Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

James Sofronas drives GOMEZ car at Willow Springs Raceway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by trackjunkie
I remember my instructors telling me I should be flatout through turn 9 exiting at ~135-150mph and entering turn 1 at 110mph.
Your kidding right.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
TrackJunkie,

Im not discrediting your statement of:
"I remember my instructors telling me I should be flatout through turn 9 exiting at ~135-150mph and entering turn 1 at 110mph."

but I'll give you some facts:

1. James Sofronas is the driver in the video. He is a PRO driver and winner of 2 World Challenge races in a 997 GT3 Cup car, and I believe 2nd place overall.

2. The fastest time in recent memory for a closed wheel car at willow is: 1:18 in a 1000 HP NSX (Billy Johnson was the driver, 26ish in age), and I belive his exit speed at 9 was about 110-120 mph max.

3. I have seen James do 1:20's in his cup car all day, with an estimated exit speed of turn 9 at around 115 mph. (Estimated guess from talking with his engineers in the pits).

If YOU or your instructor can exit turn 9 at 135-150 mph, you must be in one hell of a fast and grippy car (maybe an open wheel car???) and have ***** of titanium!

I exit turn 9 at 90-100 mph and I'm at my comfort limit (green wall is just smiling at me).

I would love to see some data/video of anyone coming out of turn 9 at 135+ mph.....

FYI

Here is Billy Johnson's lap record lap, mention above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCX7tSASH1s

Last edited by mobonic; 02-28-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
Still love seeing the older cars run fast times.
Think it takes more to push a 1972 model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbA-pkFQayQ

Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Thats a great time for a 72 911.

Looks like he was running hossiers or even slicks.

The 997S above was on FULL tread Ra1's... James said with hoosiers he could do 3-4 seconds faster and with slicks 5+ seconds faster...

also the car had a very happy tail and the suspension and sway settings are being readjusted.

But yes, I love seeing these old 911's put down those fast laps... it takes quick hands!

But the new cars especially the 997's are heavier and wider.... just different cars completely!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 PM
kubrick is infamous around these parts
ok I was gonna say? I put down a 1:31 last time and I'm no where close 120 on 9. Thanks for pointing that out Mob, feel better now =) Same I'm probably about 90-95.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 AM
trackjunkie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mobonic
TrackJunkie,

Im not discrediting your statement of:
"I remember my instructors telling me I should be flatout through turn 9 exiting at ~135-150mph and entering turn 1 at 110mph."

but I'll give you some facts:

1. James Sofronas is the driver in the video. He is a PRO driver and winner of 2 World Challenge races in a 997 GT3 Cup car, and I believe 2nd place overall.

2. The fastest time in recent memory for a closed wheel car at willow is: 1:18 in a 1000 HP NSX (Billy Johnson was the driver, 26ish in age), and I belive his exit speed at 9 was about 110-120 mph max.

3. I have seen James do 1:20's in his cup car all day, with an estimated exit speed of turn 9 at around 115 mph. (Estimated guess from talking with his engineers in the pits).

If YOU or your instructor can exit turn 9 at 135-150 mph, you must be in one hell of a fast and grippy car (maybe an open wheel car???) and have ***** of titanium!

I exit turn 9 at 90-100 mph and I'm at my comfort limit (green wall is just smiling at me).

I would love to see some data/video of anyone coming out of turn 9 at 135+ mph.....

FYI

Here is Billy Johnson's lap record lap, mention above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCX7tSASH1s
It was awhile ago, but I was afraid to go over 105 around that turn and my instructor told me I could easily go 130mph. He later drove my car around that turn and was exiting at 115, and we were sideways. E36 m3 for reference, bilstein gruppe n, street tires.

I asked the top guys who were running the race class and they told me they were flatout exiting turn 8 all the way threw turn 9. I saw a blue porsche 1967 tailout around turn 9 and he said he was at 130+. It was an insane race. 3.0 2800lbs 300hp just barely makes it past a s/c Z06 with 780whp

Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by trackjunkie
It was awhile ago, but I was afraid to go over 105 around that turn and my instructor told me I could easily go 130mph. He later drove my car around that turn and was exiting at 115, and we were sideways. E36 m3 for reference, bilstein gruppe n, street tires.

I asked the top guys who were running the race class and they told me they were flatout exiting turn 8 all the way threw turn 9. I saw a blue porsche 1967 tailout around turn 9 and he said he was at 130+. It was an insane race. 3.0 2800lbs 300hp just barely makes it past a s/c Z06 with 780whp

The apex of turn 9 is a decresing radius turn, to be clear, the blue porsche pictured shows it to be a class V4 in POC. The POC lap record for a V4 car is around 1:29+. There is NO way a V4 car with a club driver or insturctor is 130 through turn 9 at WSIR. More likely it will hit terminal velocity of 130 in turn 8 before braking for 9. Look at Sofronas speed in 9, it's 91 mph and he's a pro driver!
I've have had the radar gun on many cars at WSIR. Getting out of 9 at 90 or above is the exception but necessary if your going to have a 1:30 lap or better. I've seen formula Mazda's and Radicals above 115 but their dedicated track cars.
BTW, I've raced at WSIR for 23 years and seen many hot shoes run there. So my opinion is first hand not second.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
130 through turn 9? I'm having a hard time believing that.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 PM
rideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to all
The car sounds bad ***.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 AM
trackjunkie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JJayB
The apex of turn 9 is a decresing radius turn, to be clear, the blue porsche pictured shows it to be a class V4 in POC. The POC lap record for a V4 car is around 1:29+. There is NO way a V4 car with a club driver or insturctor is 130 through turn 9 at WSIR. More likely it will hit terminal velocity of 130 in turn 8 before braking for 9. Look at Sofronas speed in 9, it's 91 mph and he's a pro driver!
I've have had the radar gun on many cars at WSIR. Getting out of 9 at 90 or above is the exception but necessary if your going to have a 1:30 lap or better. I've seen formula Mazda's and Radicals above 115 but their dedicated track cars.
BTW, I've raced at WSIR for 23 years and seen many hot shoes run there. So my opinion is first hand not second.
I must've misunderstood the entering/exiting speeds when at the track it was my first time. I just remember sitting in my car with the instructor and sliding towards the green wall at 115mph. With the instructor driving.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor
James@gmgracing is infamous around these parts
Just a few thoughts....
1) When we run 1:19's on slicks in the 2850lb. Cup car with me in it, we are exiting turn 9 approx 118mph and terminate around 152mph. This is with a fairly high amount of downforce with the aero setup on the car.
2) We are flat through turn 8 but certainly not turn 9.
3) Turn 9 requires a quick, hard stab at the brakes and then right back to throttle to transfer weight and increase rear grib while exiting turn 9.
4) Lighter cars with slicks could probably go through turn 9 quicker, but not by much unless they are a winged, open wheel car but my understanding is that we are all comparing sports cars.
5) Jose' car was run on full tread Toyos, not the most predictable tire set up for this purpose but the car pulled strong. It's needs more time to tune the chassis as adjustable shocks would really help here.
6) And when Jose asked me to drive his car, I try to bring it home in one piece, respecting the owner........so I only did 4 laps or so.
7) Instructors come in all shapes and sizes, make sure you spend time with more than one because they can all have their own opinions.