Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Porsche Lagune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Smile Porsche Lagune 3/4

Great turn out by fellow Porsche members at the recent Trackmaster Laguna Seca event 3/4 - 3/5. It was nice meeting everyone form North to South and even Mike all the way from Hawaii with his blue 997.2 GT3!
Mooty was nice enough to show up even though he did not have a car. Gave great instruction while ridding shot gun with me. He had an organic power in-car microphone and it was LOUD

Track was pretty wet in the morning and I only attended 3/4 event. Other will fill in on 3/5. 80shilling was super fast as usual but I am disappointed he did not offer a case of his famous beer for everyone lol

I only got 1 hour of sleep the night before - it's a tradition staying up late getting the last bit of car stuff ready. Big thanks to Alex and James from Sharkwerks for meeting me late Wednesday night in the pouring rain so I can take emergency delivery of Pagid P50 pads for PCCB. Fantastic customer service as usual!

Many did not pass sound even with stock exhaust and there was a mad dash to Home Depot for diversion pipes. My in-car toggle switch work like a charm and the quick 3.2 seconds vacuum cap did it's job on both .1 and .2 GT3.

Here are some video and pictures. It will be my last track event until late summer. I will be having some ortho surgery to fix couple sports related injury. Sucks to be old lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqDqwfTUFfs

Porsche from all generations

This one is going back to Hawaii with Mike!

Mom and Dad!! lol

Renntrack crew from down South

80shilling's flying GT2. Love your 18" OZ!! I am going to get a set soon

More shoe fetish ...

Brave grass root effort to defeat the dreaded 92 db sound limit lol

Last edited by mikymu; 03-06-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Edwin814 is infamous around these parts
wish i could've been there. i think i need someone like mooty to ride shot gun with me to improve my time.

question for mooty...so you didn't want mike to double apex on turn 2?

Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edwin814
wish i could've been there. i think i need someone like mooty to ride shot gun with me to improve my time.

I can yell at you like Mooty if you like

Mooty is a great instructor and I learn alot. My biggest problem is not tracking out to protect my car but that actually make it more dangerous because you will tend to push the car with the front wheels turned. I just need to take a good dose of anti-fear pill before next event

Mooty mentioned double apex is for racing to protect your line. Car feel more stable taking single wide apex but I like double better.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Mike.. Great to see you there and was impressed by your new best Lap Time at Laguna, especially given the cold greasy track conditions.. Nice time Man.

Thanks for posting the pictures.. pity you couldn't stay for Friday.... The track got better, but the kerbs and rumble strips were still treacherous..

Sarah turned a 1:47 and I sent her out by herself for the first time.. She was nervous, but kicked ***!!! Fastest in her group and just destroyed the Nissan GTR's and ZO6's that were running with her. I will post video of a spinout right in front of her and the GTR that blocked her for a lap who ran out of talent in turn 6 and put two wheels in the dirt and almost ate it... Pretty impressive for her third track day at Laguna.

Yeah, yeah.. OK.. when you hit a 1:41, I will buy you a case of Scottish Beer....

Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edwin814
1. double is slower than late single apex
2. mike wasn't really double apexing. he was mostly hugging the inside, which i do when i race. to double T2, stay way wide at braking zone and turn to apex 1, then head off into dirt as you are driving off, then turn with slight lift to pivot the car, then shoot for apex 2.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:27 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Mike,

Thanks for the pics and sharing your video.

What is up with your brakes? And, what are you planning to do with them next?

Old 03-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Mike.. Great to see you there and was impressed by your new best Lap Time at Laguna, especially given the cold greasy track conditions.. Nice time Man.

Thanks for posting the pictures.. pity you couldn't stay for Friday.... The track got better, but the kerbs and rumble strips were still treacherous..

Sarah turned a 1:47 and I sent her out by herself for the first time.. She was nervous, but kicked ***!!! Fastest in her group and just destroyed the Nissan GTR's and ZO6's that were running with her. I will post video of a spinout right in front of her and the GTR that blocked her for a lap who ran out of talent in turn 6 and put two wheels in the dirt and almost ate it... Pretty impressive for her third track day at Laguna.

Yeah, yeah.. OK.. when you hit a 1:41, I will buy you a case of Scottish Beer....
Sarah is very talented and helps with an excellent coach like yourself I can't wait to see your video and yes, it was painful having to work Friday and wish I could have been out with you. My PCCB basically dictate that I can only track one day and it will not be safe to do it again the next day. I hear about how GTR is suppose to drive for you but computer can only do so much. Turn 6 can be tricky and i still need alot of work there.

Were you able to better 1:37 Friday? How do you like the more aggressive chamber settings?

I will buy you a case of Chinese Tsingtao beer if I pass 1:40 and we can do a taste comparison with 80shilling

Originally Posted by SKXF430
Mike,

Thanks for the pics and sharing your video.

What is up with your brakes? And, what are you planning to do with them next?
PCCB did not work with my car despite using the most aggressive Porsche Motorsport P50 pads. Braking ability deteriorate with number of laps and was unpredictable after 5-6 laps. Almost felt like the dreaded ICE mode and I have to be super careful coming into turn 11 and 2 as demonstrated on my video. 80shilling has better luck with his PCCB and P50 pads combination and he is 7 seconds faster than me. Will be going back to steel brakes for good

Old 03-06-2010, 11:07 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu
Were you able to better 1:37 Friday? How do you like the more aggressive chamber settings?

I will buy you a case of Chinese Tsingtao beer if I pass 1:40 and we can do a taste comparison with 80shilling
No.. 1:37.8 was my best lap of the two days.. The track just was too slippery and cold.. also, I stayed off the kerbs, since I barely touched the outside kerb going into turn 9 and I had a HUGE drift.. Friday was better, but still cold and there was no grip and the kerbs were still wet.. I'll save the really fast laps for better track conditions...

This is the Video of Sarah driving, then the Orange Porsche loops twice, goes in the dirt, then comes back on track... THEN.. she gets on the tail of the GTR and he won't point her by.. he tried so hard to stay in front that he goes off the track on the exit of turn 6...Video still processing, but now up..... BTW.. you think Mooty gives YOU a hard time.. I never stop talking while I am instructing Sarah in the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu3PZYZX6TQ

If you can get to a 1:40, I'LL buy the beer... Anyone that can get below a 1:40 at Laguna in traffic is really moving, I don't know too many people that have done that in a street car that weighs 3000 lbs+.... From watching your video, I think you can get there.. More track time will help, plus better track conditions are worth another 2, 3, maybe 4 seconds a lap, plus we are ALWAYS running into slower traffic, so getting a clear lap is almost impossible.. If it all comes together, you will do it..

Cheers...

Last edited by 80shilling; 03-06-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
nice videos. good luck w/the operation.

few questions

1. do they not make PFC 01 brake pads for the porsche caliper? those seem to be the ultimate brake pad in the BMW world, im shocked to see you continuing to complain about brake problems and not see them on your car.

2. read that you went to motorsport steel rotors - why did you go back to the PCCB rotors? sorry if i missed it in the opening post

3. have you considered syncing your traqmate data w/your video? i know youre going fast, but would like to see how fast you're going and what your rpms are

Old 03-06-2010, 11:32 PM
hrm
hrm is infamous around these parts
i was there watching.. awesome 2 days!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
I had a great time running with you guys.... 80shill you were quick out there.... im happy with a 1:44 for my first time at the track with my 997S at 3300lbs.

I know next time i may be able to get down to that 1:40 mark with some instruction and brakes that don't fade.... (lost the pedal going into the corkscrew and i though i was going to total the car )

Cant wait to get back to laguna... looks like it might be in August with POC.

Until then im going to drive laguna on my ps3 and admire your you tube videos!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
No.. 1:37.8 was my best lap of the two days.. The track just was too slippery and cold.. also, I stayed off the kerbs, since I barely touched the outside kerb going into turn 9 and I had a HUGE drift.. Friday was better, but still cold and there was no grip and the kerbs were still wet.. I'll save the really fast laps for better track conditions...

This is the Video of Sarah driving, then the Orange Porsche loops twice, goes in the dirt, then comes back on track... THEN.. she gets on the tail of the GTR and he won't point her by.. he tried so hard to stay in front that he goes off the track on the exit of turn 6...Video still processing, but now up..... BTW.. you think Mooty gives YOU a hard time.. I never stop talking while I am instructing Sarah in the video..

If you can get to a 1:40, I'LL buy the beer... Anyone that can get below a 1:40 at Laguna in traffic is really moving, I don't know too many people that have done that in a street car that weighs 3000 lbs+.... From watching your video, I think you can get there.. More track time will help, plus better track conditions are worth another 2, 3, maybe 4 seconds a lap, plus we are ALWAYS running into slower traffic, so getting a clear lap is almost impossible.. If it all comes together, you will do it..

Cheers...
1:38 in the cold and wet condition is mighty fast and gutsy! Your past race experience helps to make it fun instead of OMG all the time .... like me lol

It was painful watching Sarah's video due to the slow traffic. I could never run point by group any more. there are way more incident in the point by group than advance for one reason or another. LOL on your instruction esp when you said "go get them!"

My first priority on a track day is to leave with the car I come with preferably in mint condition without missing fenders or wheels. I:40 or less will be nice but I will take my time. I am working hard on lightening my RS and the next area to be trimmed will be the butt. Lighter exhaust perhaps by 30+ lbs and still pass sound will be a very tall order without paying out of my nose.

Don't know if you watched last season's ALMS event at Laguna Seca. The battle between the GT3 RSR and Corvette at the end was flat out AMAZING!!! These guys are doing 1:25 or faster and the prototype cars are even faster passing GT2 class like they are standing still. I have the whole thing on TiVo and watch it couple time a week for inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3y0tbdpcFc

Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mobonic
I had a great time running with you guys.... 80shill you were quick out there.... im happy with a 1:44 for my first time at the track with my 997S at 3300lbs.

I know next time i may be able to get down to that 1:40 mark with some instruction and brakes that don't fade.... (lost the pedal going into the corkscrew and i though i was going to total the car )

Cant wait to get back to laguna... looks like it might be in August with POC.

Until then im going to drive laguna on my ps3 and admire your you tube videos!
Mobonic.. You were driving the hell outta that 997S.. Very Impressive time a 1:44.

Look forward to seeing you in August.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Mobonic .. Some Video of you...

I found some footage of Mobonic and one of the yellow GT3's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYdeYtsskiQ

Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice vid & pics! I wish I could have been there as well, but I probably wouldn't even pass the noise level test

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Lagune