GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How to Raise Rear of Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
kush is infamous around these parts
How to Raise Rear of Car

Hey guys,

I'm going to be swapping out my rear rotors this week and am unsure how to get a set of jack stands under the rear jack points. Where do I jack up the car so that it leaves the jack points free to place the stands under?

Pics would be a huge help if available.

Thanks,
Kush

Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Grant is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kush
Hey guys,

I'm going to be swapping out my rear rotors this week and am unsure how to get a set of jack stands under the rear jack points. Where do I jack up the car so that it leaves the jack points free to place the stands under?

Pics would be a huge help if available.

Thanks,
Kush
You can raise the rear of the car by lifting the engine on the centerline of the case. Use a hockey puck to prevent scratches and don't forget to remove the undertray first.

It might be helpful to drive the rear tires up on wooden boards to give additional room to access the undertray fasteners and get the jack under the motor.

Last edited by Grant; 03-22-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
GTEE3 is infamous around these parts
if you have a GT3, there is a special bracket in the center, just to the rear of the sway bar.
it is a plated bracket that points down.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to sound condescending, but if you don’t know how to properly lift your car, you probably shouldn’t be working on it. You might end up jacking it up in the bad kind of way.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I would be cautious in just jacking up the rear. 4 point jacking would be much more safe. The following is a link to the method I use. Granted, it's on a 996, but the jacking procedure is the same. I don't use the 2x4's (and you may not need them either) because my jack clears without them:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...p-a-p-car.html (scroll down to about mid page for the photos and explanation)

Hope this helps!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
You can jack the rear from the cross member mentioned near the sway bar. You will need to drive the rear onto a low ramp or 2x10 or something to gain clearance for the jack. And the engine case will work also. You can also jack up each rear corner at the jack point, then place a jack stand at the cross piece to which the lower control arm attaches, near the junction of the two. But frankly, since you will not need to be under the car, you can just work with a jack at each corner. If you need to get inside the wheel well to locate anything, then for safety, you should place a jack stand at the cross member mentioned near the LCA attaching point.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by 19000rpm

Sorry to sound condescending, but if you don’t know how to properly lift your car, you probably shouldn’t be working on it. You might end up jacking it up in the bad kind of way.
So when I jack up the car, should I just hold it up while I remove the jack in order to slip the jack stand under the jack point? Thanks anyhow.

Thanks to others for actually helpful replys.

Last edited by kush; 03-22-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down

jack the front from the front jack point, then put the jacksand on the rear jackpoint, then go to the otherside and do the same, just be careful.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry for giving you the instructions directly from a Porsche service manual. I guess Porsche trained technicians must be a lot stronger then you. If you can afford a gt3 you can afford to have someone work on it since you obviously haven’t ever worked on a car before. Don’t forget righty tighty lefty loosey. That’s how you work a bolt!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 PM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
Sorry for giving you the instructions directly from a Porsche service manual. I guess Porsche trained technicians must be a lot stronger then you. If you can afford a gt3 you can afford to have someone work on it since you obviously haven’t ever worked on a car before. Don’t forget righty tighty lefty loosey. That’s how you work a bolt!
I think the OP's point is, the service manual does not address his need. While experienced Porsche techs will usually offer the factory warning regarding alternate jack points, they will also readily admit, other procedures are necessary if working without benefit of a lift. And, they are used routinely without issue. But, like most things, it's something that needs to be done correctly, or the usual problems, such as damage/injury/death can result. To the OP, drop by the dealer or other reputable Porsche shop, any good tech can show you these lift points in five minutes.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Read the original post and you'll see I wasn't asking where the jack points are. Since you can afford a GT3 you should be able to figure out its bit difficult to place a jack stand on the jack point when its being used by the jack to raise the car in order to place a jack stand under it. Maybe you could also direct me to the page in the manual as to where the throttle is. That would be just as helpful.

I guess the ability to afford a GT3 is no proxy for mechanical ability nor the ability for two objects to occupy the same space simultaneously.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
I just don’t understand the logic here. Lifting a car properly is the 2+2 of the mechanical realm. If you cant answer that problem, and your asking for algebra, your asking for trouble. The best advice here was not to try it. Brakes are kind of important, as is safety when lifting and working on a car. While I realize everyone has to start somewhere, don’t do it on your gt3.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by kush
Read the original post and you'll see I wasn't asking where the jack points are. Since you can afford a GT3 you should be able to figure out its bit difficult to place a jack stand on the jack point when its being used by the jack to raise the car in order to place a jack stand under it. Maybe you could also direct me to the page in the manual as to where the throttle is. That would be just as helpful.

I guess the ability to afford a GT3 is no proxy for mechanical ability nor the ability for two objects to occupy the same space simultaneously.
Wow I guess I must have gotten to you a bit since its getting so personal and all.

The answer is 4 incase that was getting to you to.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
I just don’t understand the logic here. Lifting a car properly is the 2+2 of the mechanical realm. If you cant answer that problem, and your asking for algebra, your asking for trouble. The best advice here was not to try it. Brakes are kind of important, as is safety when lifting and working on a car. While I realize everyone has to start somewhere, don’t do it on your gt3.
Read slowly. Maybe, like everyone else who replied, you might understand my original question.

As it's now been answered by the more astute, I'll let you have the final word. Have a good night.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 PM
58spdstr has a spectacular aura about58spdstr has a spectacular aura about
check out this post. It has a good picture, about three in, that shows the jack under the engine. This will allow you to put thte jack stands on each side. I also chock the front wheels when both rears are off the ground.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...my-engine.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to Raise Rear of Car