Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Any PCCB heavy track users?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:26 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
My first hand experience....

I've been using the P50's for both the track and street on my GT3 with PCCBs for 2 years now. Although I don't track this car very hard, it does see about 8-10 track events per year. I don't see the need to swap pads out at all. The wear on these pads with street use is unnoticeable. I have no problems with stopping on the street, even when the brakes are cold. Although, I do think it would be foolish to run up at high speeds on cars, stop lights, stop signs, etc... when the brakes are cold. But for normal driving and stopping, there is absolutely no problem with the P50 on the street.

I have had no problems at all with my PCCBs showing any type of wear or damage from track use. I use Castrol SRF brake fluid, bleed the brakes, bed the pads in properly, and utilize my cool down lap(s). Maybe I'm overcautious, but I also change out the P50 pads when they approach 50% of their orginal thickness (measured with calipers).

Much like 80shilling posted, much of what is discussed about the PCCB's on the track, and the use of P50s on the street is just 2nd and 3rd hand information being tossed around. My real life experience tells me otherwise. Also, keep in mind that I live in South Carolina. Right now the low temps are in the 30's, but it definitely doesn't get as cold as a lot of the northern states.

This last portion I'm writing may or not be 100% accurate: I believe that that the P50's are made by Pagid for Porsche Motorsports. They were intended for use with the PCCBs. I was told by my dealership that I should only be using brake pads that were specifically designed to be used with PCCBs to avoid damaging the rotor. As far as I know, the only two pads specifically designed to be used with the Porsche GT3 PCCB rotors would be the stock OEM pads, and the green P50 motorsports pads. I personally would not try to run other pads with your PCCBs.

Best of luck.

Dan

Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by docdan
I've been using the P50's for both the track and street on my GT3 with PCCBs for 2 years now. Although I don't track this car very hard, it does see about 8-10 track events per year. I don't see the need to swap pads out at all. The wear on these pads with street use is unnoticeable. I have no problems with stopping on the street, even when the brakes are cold. Although, I do think it would be foolish to run up at high speeds on cars, stop lights, stop signs, etc... when the brakes are cold. But for normal driving and stopping, there is absolutely no problem with the P50 on the street.

I have had no problems at all with my PCCBs showing any type of wear or damage from track use. I use Castrol SRF brake fluid, bleed the brakes, bed the pads in properly, and utilize my cool down lap(s). Maybe I'm overcautious, but I also change out the P50 pads when they approach 50% of their orginal thickness (measured with calipers).

Much like 80shilling posted, much of what is discussed about the PCCB's on the track, and the use of P50s on the street is just 2nd and 3rd hand information being tossed around. My real life experience tells me otherwise. Also, keep in mind that I live in South Carolina. Right now the low temps are in the 30's, but it definitely doesn't get as cold as a lot of the northern states.

This last portion I'm writing may or not be 100% accurate: I believe that that the P50's are made by Pagid for Porsche Motorsports. They were intended for use with the PCCBs. I was told by my dealership that I should only be using brake pads that were specifically designed to be used with PCCBs to avoid damaging the rotor. As far as I know, the only two pads specifically designed to be used with the Porsche GT3 PCCB rotors would be the stock OEM pads, and the green P50 motorsports pads. I personally would not try to run other pads with your PCCBs.

Best of luck.

Dan
Hey Dan

Very useful feedback and thanks for the detail description. I am leaning toward the P50 pads and like to give it a try to see how it compare with OEM pads and steel Cup rotors with Pagid RS 29. Hope your weather improve in a month or so

Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 AM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
I believe that the P50's are made by Pagid for Porsche Motorsports. They were intended for use with the PCCBs.
For your information, the green P50 are also the stock pads that comes with the Iron rotors on the 2009 997 Cup Car.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT3Techno
For your information, the green P50 are also the stock pads that comes with the Iron rotors on the 2009 997 Cup Car.
What??!! You mean this one? It's green alright but is it Pagid P50??

Old 02-08-2010, 02:03 PM
hrm
hrm is infamous around these parts
It sounds like a majority of the detrimental effects occur due to improper use (i.e. not heating them up during track days, heavy track use) or incorrect pads. There's so much contradicting information out there that it's difficult to make an informed decision as to their purchase.

What are the correct pads for PCCBs.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:09 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hrm
It sounds like a majority of the detrimental effects occur due to improper use (i.e. not heating them up during track days, heavy track use) or incorrect pads. There's so much contradicting information out there that it's difficult to make an informed decision as to their purchase.

What are the correct pads for PCCBs.
For my GT2:

2707 Pagid GREEN... 2707 Pagid GREEN P50 PCCB Porsche Motorsports pad
2405 Pagid GREEN... 2405 Pagid GREEN P40 PCCB Porsche Motorsports pad

These are the EXACT and only correct Pad that is at present authorized for use by Porsche.. They are Porsche Motorsports parts, OEM for Porsche by Pagid.

Get them from Craig at Rennstore and be prepared for a bit of a sticker price shock. Call the number below and ask for Craig, as they are NOT listed on the Website at present.

Follow the break-in procedure to the letter and you will be fine.

Rennstore LLC
218 Main Street Suite 200
Kirkland, WA 98033
http://rennstore.com/
425-765-1090

Last edited by 80shilling; 02-08-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
Originally Posted by mikymu
What??!! You mean this one? It's green alright but is it Pagid P50??

Porsche Motorsport parts

Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
My 2 cents:

I track my GT3 only 1-2 times a year. I have a 997 with PCCB. Stock brakes but I flush the brake fluid before a track event. One particular event was at Hallett(near Tulsa) and the car was driven back to back by a couple of friends of mine who are instructors. The car has had no issues. I do proper warm up and cool down laps. The brakes are used hard but not abused.

In 11/09 I put in the rear cool ducts(standard equipment of the '10's). At that time my rear pads measured 9+mm after 12,000 miles and 4 or so track events.

YMMV

Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 AM
seefouress is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=docdan;2717894]I've been using the P50's for both the track and street on my GT3 with PCCBs for 2 years now. Although I don't track this car very hard, it does see about 8-10 track events per year. I don't see the need to swap pads out at all. The wear on these pads with street use is unnoticeable. I have no problems with stopping on the street, even when the brakes are cold. Although, I do think it would be foolish to run up at high speeds on cars, stop lights, stop signs, etc... when the brakes are cold. But for normal driving and stopping, there is absolutely no problem with the P50 on the street.

Hey Dan,

Greetings from another Carolinian! Do you get a lot of noise from the P50's when cold? The OEM pads on my PCCBs are so quiet that I'd hate to swap them out. Guess I would need to though for the track eh?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seefouress

Hey Dan,

Greetings from another Carolinian! Do you get a lot of noise from the P50's when cold? The OEM pads on my PCCBs are so quiet that I'd hate to swap them out. Guess I would need to though for the track eh?

Sometimes they are perfectly quiet like stock pads (approx 75% of time) and 25% of time there is a mild squeak. (a 1-2, out of 10). I'm not sure what makes them squeak and why they're quiet other times.

I do know what loud squealing brake pads sound like. Try some Performance Friction 01 compunds or Pagid RS29, both of these pads on iron rotors squeak and squeal like a friggin' freight train coming to a stop. They also will stop you so fast you feel like your teeth might come flying out.

Dan

Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned
stacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to behold
Performance Friction 01 compunds or Pagid RS29, both of these pads on iron rotors squeak and squeal like a friggin' freight train coming to a stop. They also will stop you so fast you feel like your teeth might come flying out.

Dan

They should come with free dental insurance!!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
guys, what is the "proper bedding procedure" for the pccb pads?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned
stacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to behold
I have a set of 996 PCCB rotors and hats with only 2000 miles on them....if anyone is interested?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 10GT3
guys, what is the "proper bedding procedure" for the pccb pads?
This is Directly from Pagid's Web Site on how to break in the P50's.

Find an open piece of road (preferably not on the public highway).. Get the car up to 90 mph and do 5 stops in a row from 90mph down to 50 mph with medium but firm brake pressure... Then for the last one, go to 110 mph and do a medium hard stop from 110 mph down to 50 mph.

BE VERY CAREFUL!! As you might find (as I did) that one side, or one corner will bed in more quickly than the others and this will cause uneven braking and if you are not on a flat piece of road, it can cause the Car to behave badly.

Once you get to the track, your first session, do not go bonkers on your braking, take it somewhat easy... When you come in, your brakes will probably be smoking a bit.. DO NOT PANIC... once they have cooled and you go out for the next session, all will be well and you can be at full use on your brakes...

Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 AM
jamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to behold
hey guys, great thread. any thots on p50 pads for modded tt's vs gt3? still the best to use with pccb? thanks in advance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any PCCB heavy track users?