Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why no PDK for 2010 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Why no PDK for 2010 GT3?

This has probably been answered before, but I couldn't find it.

Purist's opinions that "real" sports cars need 3 pedals aside, why doesn't porsche offer PDK in the new GT3?

Even those that cry blasphemy can't ignore the technical merit that PDK provides. Maybe Walter Rohrl can pilot the GT3 around the 'ring in record time with the manual, but many in the rest of the world might welcome the speed and precision that PDK brings.

Most top-flight sports car and supercar manufacturers are going to double-clutch trannies for a reason.

So why is it not an option?

Last edited by Axxlrod; 01-29-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
yes, this has been answered before.

GT1 engine does not work with PDK.

wait for next gen with the new engine.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Would ruin the RAW feeling of rowing gears that the GT3 has IMO.. I guess it could always be an option but would dilute the amount of manuals produced..

Mike

Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 AM
ishmerc is infamous around these parts
that the only thing stopping me from getting a GT3 ,no PDK

Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
The 2010 motor is not a GT1 block, or maybe I said that wrong. It is the 3.8 liter motor. Porsche makes this car specific to track people and the 6 speed is specific to those guys. Wait for the GT2 RS. It has PDK. You may not see the GT3 ever with PDK. It is a pure sports car.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 AM
aussie jimmy is infamous around these partsaussie jimmy is infamous around these parts
3 reasons.

1. pdk doesn't fit gt1 block
2. pdk would add too much extra weight
3. pdk would cause pandemonium and disdain within the tight knit worldwide gt3 community, resulting in a massive backlash against porsche, and will show how the power of the internet can overturn ill-informed decisions made by beancounters and marketing people rather than engineers.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 AM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
The 2010 motor is not a GT1 block, or maybe I said that wrong. It is the 3.8 liter motor. Porsche makes this car specific to track people and the 6 speed is specific to those guys. Wait for the GT2 RS. It has PDK. You may not see the GT3 ever with PDK. It is a pure sports car.
There are 2, 3.8 motors. The GT3 3.8 liter GT1 block dry sump motor and the new Carreras and Turbos which have the A91 block 3.8 liter integrated dry sump motor (which is really a wet sump motor). The A91 was designed to be able to mate with the PDK, unlike the GT1.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
The 3.8L GT3 engine is a pure GT1-derived block. The A91 engine is crap, IMHO. So why mate a PDK with a A91 engine?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
It doesn't fit. Thanks guys. Makes sense.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:15 AM
mcm
mcm is infamous around these parts
Dont Cry - buy a turbo if you want PDK
GT3 should and be, a real feeling sport car for real drivers

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 AM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mcm
Formula 1, indy cars, and production cars such as the ferrari 458 italia are paddle shift style, so think about what you're saying.

i enjoy 6 speed myself, but i think a gt3 with pdk would be very tempting. not only faster in a straight line, but also quicker lap times.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 AM
mcm
mcm is infamous around these parts
Yes, and a monkey can drive it fast then ..

Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
A simple search would have provided several threads asking the same question.

There is another life cycle left in the GT1 block motor for the GT3. The next GT3 will still have a derivative of the same motor. Probably a 4.0. There will be no PDK any time in the near future.

I have found that most of the people who want PDK in the GT3 want it for daily driving or they just aren't very skilled with a manual. The GT3 was built for skilled drivers and not daily driving, so it's likely you may want to buy something else.

I really hope Porsche develop a real streetable mechanical (not electric) sequential that takes some skill to drive and really rub it in their faces.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:30 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
The GT2RS with PDK is coming out in September.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by mcm
I don't believe anyone is crying, pal. Just asking a simple question.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
A simple search would have provided several threads asking the same question.

There is another life cycle left in the GT1 block motor for the GT3. The next GT3 will still have a derivative of the same motor. Probably a 4.0. There will be no PDK any time in the near future.

I have found that most of the people who want PDK in the GT3 want it for daily driving or they just aren't very skilled with a manual. The GT3 was built for skilled drivers and not daily driving, so it's likely you may want to buy something else.

I really hope Porsche develop a real streetable mechanical (not electric) sequential that takes some skill to drive and really rub it in their faces.
Actually a simple search did not reveal any threads on this subject. "PDK" is too short to work in the search function.

If you guys would re-read my original post, I said purist opinions aside...

Telling me that a GT3 is supposed to have a manual doesn't exactly answer my question. Thank you to those that did.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why no PDK for 2010 GT3?