Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Laguna Seca track season opener

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedoflight
mike, i think you mean accelerating out after turn 11? i can't imagine anyone shift from 2nd-3rd BEFORE turn 2. i don't see you doing that in your video either. looks like you are downshifting from 4th-3rd before turn 2 then staying 3rd for a long **** time. hehe. i usually go 4-3-2 going in to turn 2. then 2-3rd coming out of turn 2. i used to have that shifting 2nd-3rd gear problem as i power out of turn 2 but i think overtime i may have adapted to it. it goes in fine and i have stock lsd.
Yes, going from 2nd to 3rd after turn 11 before the bridge. Engine is screaming at 7-8K RPM. Notice how you pull away from me on that stretch ... I am fiddling with the shifter and not accelerating that is why

I take turn 2 in 3rd gear - it's a safety switch for me so I don't drift like you

Old 02-03-2010, 05:35 PM
racer073 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the welcome messages guys. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't tracked my RS. Just haven't had the opportunity. So far I've only got a few grand am races and I'm coaching a quick young guy in Indy Lights this year so hopefully I'll be able to get out there. BTW, laguna is probably the track I've visited the most in my career and I'm totally jealous that you guys get to go have a blast in your porsches (and other cars)

Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Harold
Great vid mate! Unfortunately my trackday opener is this saturday.. which happens to fall on my birthday so the wife is demanding I stay home.... so my first track day for the year will only be on the 27th... I can hardly wait after seeing all your vids!!! Keep em coming guys!!!

BTW, Mike I thought I was the only one with 2nd to 3rd gear problems. Mine occurs on a specific right hand sweeper (turn 3) at Sepang and at high rpm. Would be interesting to know if there is any solution other than to slow the change down a bit...
Happy birthday Harold! You look really young for being 25 years old

Yes, I saw your response on rennlist. I am diligently looking for a solution and you can count on me to find an inexpensive way to fix the problem DIY

Originally Posted by racer073
Thanks for the welcome messages guys. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't tracked my RS. Just haven't had the opportunity. So far I've only got a few grand am races and I'm coaching a quick young guy in Indy Lights this year so hopefully I'll be able to get out there. BTW, laguna is probably the track I've visited the most in my career and I'm totally jealous that you guys get to go have a blast in your porsches (and other cars)
No worry Alex. Patrick Dempsey don't track his RS either

Laguna Seca is one of my favorite track except for the sand trap. I spend two hours digging out all the sand under the car after I spun out right after corkscrew. You can't beat $250 for two days pretending to be a race car driver

Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by racer073
Yeah.. Occasionally, I feel guilty about living so close to such a great track, but I think I have learned to live with that particular burden ... It would be great to have you join us for a two day Weekend at Laguna with your RS.. I'm sure we could all benefit from your experience.

I will be having Lonnie Pechnik (Flying Lizard/TRG etc as well as Audi Race School instructor) as a guest/instructor at Laguna some time this year.. Even though I have been an instructor for over 10 years, it always helps to have a Pro who drives Porsche 911 style Cars refresh my skills and knowledge every so often...

Glad you are on this Forum and I'm sure we all hope to gain some insight into how we can drive better.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 PM
racer073 is infamous around these parts
saw patrick at daytona, man that guy is passionate about racing $$$$$! I watched you vid, looks like ur race car drivin to me! Turn 9 is always tough. You have to be super aware of the camber and elevation change. If you don't get the car rotated towards the apex at the crest and stick the car in to that bowl you pick up that push and it's over. no harm no foul though, you got rollin and right back on it

Old 02-03-2010, 06:38 PM
fuhrius is infamous around these parts
what track group were you with you there?

if you run laguna seca very often, a great spend of $$ is to do a skip barber race school out there...they'll teach you to *wire* that course.

Last edited by fuhrius; 02-03-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikymu
Yes, going from 2nd to 3rd after turn 11 before the bridge. Engine is screaming at 7-8K RPM. Notice how you pull away from me on that stretch ... I am fiddling with the shifter and not accelerating that is why

I take turn 2 in 3rd gear - it's a safety switch for me so I don't drift like you

yeah i notice that in your vid. you might want to have that checked out. it's not normal if you are having those issues on a straight line.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
tedean is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikymu
Track season has finally started. We were able to squeeze in couple dry days this past weekend at Laguna. Here are some impression on car setup:[/URL]
Mikymu,

is that a Traqmate DU mount, or something else?

TEDean

Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by speedoflight
yeah i notice that in your vid. you might want to have that checked out. it's not normal if you are having those issues on a straight line.
I am going to install a triple clutch sequential tranny from Ferrari and never have to use a clutch again LOL

Originally Posted by tedean
Mikymu,

is that a Traqmate DU mount, or something else?

TEDean
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention about the traqmate mount. It's from panavise and it mounts on the windshield with a suction cup. Very sturdy. You can get it from Proadvantage for $10. I would recommend a quick release attachment for additioanl $4 for ease of removal. The 4 bolts pattern fit the back of the traqmate perfectly. Here are the links:

http://www.provantage.com/panavise-810~7PANV00A.htm
http://www.provantage.com/panavise-675-bt~7PANV00M.htm

You can always order both together from Panavise directly for $20

Here is the link: http://www.panavise.com/index.html?p...qskudatarq=135

Last edited by mikymu; 02-03-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned
DTOWNGT3 is infamous around these parts
There is a group of us so cal guys from RennTrack.com going to Laguna on March 4-5 for a Trackmasters event..... are any of you nor cal guys going????

Old 02-04-2010, 06:02 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DTOWNGT3
There is a group of us so cal guys from RennTrack.com going to Laguna on March 4-5 for a Trackmasters event..... are any of you nor cal guys going????
I might be up for it.. We have an event on Feb 25th, so that would be two weeks in a row I would have to ditch work... Would be fun though, since I did the Trackmasters event last Sunday, then the NCRC event on Monday ..

By then I will have my exhaust, tune and DV's on the Car..

Old 02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned
DTOWNGT3 is infamous around these parts
Great hope to see some you guys there.. we have a group of 5+ 997 guys all trailering up!

Gomez and Mobonic are coming too!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by DTOWNGT3
Great hope to see some you guys there.. we have a group of 5+ 997 guys all trailering up!

Gomez and Mobonic are coming too!
Cool! Love to meet you guys

I will be at Laguna on 2/25 with NCRC. Will try my best to make it on 3/4 but not 3/5. have to pay the rent some how

Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks to Graham aka 80shilling for these fantastic pictures down the corkscrew! It must be one heck of a climb up the hill to take these pictures. can't wait to get back to Laguna in a few weeks!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
nice pics

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.