Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Any PCCB heavy track users?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:37 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
So... It turns out that the pads were the OEM original pads that the Car comes with, but they had chunked.... Here is Craig's reply to me:

"AH yes the P90 pads – the pads which chunk – OEM PCCB pads which are painted yellow but are not Pagid Yellows, per se"

So... I am lucky that I checked and didn't track them, or I might have ruined my PCCB rotors...

Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Hey Graham

Thanks for looking up the parts number on the brake pads. My head hurts from all the research on possible PCCB combinations. Here is what I gather:

P50 suitable for track and they are the same as Pagid RS15 pads

P40 OEM PCCB pads from factory for street and same as Pagid RS14 pads

P90 found on Generation I PCCB for 996 and same as Pagid RS19

Here is the friction vs temperature graph for various Pagid pads:

Notice how much more friction RS 15 generate compare with all other pads. It generate the highest friction per temperature hence used in motorsport racing but not the favor for endurance due to excessive wear on rotor. Pagid RS29 are the pad of choice for endurance.

Here is the description of each pads from Pagid:

RS 14 Black
Medium high friction racing compound with high initial bite, excellent release characteristic, very good modulation (controllability) and due to the high ceramic content low heat conductivity. RS14 has a low wear rate and is fade resistant up to a temperature of 650°C (1,200°F). Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, DP, single-seaters, NASCAR .

RS 15 Grey
High friction racing compound with high content of ceramic materials, fade resistance up to 700ºC (1,300ºF). It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear. Although the RS15 has a good controllability and release characteristic it needs finesse to avoid over braking the car, especially with lightweight cars or cars with boosted brakes. Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, high down-force single-seaters, NASCAR.

RS 19 Yellow
Best compound for endurance racing on the basis of the RS14. A slight reduction of the friction value improves the modulation (controllability). Nevertheless, the friction value is enough for cars without power-assisted brake system and ensures comfortable low effort on the brake pedal. Constant temperatures up to 600°C (1,100°F) are possible. The combination of friction value, fading stability and low wear rates on pads and discs (rotors) realised with this material is unmatched up to now. Due to its excellent release characteristics and controllability PAGID endurance materials are also often used for sprint races. A multiple winner of Daytona 24h, Le Mans 24h, Sebring 12h, Spa 24 h, Nürburgring 24h, often with no pad change and usually no disc (rotor) change. Application: All endurance racing cars from Group N (Speed-WC, Grand Am Cup), Group A up to GT and Sport-Prototypes (Grand Am DP).

RS 29 Yellow
RS29 combines the outstanding wear rate of the RS19 with a slightly higher coefficient of friction and initial bite. Due to its excellent driveability PAGID endurance materials are also often used for sprint races. Application: All endurance racing cars from group N (Speed-WC, Grand Am Cup), Group A up to GT and Sport-Prototypes (Grand Am DP).

It is recommended to change out P50 pads when not on street as not to wear out PCCB to avoid having your rotors look like this:

Many have used Pagid RS29 for both street and track with good success for several years going through several sets of RS29 pads including NJ-GT and GlennMc on rennlist. I have an extra set of RS29 and will give it a try soon.

Last edited by mikymu; 02-16-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
GT1
GT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud ofGT1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikymu
Hey Graham

Thanks for looking up the parts number on the brake pads. My head hurts from all the research on possible PCCB combinations. Here is what I gather:

P50 suitable for track and they are the same as Pagid RS15 pads

P40 for street and same as Pagid RS14 pads

P90 found on Generation I PCCB for 996 and same as Pagid RS19

Here is the friction vs temperature graph for various Pagid pads:

Notice how much more friction RS 15 generate compare with all other pads. It generate the highest friction per temperature hence used in motorsport racing but not the favor for endurance due to excessive wear on rotor. Pagid RS29 are the pad of choice for endurance.

Here is the description of each pads from Pagid:

RS 14 Black
Medium high friction racing compound with high initial bite, excellent release characteristic, very good modulation (controllability) and due to the high ceramic content low heat conductivity. RS14 has a low wear rate and is fade resistant up to a temperature of 650°C (1,200°F). Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, DP, single-seaters, NASCAR .

RS 15 Grey
High friction racing compound with high content of ceramic materials, fade resistance up to 700ºC (1,300ºF). It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear. Although the RS15 has a good controllability and release characteristic it needs finesse to avoid over braking the car, especially with lightweight cars or cars with boosted brakes. Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, high down-force single-seaters, NASCAR.

RS 19 Yellow
Best compound for endurance racing on the basis of the RS14. A slight reduction of the friction value improves the modulation (controllability). Nevertheless, the friction value is enough for cars without power-assisted brake system and ensures comfortable low effort on the brake pedal. Constant temperatures up to 600°C (1,100°F) are possible. The combination of friction value, fading stability and low wear rates on pads and discs (rotors) realised with this material is unmatched up to now. Due to its excellent release characteristics and controllability PAGID endurance materials are also often used for sprint races. A multiple winner of Daytona 24h, Le Mans 24h, Sebring 12h, Spa 24 h, Nürburgring 24h, often with no pad change and usually no disc (rotor) change. Application: All endurance racing cars from Group N (Speed-WC, Grand Am Cup), Group A up to GT and Sport-Prototypes (Grand Am DP).

RS 29 Yellow
RS29 combines the outstanding wear rate of the RS19 with a slightly higher coefficient of friction and initial bite. Due to its excellent driveability PAGID endurance materials are also often used for sprint races. Application: All endurance racing cars from group N (Speed-WC, Grand Am Cup), Group A up to GT and Sport-Prototypes (Grand Am DP).

It is recommended that to change out P50 pads when not on street as not to wear out PCCB to avoid to have your rotors look like this:

Many have used Pagid RS29 for both street and track with good success for several years going through several sets of RS29 pads including NJ-GT and GlennMc on rennlist. I hav an extra set of RS29 and will give it a try soon.
Do you mean when not at the track? The P50 are for track use...

BTW, great info. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:52 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JMD0977
Do you mean when not at the track? The P50 are for track use...

BTW, great info. Thanks.
Yeah, change out P50 to P40 or other less aggressive pads for street since P50 has the highest coefficient of friction among Pagid pads. It will help your PCCB last longer

Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM
10GT3 is infamous around these parts10GT3 is infamous around these parts
i noticed that the guy in the video did not use the pad spreader, any comments?
where did you guys get the spreader?
i notice that it is "giro disc", right?

Old 02-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by 10GT3
I got my Giro disc spreader from Craig at Rennstore: http://rennstore.com/

I forgot how much it cost but very reasonable

Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 10GT3
Yeah.. When he used a pair of pliers to spread his pads, I cringed.. I just have this image of the pliers slipping and screwing a rotor up (EXPENSIVE mistake that would be).

I too got my Girodisc spreaders from Craig at Rennstore...

Old 02-15-2010, 07:01 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
So, which ones are the original factory replacement brake pads for PCCB sold by dealer?

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by slawek
So, which ones are the original factory replacement brake pads for PCCB sold by dealer?
P40 or Pagid RS14 are the one found on your PCCB from factory and not suitable for track unless you brake way early and give Miata point by

Old 02-16-2010, 04:57 AM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mikymu
P40 or Pagid RS14 are the one found on your PCCB from factory and not suitable for track unless you brake way early and give Miata point by
Thank you so much

Old 03-12-2010, 06:16 PM
englishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant future
anyone have a factory 2 pc hat they can temporarily spare or sell. I need one for mock up on a 996TT

Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 80shilling
What I have seen so far on the Internet and on some of the Porsche Forums is people who have heard something from a friend that knows someone whose cousin used PPCB's and his car exploded, so you should NEVER use PCCB's because.. etc, etc.. The number of people who HAVE actually used these brakes is a VERY small subset of POrsche owners and they fall into a couple of groups.. Those that ran the first gen PCCB's at the track with stock pads and did indeed have issues due to the stock pads being too soft for track work.. they overheated, chunks fell out of them and they damaged the rotors through a combination of overheating in some areas and actual physical damage from the chunks being pushed into the rotors by the rest of the pads. The other group, has done their research, gone with the Porsche Motorsports recommended pads, bled their brakes THOROUGHLY, bedded the pads in correctly and have gone on to do many successful track days.
My 996 GT2 destroyed it's first set of PCCBs in 9,000 miles, the second lasted a similar amount of time, before going to Performance Friction Steel rotors. The car was run only on Pagid RS29s with warm-up and cool-down N.B. MY OWN CAR - REAL FACTS!. I have another very good friend who had a similar experience in his 996GT2 and a third friend who toasted his CGT PCCBs and he is an excellent driver, who has previously raced Porsches.

That said, it seem that the 997 PCCBs are a marked improvement over previous versions, with my friends who have those reporting no problems so far. The increased size rotor, with bigger wheels and the rotor re-designs seem to have massively improved cooling. GlenMc who is referenced on here has done 50-100 trackdays on his PCCBs without problem and he has won class in Carrera Cup a few times now, so is not slow.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Guy
My 996 GT2 destroyed it's first set of PCCBs in 9,000 miles, the second lasted a similar amount of time, before going to Performance Friction Steel rotors. The car was run only on Pagid RS29s with warm-up and cool-down N.B. MY OWN CAR - REAL FACTS!. I have another very good friend who had a similar experience in his 996GT2 and a third friend who toasted his CGT PCCBs and he is an excellent driver, who has previously raced Porsches.

That said, it seem that the 997 PCCBs are a marked improvement over previous versions, with my friends who have those reporting no problems so far. The increased size rotor, with bigger wheels and the rotor re-designs seem to have massively improved cooling. GlenMc who is referenced on here has done 50-100 trackdays on his PCCBs without problem and he has won class in Carrera Cup a few times now, so is not slow.
I wonder if there was a certain batch of PCCB rotors that were the problem? I know that the first gen's had issues. I now have 52 track sessions on my setup with Porsche Motorsports Greens (Pagid P50's) and have had nothing but perfection from them.. Mikymu was at our last Laguna event giving HIS PCCB setup it's last chance and he had serious issues going into turn 11.. no actual issue with the rotors or pads in terms of a physical problem, but he was getting some type of ABS issue (that's his take on it) that caused the brakes to lose most of their stopping power.. Seems like it was turn 11 only which is just plain weird, becasue turn 2 is WAY heavier braking..

Strange issue really...

Nice to meet another GT2 owner. How often do you track the Car? Also, what year is your Car? First or second Gen PCCB's?

I'm Scottish BTW (from Crail) and a transplant to San Francisco..

Cheers..

Last edited by 80shilling; 03-13-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
playboymd is infamous around these parts
Pccb rear pads?

What is the factory rear pccb pads on my 07-gt3rs.

I will be driving on the street & also some track days.

So I was going with the front RS29 pad
What rear pad?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 AM
ASAP is infamous around these parts
i was wondering if someone could give me an opinion on my rotors...

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any PCCB heavy track users?