Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Any PCCB heavy track users?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:00 PM
jdrake is infamous around these parts
Newb Question

I just purchased a 2004 GT3 with PCCBs, 12,000 miles and still 70% original pad and rotors in great shape. I intend to track the car initially 4-5 times a year on tracks in and around Dallas area.

This is my first Porsche but I have done HPDE events regularly over the past 10-12 years with other cars. My previous car, a 2008 Z06 never exhibited brake fade on any of the tracks except for the high speed ROVAL at Texas Motor Speedway.

What setup should I go with initially as I learn the car? I have seen a lot of opinions in this thread to the point that I am now a bit confused. I do enjoy driving the car on the street and prefer the lowest maintenance option, but want to maximize the life of my rotors and calipers.

Great thread! I am learning a lot.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
I would go ahead and replace the pads with a new set of Pagids. I believe the greens are the motorsport pads, but people do not recommend using them on the street. Depending on how much you use the car for the track, your best bet will probably be to switch to steels.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:29 PM
jdrake is infamous around these parts
So I am assuming the Pagid Greens P40's with my PCCB's ... For the better rotor wear?

Also, it was mentioned that installing the cup cooling ducts are a good idea earlier in this thread. Should I consider that as well?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
I don't think it would hurt to add the cup ducts. I have no idea how expensive they are or what the installation looks like though.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Mcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jdrake
I just purchased a 2004 GT3 with PCCBs, 12,000 miles and still 70% original pad and rotors in great shape. I intend to track the car initially 4-5 times a year on tracks in and around Dallas area.

This is my first Porsche but I have done HPDE events regularly over the past 10-12 years with other cars. My previous car, a 2008 Z06 never exhibited brake fade on any of the tracks except for the high speed ROVAL at Texas Motor Speedway.

What setup should I go with initially as I learn the car? I have seen a lot of opinions in this thread to the point that I am now a bit confused. I do enjoy driving the car on the street and prefer the lowest maintenance option, but want to maximize the life of my rotors and calipers.

Great thread! I am learning a lot.
First of all, congratulations on the purchase. I picked up mine in August ('04 996 GT3 with PCCB and 12k miles). I recently replaced them with the brembo set-up on all four corners. Sharkwerks did a thread on this in February. I was able to use the stock calipers and simply swapped out the rotors/hats/pads. They performed extremely well last week during a track day.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jdrake
So I am assuming the Pagid Greens P40's with my PCCB's ... For the better rotor wear?

Also, it was mentioned that installing the cup cooling ducts are a good idea earlier in this thread. Should I consider that as well?
The Pagid greens are the ONLY pad that Porsche thinks you should use at the track. Get a set and rest assured that you have the right tool for the job. Make sure you break them in correctly, as it is VITAL to making them work correctly.

I have done 70+ track days on my rotors (I have the Gen II rotors, I replaced the Gen I's that the Car came with) with the Pagid greens. Flawless stopping, zero fade, the rotors are still in perfect shape. I am running 2 seconds a lap faster than the GT3's and GT3 Rs's at Laguna Seca.

Make sure you have top level brake fluid in your system (castrol SRF, Motul, ATE Super blue/Gold) and bleed, bleed, bleed...

If you search, you will find all the info I posted regarding Pagid recommended break-in procedures etc.

Cheers and have fun at the track.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:39 AM
Stay_Tuned is infamous around these parts
Hi, do 997 Carrera S fit 996 gt2 calipers ?

Old 05-27-2021, 11:00 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
All this pad switching makes my head hurt.
I would switch to AP iron rotors with the aluminum "hats" and AP calipers.
add in the amazing Emotion Engineering brake pads and then forget it.
When I sell the car, I would put the PCCBs back on.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor
Redisc is infamous around these parts
Pccb refurbishment

Hi guys, I have some exciting news for you. Our company has the option to refurbish, repair or even upgrade carbon ceramic discs.
So if you are dealing worn-out ceramic discs, maybe even some damages, you can contact us here or send an email. More info you can find also on https://www.redisc.si/en/

The service performed at ReDisc d.o.o. is based on an innovative technology that we have been developing for more than 10 years. We are the only company in the world that has its own production line for the refurbishing of heavily worn carbon-ceramic discs. we have made 500 pcs and no returns. Our aim is to make carbon-ceramic discs available to a wider group of drivers, in a more affordable way, and to save existing users money on their vehicle maintenance.

We can also upgrade your new discs, by giving them extra protection from entering the oxygen.and coat carbon fibers inside. This way discs are more resilient and have longer life duration.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:43 AM
Former Vendor
Redisc is infamous around these parts
Pccb refurbishment

Hi guys, I have some exciting news for you. Our company has the option to refurbish, repair or even upgrade carbon ceramic discs.
So if you are dealing worn-out ceramic discs, maybe even some damages, you can contact us here or send an email. More info you can find also on https://www.redisc.si/en/

The service performed at ReDisc d.o.o. is based on an innovative technology that we have been developing for more than 10 years. We are the only company in the world that has its own production line for the refurbishing of heavily worn carbon-ceramic discs. we have made 500 pcs and no returns. Our aim is to make carbon-ceramic discs available to a wider group of drivers, in a more affordable way, and to save existing users money on their vehicle maintenance.

We can also upgrade your new discs, by giving them extra protection from entering the oxygen.and coat carbon fibers inside. This way discs are more resilient and have longer life duration.

<y