen GT2.

PS, Walter was talking about the Turbo, which completely makes sense. I'd buy PDK in a 997 TT too (so my wife could drive it) When he says he want's PDK in a GT3, then we can talk.

Last edited by heavychevy; 02-02-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
prodrive0 is a jewel in the roughprodrive0 is a jewel in the roughprodrive0 is a jewel in the roughprodrive0 is a jewel in the rough
For me, I see the GT3 as one of the few remaining vehicles that is all about the driver involvement. From the aero, to the engine, to the famous 6 speed, the racing heritage. The engine sound is there to remind you that this is a machine to be respected and enjoyed.

If that is not what you are looking for there are plenty of other cars Porsche offers that offer a sports car with all the creature comforts you think you want and need. IF that doesn't work for you buy a BMW or Lexus.

Leave the GT3 alone to the people who want the experience of bonding with the car, who enjoy the feel of that perfect heel toe, the reward of the perfect upshift, the feel of the three pedal dance, and want to take their track focused car to the track to prove its ability and improve on theirs.

Personally to me, the GT3 has been diluted to a degree, when buying a track car there is no need for bluetooth and upgraded speakers and what not. Forget everything else and focus on the drive. Why get full leather when alcantera holds you better but I guess that is why the offer the GT3 RS.

Anyone can push a paddle to upshift or downshift, only some understand the rewards of mastering a manual transmission

Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Well said.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:43 AM
aussie jimmy is infamous around these partsaussie jimmy is infamous around these parts
i totally agree with heavychey here.
porsche stopped doing the hardcore thing after the 993 rs was made.
since then luxuries have been added and added.
it really irks me to see the latest gt3's specc'ed up with pcm, leather, aircon and such - just kills the raw essence of this car which has the most amazing racing pedigree of all cars.
it's sacriledge. if people want comfort, buy a different model. or a different brand. people always want to be associated with the most hardcore product, even though they are not aligned, just to appear cool.
i've been to track many, many times, and i only know 1 ferrari driver who is serious, the other's are there to network and mingle. the gt3 driver is the true enthusiast. that's why we are here on these threads.
pdk is good for a daily driver, and porsche has gone to great lengths to make the gt3 into a semi-daily-driver, but maybe they have gone too far?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Geezer is just really niceGeezer is just really niceGeezer is just really niceGeezer is just really nice

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

All you guys thinking your electronic shifters are going to make you a hero on the track.

Ah. So all you have to do is learn to drive like this "Walter" fellow and the PDK advantage goes away. Seems simple enough.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 AM
GTEE3 is infamous around these parts
10GT3,
what did the Cartronics sequential set-up cost for your GT3?
missed down-shifts in the heat of battle on the track are the reason for PDK...the cost of an over-revved engine/locking-up the rear end is your worst nightmare.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 AM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GTEE3
10GT3,
missed down-shifts in the heat of battle on the track are the reason for PDK...the cost of an over-revved engine/locking-up the rear end is your worst nightmare.
No, they are the reason for advanced driving school.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Originally Posted by GTEE3
10GT3,
Missed down-shifts as a risk is remote at best... not more risky than pushing the lever to downshift instead of pulling it to upshift at acceleration using a sequential (or pulling the wrong paddle of an egear ?).

IMO when you need an automatic transmission to track your car because you are scared of a missed down-shift, you should use another track toy than a GT3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why no PDK for 2010 GT3?