Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Data Aquisition Systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
Data Aquisition Systems

I am thinking about buying a data aquistion system and would like to get the groups thoughts on which one is best. Simplicity is key as I am not super technical. Cost effective is good. Primary function would be accurate lap times but would like to eventually interface to a video camera.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
Do take a look at Race-Keeper.com
Very easy to use...video and data on a usb key... plug into your computer and analize!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 PM
fcracer is infamous around these partsfcracer is infamous around these parts
I've researched DA systems extensively for the past few weeks. I've spent countless hours playing with the software from each reasonably priced vendor (reasonable = <$1,500 all-in).

All the hardware pieces basically do the same thing, 3-axis accelerometer, GPS and a display that shows lap times. All the units interface beautifully with video using Trackvision software . The key differences are three-fold:

1. The display and what information it provides. Some do predictive lap timing, others provide split times.
2. The ease of use of the software as well as how powerful the software can be as you mature into understanding how to use the data.
3. The connectivity to your existing ECU and/or inputs in order to get more meaningful data (ie, RPM, throttle position sensor, etc.).

My research resulted in it coming down to three units and their pros and cons (in no particular order because only you can decide what's important for you):

1. AIM EVO4 + Mychron3 Visor Dash. Price is about $1200-1400 depending on options.
Pros:
- Nice sized LCD dash with shift lights, provides lots of information
- Very powerful software that feels really polished and has a huge user base from karting and now automobiles.
- Has a built-in CAN connection to connect to the GT3 ECU either through a cable tap or via the OBD2 connector. This connectivity provides everything from RPM to individual wheel speeds. For the cable tap, you need to splice into only two ECU cables for more channels and information than you'll know what to do with.
Cons:
1. Not many people use AIM in cars, so it's tough to compare your laps with your friends.
2. Software is very powerful, but much more complex than the Traqmate software and about par with the Racepak software.
3. Provides split timing and the +/-, but doesn't do predictive timing yet (AIM says they are working on it and it's a firmware update away).

Racepak G2X Pro. Price is about $900.
Pros:
1. Powerful, but clunky software, feels very beta.
2. Very bright LED dash
3. Fantastic almost constant predictive lap timing (one of the best driving tools around)
Cons:
1. Software is really clunky.
2. Dash is LED based so room for information is challenging and some of the on-screen messages are cryptic as they tried to make the LED's form letters.
3. Requires add-ons to connect RPM and no CAN BUS interface.

Traqmate Complete. Price is about $999.
Pros:
1. Very, very, very easy to use software and hardware, literally plug and play.
2. Dash is very small which makes it easier to mount, but limits the content
3. Fantastic almost constant predictive lap timing with an intuitive bar graph display (one of the best driving tools around)
4. Huge user community to share tracks and laps.
Cons:
1. Software is somewhat limited in ability (rumour is that they are about to launch a much more powerful version). Having said that, 99.5% of people will find the software fine.
2. Dash is small so you can't do RPM, etc. on it.

The fourth one which I didn't do too much research on is the gorgeous Racepak IQ3 integrated dash/DA unit. It retails for something like $1300 and looks like a Motec dash. The reason I didn't investigate it much is because it really needs to be mounted behind the steering wheel as you'd do on a racecar and that was not something I am wiling to do on my streetcar.

Ultimately, it comes down to:

1. How do you like the software?
2. Do you want predictive lap timing or are you ok with split times?
3. Do you want RPM, etc. from the CAN bus or are you ok with G's and MPH?

I chose the AIM and it's arriving in two weeks. PM me if you want more info.

Cheers.

Last edited by fcracer; 02-13-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Banned
DTOWNGT3 is infamous around these parts
Chase Cam now makes the camera and data seamlessly.

No syncing necessary.

I have it in my track 911

Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 AM
rmag is infamous around these parts
Another thing to consider is what system your track friends use (especially if they have the same type car). If you all run the same system then you can swap data files and compare segments and learn from each others data. No use asking someone how he takes a section of the track if he's 1/2 second slower than you. But if he's quicker than you, find out what they are doing!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fcracer
I've researched DA systems extensively for the past few weeks. I've spent countless hours playing with the software from each reasonably priced vendor (reasonable = <$1,500 all-in).

All the hardware pieces basically do the same thing, 3-axis accelerometer, GPS and a display that shows lap times. All the units interface beautifully with video using Trackvision software . The key differences are three-fold:

1. The display and what information it provides. Some do predictive lap timing, others provide split times.
2. The ease of use of the software as well as how powerful the software can be as you mature into understanding how to use the data.
3. The connectivity to your existing ECU and/or inputs in order to get more meaningful data (ie, RPM, throttle position sensor, etc.).

My research resulted in it coming down to three units and their pros and cons (in no particular order because only you can decide what's important for you):

1. AIM EVO4 + Mychron3 Visor Dash. Price is about $1200-1400 depending on options.
Pros:
- Nice sized LCD dash with shift lights, provides lots of information
- Very powerful software that feels really polished and has a huge user base from karting and now automobiles.
- Has a built-in CAN connection to connect to the GT3 ECU either through a cable tap or via the OBD2 connector. This connectivity provides everything from RPM to individual wheel speeds. For the cable tap, you need to splice into only two ECU cables for more channels and information than you'll know what to do with.
Cons:
1. Not many people use AIM in cars, so it's tough to compare your laps with your friends.
2. Software is very powerful, but much more complex than the Traqmate software and about par with the Racepak software.
3. Provides split timing and the +/-, but doesn't do predictive timing yet (AIM says they are working on it and it's a firmware update away).

Racepak G2X Pro. Price is about $900.
Pros:
1. Powerful, but clunky software, feels very beta.
2. Very bright LED dash
3. Fantastic almost constant predictive lap timing (one of the best driving tools around)
Cons:
1. Software is really clunky.
2. Dash is LED based so room for information is challenging and some of the on-screen messages are cryptic as they tried to make the LED's form letters.

Traqmate Complete. Price is about $999.
Pros:
1. Very, very, very easy to use software and hardware, literally plug and play.
2. Dash is very small which makes it easier to mount, but limits the content
3. Fantastic almost constant predictive lap timing with an intuitive bar graph display (one of the best driving tools around)
4. Huge user community to share tracks and laps.
Cons:
1. Software is somewhat limited in ability (rumour is that they are about to launch a much more powerful version). Having said that, 99.5% of people will find the software fine.
2. Dash is small so you can't do RPM, etc. on it.

The fourth one which I didn't do too much research on is the gorgeous Racepak IQ3 integrated dash/DA unit. It retails for something like $1300 and looks like a Motec dash. The reason I didn't investigate it much is because it really needs to be mounted behind the steering wheel as you'd do on a racecar and that was not something I am wiling to do on my streetcar.

Ultimately, it comes down to:

1. How do you like the software?
2. Do you want predictive lap timing or are you ok with split times?
3. Do you want RPM, etc. from the CAN bus or are you ok with G's and MPH?

I chose the AIM and it's arriving in two weeks. PM me if you want more info.

Cheers.
Very good research!! I have also been studying the different options, and the decision is difficult!. I really like the IQ3, very complete, powerful and great display unit!!. AIM also seems to be excellent. But even if traqmate is less powerful and has a lousy display unit, it seems like it is easy to use and has a broad base of users in my area. so I'm probably going this way.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
no one has mentioned the VBox Performance Box. It's quite a bit less expensive but doesn't appear to have abiltiy to interfact to video down the line? I think they have two versions: Drift Box and Performance Box with Drift box having yaw capabilites. Any one have input?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
i would like to reopen this thread and keep the opinions coming as i too am trying to get a system together for july 5th ! looking for preowned as well, anything at this point... : >

Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Number54 is infamous around these parts
I have a Performance Box. It's perfect for lap timing and very simple to use. To be honest, I wish I had bought the drift box. Not that I drift, but I'd like to measure my slip angles at the track

As far as video... When I bought the unit, I asked about video overlay. They linked me to a company that had software that could read PerformanceBox data and do video overlays. Unfortunately I can't remember the company. But now I see Racelogic has a new product called "Circuit Tools" that appears to do that for free.

If you do video overlay with a PerformanceBox, you won't get the "regular" data acquisition stuff like RPM, throttle pos, brake pos. Just something to consider.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Old 06-28-2010, 06:18 PM
One more link... I *believe* the product that can overlay PerformanceBox data with your video is this one: http://www.trackvision.net/

$195 for the regular version which has a watermark, $295 for the "pro" version that does not have a watermark.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
jbxea1 is infamous around these parts
I have used a PerformanceBox for about a year now and have found it to be simple, reliable and cost effective. I use it mostly as a lap timer mounted to my windshield but also download the data onto my PC for after track analysis. I have a GoPro HD Hero mounted to my rollbar for video, but that is a completely separate sytem.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
I have an use the Chasecam system

Video and data integrated and recorded together so no syncing issues

Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 AM
I ended up buying the Racelogic Performance Box ( PBox ) from Neil Switzer...he had a great 6Speed Member price. It's a great lap timer and very simple to use. Unfortuantely I'm a Mac user and all software is Windows based so i haven't been able to download info from memory card.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:12 PM
BelMaseto is infamous around these parts
I'm using Race Technology stuff: DL1 data logger, 2-cam Video4 device, Dash3 display, OBD connection, and some additional sensors like brake pressure and steering angle.

Great equipment, very good support and the best data analysis software I've ever seen.

Not easy no deal with, multiple cables and a lot of time learning the software, but it's really worth.

Regards.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Data Aquisition Systems