Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

When backing up brakes 'clunck'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
When backing up brakes 'clunck'

I've noticed that after driving forward and then stopping, backing up, and hitting the brakes again, they make a light but noticablle 'clunk sound. This only happens the first time you hit them. It seems like maybe the pads are shifting back a tiny bit in the calipers, or something more serious is loose.

Any ideas or insight?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 AM
hrm
hrm is infamous around these parts
I had a similar issue with my car. When backing up and hitting the brakes there was a loud clunk. The dealer couldn't figure it out. It took a small independent shop to figure out that it was a loose set of bolts . Can't recall where they were, but it's worth a shot. Sorry for the vague answer, but it's all I can recall.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
That's a great clue. Thanks. So much for my loose pads theory.

I definitely want to get this squared away before hitting the track.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Joe had the same observation with his GT3: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-i-backup.html

NO, he did not run over the neighbor's cat

I suspect it's the brake pads moving forward and back hitting the pad stops on the brake caliper. I heard the same thing when I switch from PCCB to steel rotors. No big deal. The "clunk" and "thump" are all gone after couple track events replaced by brain piercing squeals LOL

Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
^ yep i had that problem. it just resolved itself... don't hear it anymore. i can't remember when was the last time i heard it but i haven't been running the oem pads for a long time now. never found smoking gun but it's very likely the pad shifting. i wouldn't worry too much about it.