Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why no PDK for 2010 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM
GTEE3 is infamous around these parts
GT3Techno,
I have driven a 6Gt3 Cup for the last 9 seasons...so I think I have some experience shifting a 6 spd..
You on the other hand, have chosen to drive a Cup w/ a SEQUENTIAL shifter (PDK) that CANNOT chose the wrong gear. Have a good day...

Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 AM
GTEE3 is infamous around these parts
JMDO997,
I don't think you have done enough close wheel to wheel racing to understand my point of view...but, you are right, you can never have enough driver training...which I seek every opportunity.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 AM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Originally Posted by GTEE3
GT3Techno,
I have driven a 6Gt3 Cup for the last 9 seasons...so I think I have some experience shifting a 6 spd..
You on the other hand, have chosen to drive a Cup w/ a SEQUENTIAL shifter (PDK) that CANNOT chose the wrong gear. Have a good day...
I am not questionning your shifting ability

As I said : "not more risky than pushing the lever to downshift instead of pulling it to upshift at acceleration using a sequential". So you can still chose the wrong gear using a sequential...

Having said that, you beleive a Cup car sequential is the equivalent of a PDK Good luck with your future transmission rebuilds PDK drivers

Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
in response to jdm0977, i doubt that "advanced driving schools" teach students the basics of the standard H pattern shifter. they are about car control (which, depending on the student's ability, includes shifting at proper points) but as we all know s__t happens. however, my original comments were regarding the "quicker, more positive shifting" provided by the sequential shifter. as a result of the "in-line" aspect of the shifter vs the H pattern, the opportunity for the mis-shift is drastically reduced.

as for the comments by gt3techno, well said by a guy who drives a sequential himself. however, i would disagree regarding the likelyhood of the missed shift with the sequential vs the H pattern car. again, my basic point was the faster, more positive shifts provided by the sequential shifter, as i am sure you, with a sequential yourself, would agree. and for your info, the installation does not turn your manual tranny into and automatic tranmission.

for gtee3, give mike or bryan at stuttgart performance/rss a call, they are a board sponson.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JMD0977
No, they are the reason for advanced driving school.

LOL, good one.

Originally Posted by Geezer
Ah. So all you have to do is learn to drive like this "Walter" fellow and the PDK advantage goes away. Seems simple enough.

No, not really, all you need to do is learn how to drive a stick and shift relatively decently. You may not match the PDK, but you won't lose much time.

What's funny is how bad the BMW crowd has been bitten by that slow SMG II in the M5 and M6, I've been saying for years that I can out shift that thing. Mention manual on M5 board and they'll talk like you added an anchor to the car.

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i totally agree with heavychey here.
porsche stopped doing the hardcore thing after the 993 rs was made.
since then luxuries have been added and added.
it really irks me to see the latest gt3's specc'ed up with pcm, leather, aircon and such - just kills the raw essence of this car which has the most amazing racing pedigree of all cars.
it's sacriledge. if people want comfort, buy a different model. or a different brand. people always want to be associated with the most hardcore product, even though they are not aligned, just to appear cool.
i've been to track many, many times, and i only know 1 ferrari driver who is serious, the other's are there to network and mingle. the gt3 driver is the true enthusiast. that's why we are here on these threads.
pdk is good for a daily driver, and porsche has gone to great lengths to make the gt3 into a semi-daily-driver, but maybe they have gone too far?
I might add the 996 GT3 RS to the hardcore stuff, though we didn't get one here. I agree about the Ferrari drivers. Even at the Ferrari track days where the challenge cars race, the DE drivers are pretty pitiful. Heck, some of the challenge drivers a re pitiful.

Originally Posted by GTEE3
GT3Techno,
A 997 Sequential is not even REMOTELY like a PDK. Racing (mechanical) sequentials and fake computer sequentials (PDK, DSG, SST, DCT) have next to nothing in common.

But the magazine fanboys will only look at hey, Porsche said the PDK will shift in .000000000245 seconds so they actually think they have a faster transmission than a real sequential. Pretty funny in actuality.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 AM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Originally Posted by 10GT3
as for the comments by gt3techno, well said by a guy who drives a sequential himself. however, i would disagree regarding the likelyhood of the missed shift with the sequential vs the H pattern car. again, my basic point was the faster, more positive shifts provided by the sequential shifter, as i am sure you, with a sequential yourself, would agree. and for your info, the installation does not turn your manual tranny into and automatic tranmission.
I tought we were giving our opinions on a PDK in the GT3

Sequential is not a PDK. Without a clutch you can't blip or make a power slide

Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
A Cup sequential is not double clutch, double selector or separated gears either.

PDK is a sequential manual gearbox, pre-selecting and computer controlled.

Cup Sequential is more like a manual with dog box that you're power shifting (hence the constant rebuilds). It's called sequential because it's not H pattern, the gears are straight cut and selected straight through.

In all actuality a cup sequential has more in common with a Manual that it does with a PDK.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
gt3techno,the op was about pdk, but some have turned it into somethings else. i posted an alternative with the sequential shifter and then the apparent bombs started to be thrown at me and geet3. i think that unless you have driven the gt3 with the sequential shifter, you can't comment except to show some bias and put down those who know the bliss of this system. as for you, you know the full experience of the sequential with your cup car (although it is a full sequlential gear box). i am sure that you would no more change out the sequential box for a standard six speed, than put an a91 motor in it with a pdk. and i can assure you that having put 5000 miles on with the shifter, it is exceptionally good, quick and positive.

in fact i have had the pleasure of giving a demo ride to one of trg's grand-am rolex drivers so he could see for himself. as a result he is planning on installing one on his personal gt3rs track car.

so, others, please don't judge without ever having driven with the sequential shifter yourself.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm confused now, are we talking about PDK, Cup Sequential or the RSS aftermarket one?

Is that paddle shifted as well?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
the cartronics sequential shifter is not eshift. still manual, like the cup car, but requires clutch both up and down, just faster and more positive. the shifter is not sloppy and requires a little effort to make the shift for that positive feel. trust me, it's much faster than stock with no hunting for the notch. i do wish i had video to show you guys its use and benefit but i don't. perhaps one day, if i can find a sugar daddy to buy me an onboard camera system.

you can go to the cartronics web site to check it out. cartronics.com i think.

for anyone in socal, i would be happy to demo first hand, just pm me to set up.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Oh that thing.......

I don't buy that it's much faster than stock when you have to clutch up and down. You should not be hunting for notches if you've driven your car for more than a few hundred miles and shifted a hundred times or so. If you were a granny shifter maybe, but even theoretically a smooth manual shift will not be much if any slower than this.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:32 PM
heavychevy, once again, comments based on no experience. i personally have 5000 miles of experience with this system and almost 40 years of H pattern experience in porsches starting in 1972 (note signature).
if sequential was not faster, why did porsche commission seimens engineering to develop this system for the 996 cup cars? it was to keep up with competitors with full sequential gear boxes (this was prior to porsche putting sequential boxes in their cup cars).

but once again we digress from pdk which is a whole 'nother thing.

"try it, you might like it".

Old 02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
as for you, you know the full experience of the sequential with your cup car (although it is a full sequlential gear box). i am sure that you would no more change out the sequential box for a standard six speed.
Funny how we were arguing all that time saying the same thing...

I fully agree, as I am sure you wouldn't install a real PDK in your GT3

Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
czechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
What's funny is how bad the BMW crowd has been bitten by that slow SMG II in the M5 and M6, I've been saying for years that I can out shift that thing. Mention manual on M5 board and they'll talk like you added an anchor to the car.
You meant SMG III and the reason why E60 M5 guys hate the 6speed tranny is because BMW did not intend to build 6speed M5 at all. When the market demanded the 3 pedal version, the 6speed was just a poor afterthought and didn't match the V10 engine's characteristics...

So no wonder they hate the manual.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 PM
aussie jimmy is infamous around these partsaussie jimmy is infamous around these parts
the cartronics sequential shifter is not eshift. still manual, like the cup car, but requires clutch both up and down, just faster and more positive. the shifter is not sloppy and requires a little effort to make the shift for that positive feel. trust me, it's much faster than stock with no hunting for the notch. i do wish i had video to show you guys its use and benefit but i don't. perhaps one day, if i can find a sugar daddy to buy me an onboard camera system.

you can go to the cartronics web site to check it out. cartronics.com i think.

for anyone in socal, i would be happy to demo first hand, just pm me to set up.
isn't this the same one as the oakley shifter?
how is it in traffic?
i think the cup car sequential is made by hollinger in melbourne?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why no PDK for 2010 GT3?