Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Clutch Bleed with Motive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
Clutch Bleed with Motive

Bought a Motive Bleeder and did the brakes. Works great. I would like to know the proper sequence to bleeding the clutch using my Motive. I did a search but came up empty. Appreciate any comments from those who have used the Motive to complete the clutch bleed.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
pfan12000 is infamous around these partspfan12000 is infamous around these parts
The clutch in a 993 and 964 shared the same fluid reservoir as the brake fluid reservoir. However, the slave cylinder of the clutch above the G50 gearbox is the bleed nipple location. 7 mm wrench opens the valve , and one has to manually push and pull the clutch pedal in the driver side front pedal cluster to move the fluid through the lines. The Motive being connected under pressure helps refill the clutch side of the reservoir. I would imagine the 996 and 997's are similar in function.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned the vehicle I was working on in my original post. It is my 04 GT3. I did use the Motive on my Boxster and was told to have someone hold clutch pedal to the floor, pump the Motive up and open the valve on the slave. I did this and not a lot of fluid passed. I closed the bleeder valve and pulled the clutch pedal back up and opened the valve again and that seemed to pass more fluid. I didn't care to pump pedal thinking with the Motive that wouldn't be necessary. Anyone else have experience with this?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
I use the motive as a push tank. No fluid added.
10psi... air only with a full reservoir. No pedal push. You'd cover the return port if you push the pedal.
Open slave bleeder with some clear hose to monitor air. No more bubbles, you're done.
Don't let the reservoir go dry.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by jjbravo
I use the motive as a push tank. No fluid added.
10psi... air only with a full reservoir. No pedal push. You'd cover the return port if you push the pedal.
Open slave bleeder with some clear hose to monitor air. No more bubbles, you're done.
Don't let the reservoir go dry.
That would explain why very little fluid would pass when pedal was held to the floor. Thanks for the advise.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:19 PM
pfan12000 is infamous around these partspfan12000 is infamous around these parts
I always use the Motive filled with at least 1 Liter of fluid and check the level in the reservoir each time I move to a new bleed valve. Using air pressure alone runs risk of getting air into the lines and then must start all over again. Each flush I use up 2-3 1/2L of expensive Motul 600.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Porsche recommends bleeding 996/997 clutch with pedal depressed (block down with a piece of wood or something after depressing). Due to design and orientation of master or operating cylinder, some old fluid and air can remain trapped there if pedal is not depressed. Depressing pedal fully while flushing moves piston full travel in the master cylinder evacuating both fluid and any trapped air as fully as possible from the cylinder into the line leading to the slave cylinder on the tranmission, allowing you to bleed the air from the system. Usually not a big issue, but if you have gotten air into the master cylinder by changing components or by allowing resevoir to get low while bleeding, this allows you to clear the air from master cylinder.

Renntech has more detailed steps under 996 DIY maintenance.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by obsessed
Porsche recommends bleeding 996/997 clutch with pedal depressed (block down with a piece of wood or something after depressing). Due to design and orientation of master or operating cylinder, some old fluid and air can remain trapped there if pedal is not depressed. Depressing pedal fully while flushing moves piston full travel in the master cylinder evacuating both fluid and any trapped air as fully as possible from the cylinder into the line leading to the slave cylinder on the tranmission, allowing you to bleed the air from the system. Usually not a big issue, but if you have gotten air into the master cylinder by changing components or by allowing resevoir to get low while bleeding, this allows you to clear the air from master cylinder.

Great explanation. Thanks to all that replied.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by obsessed

Nicely explained.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 PM
ninerguru is infamous around these parts
Does any one know if the 04 GT3 brake reservoir has a overfill tube? In the earlier cars, the overfill tube needed to be capped while using the Motive bleeder, otherwise, the fluid would exit the reservoir once the unit was pressurized. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:36 PM
matrog is infamous around these parts
I'd recommend not putting any fluid in the Motive jug or you risk the fluid spraying out around the cap (and trashing any paint in reach). Do as 4th post above states and keep refilling the reservoir only.