Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Laguna Seca track season opener

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Video Laguna Seca track season opener

Track season has finally started. We were able to squeeze in couple dry days this past weekend at Laguna. Here are some impression on car setup:

Tire: Got to try out Toyo RA1 for the first time and it drove well and behave much like Nitto NT01 - predictable and easy to control. Slippery when hot pressure went over 40 psi. More ideal around 34-36 psi

Suspension: The car started out at stock hight and does not feel tight on turns. I lower both front and rear suspension by twisting the height adjustment two 360 turns each corner and drop about 1.5 mm each corner. Car felt much better and help me finally break 1:50 down to 1:47. I lower the car further two 360 turns again each corner (total 3 mm each corner) the next day and felt even better

Brake: I really hammer the Cup rotors hard this time around with RS29. it performed super well with consistent stopping power at each turn. Brake zone before crokscrew is still tricky. I find myself tapping on the brake just before the crest before crockscrew to settle the front before the final braking

Tranny: Now this is the problem. I experience slight grinding going from 2nd to 3rd up the straight before turn 2 especially when RPM climb pass 7K. Slight pause before shifting into 3rd helps but that kills momentum. I was told this is a well know problem in our GT3/RS? Will engine mount help to minimize engine movement under load?

Camcorder: wide angle lens rocks! Shorter extension arm on the camcorder mount minimize shaking

Helmet: Love my new HJC SI-12 helmet. Much more comfortable with HANS device compare with my motorcycle helmet lol

Run group: Tried advance group for the first time and it was a blast!! Love the fact we don't have to wait for a point by to pass. Will likely run advance from now on

Here is a Video to sum up the weekend at Laguna Seca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHxdSezbs1k

Last edited by mikymu; 02-03-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 PM
empty is infamous around these parts
Any noticeable difference from the new diff?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by empty
Any noticeable difference from the new diff?
Easier to power out out turn and throttle steer. Very happy with the change

Old 02-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Lol love the opening song!! Must really pump you up huh?

EDIT: what camera are you using?

Last edited by Misanors4; 02-03-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Misanors4
Lol love the opening song!! Must really pump you up huh?
LOL

We waited forever on that session to get going while they gather all the spec Miata and clear the track. Kelly was nice enough to keep me company. It's good to feel all nice and relax before hammering away on the track

Old 02-03-2010, 01:31 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Nice !! Thanks for posting... That was an almost perfect couple of days down at Laguna....

See you at the next event...

Old 02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Nice !! Thanks for posting... That was an almost perfect couple of days down at Laguna....

See you at the next event...
Oh yeah, track was wet on Saturday morning and ABS kick in on every braking zone. We wipe up the track for the bikes that day and dried up after couple hours. See ya on 2/25

Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Great vid mate! Unfortunately my trackday opener is this saturday.. which happens to fall on my birthday so the wife is demanding I stay home.... so my first track day for the year will only be on the 27th... I can hardly wait after seeing all your vids!!! Keep em coming guys!!!

BTW, Mike I thought I was the only one with 2nd to 3rd gear problems. Mine occurs on a specific right hand sweeper (turn 3) at Sepang and at high rpm. Would be interesting to know if there is any solution other than to slow the change down a bit...

Last edited by Harold; 02-03-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
racer073 is infamous around these parts
Hey guys, new to the forum. Not sure what to post where but wanted to say that I've been a racing driver since I was 14 and have not had much opportunity to do many open(fun) track days. You guys kick a**! Seeing you guys have a blast and push your own cars to the limit makes me feel extremely luck about the opportunities I've had racing. I gotta get out and join ya sometime. Glad to be member! keep it up!
ALEX FIGGE

Old 02-03-2010, 04:46 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by racer073
Hey guys, new to the forum. Not sure what to post where but wanted to say that I've been a racing driver since I was 14 and have not had much opportunity to do many open(fun) track days. You guys kick a**! Seeing you guys have a blast and push your own cars to the limit makes me feel extremely luck about the opportunities I've had racing. I gotta get out and join ya sometime. Glad to be member! keep it up!
ALEX FIGGE
Are you THE Alex Figge??? If so, then welcome and be prepared to answer a LOT of questions on driving technique for us bunch here.......

Old 02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I guess I am THE Alex Figge, haha. Always willing to answer any and all questions from people who are pumped about driving. Really happy to be involved with everybody. Oh my god!, I hope there's not another Alex Figge competing for my rides! What if he's quicker and better looking than me!? haha

Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I guess I am THE Alex Figge, haha. Always willing to answer any and all questions from people who are pumped about driving. Really happy to be involved with everybody. Oh my god!, I hope there's not another Alex Figge competing for my rides! What if he's quicker and better looking than me!? haha
So what do you drive off the track? I know a couple of ALMS series guys and they drive Minivans.. one of them drives a BMW 750i...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I drive a Range Rover regularly but I have an 07 GT3RS. I got married in september though so maybe I'm headed for a minivan

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikymu
Tranny: Now this is the problem. I experience slight grinding going from 2nd to 3rd up the straight before turn 2 especially when RPM climb pass 7K. Slight pause before shifting into 3rd helps but that kills momentum. I was told this is a well know problem in our GT3/RS? Will engine mount help to minimize engine movement under load?

mike, i think you mean accelerating out after turn 11? i can't imagine anyone shift from 2nd-3rd BEFORE turn 2. i don't see you doing that in your video either. looks like you are downshifting from 4th-3rd before turn 2 then staying 3rd for a long **** time. hehe. i usually go 4-3-2 going in to turn 2. then 2-3rd coming out of turn 2. i used to have that shifting 2nd-3rd gear problem as i power out of turn 2 but i think overtime i may have adapted to it. it goes in fine and i have stock lsd.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:18 PM
ALEX FIGGE
Welcome to 6speed and hope you can join us one of these days Alex
I guess open track days can be fun without the stress of racing. Love to see some track video of your GT3 RS in action

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.