Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Did I Glaze My Pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 AM
kush is infamous around these parts
Did I Glaze My Pads?

I converted my PCCB rotors to Stoptech DRK. For the street I put in Porterfield r4s and bedded everything in according to Stoptech's suggestions.

Pedal feel is very hard, yet I don't seem to have great initial bite and it requires a good amount of pressure to get the car to brake hard. Almost feels like it's slipping.

Is this something to get used to as the new brake combination is obviously very different from what I'm used to, will it improve, or does it sound like maybe I've glazed the pads? I've never seen a pad glazed before. What would it look like if this is the case?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
For street use I did not like the OEM (yellow) pads in my GT3 as I prefer cleaner wheels so I installed the Porterfield R4S pads. My experience has been the same as yours. I have about 1500 miles on these pads so I don't think they will improve. They are cleaner than the OEM but seem to require more pedal pressure to get the proper result. Even though they are a street pad they seem to require warming up to get better braking performance. I have Mintex Red Box pads for the street in my Boxster S and they seem to provide much better initial braking than the R4S pads.

Last edited by Wayne K; 04-08-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks Wayne. That's both helpful and a little reassuring.

Anybody else have experience with these pads?

Old 04-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kush
Anybody else have experience with these pads?

YES! they SUCK! I put the R4S on my Viper just becase it is a low dust pad. Big mistake! I took them off 3 days later and put my stock Brembo pads back on. Its the pads, they suck! its because they are worse then the pads you came from. My Viper honestly felt scary to stop, like i had get on the brakes so hard to come to a stop sign. Take the pads out and try something else. On the other hand, the Porterfield R4 race pads are EXCELLENT! but they are not meant to be used on the street.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks Benz. Think I'm going to have to find a new pad. What a waste of money, but it just takes a huge amount of enjoyment out of driving the car. Any suggestions for a better street pad?

Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Wayne K is infamous around these parts
If I recall there were not many choices for low dusting street performance pads for the GT3. I went with the recommendation of members from this board to go with the R4S pads. They are clean and quiet. Its not that they don't stop the car they just require more pedal.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tion-info.html

Last edited by Wayne K; 04-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:25 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Thanks Benz. Think I'm going to have to find a new pad. What a waste of money, but it just takes a huge amount of enjoyment out of driving the car. Any suggestions for a better street pad?

Thanks again.
I said the same thing, what a waste of money, but you can sell them, as you see, even though they do not brake as good, people somehow still don't mind. So you have the yellow PCCB calipers still on the car right?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz
I said the same thing, what a waste of money, but you can sell them, as you see, even though they do not brake as good, people somehow still don't mind. So you have the yellow PCCB calipers still on the car right?
Yes. Yellow calipers w/ iron rotors.

I started reading about guys wearing through the ceramic rotors on the track (I know some dispute this) and knowing I'd never replace them with ceramics again, I figured I'd put them in a box and use the car as I intend to use it. I figured if I ran through the ceramics it might make my car harder to sell with iron rotors. I'm having second thoughts now and thinking after I blow through these rotors to put the ceramics back on, run the P50 (motorsport) pads, and if I wear them out, then so be it. At least I was the one to enjoy them. How much of a hit would I take selling the car with iron rotors down the road? Who knows?

Selling the r4s seems more trouble than it's worth, but I'll never go near them again. That's for sure. What did you end up with for street pads?

Last edited by kush; 04-12-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Yes. Yellow calipers w/ iron rotors.

I started reading about guys wearing through the ceramic rotors on the track (I know some dispute this) and knowing I'd never replace them with ceramics again, I figured I'd put them in a box and use the car as I intend to use it. I figured if I ran through the ceramics it might make my car harder to sell with iron rotors. I'm having second thoughts now and thinking after I blow through these rotors to put the ceramics back on, run the P50 (motorsport) pads, and if I wear them out, then so be it. At least I was the one to enjoy them. How much of a hit would I take selling the car with iron rotors down the road? Who knows?

Selling the r4s seems more trouble than it's worth, but I'll never go near them again. That's for sure. What did you end up with for street pads?
I agree, I honestly would say screw the 2nd guy or resale, and just use the ceramic rotors for your own use. A lot of people do change them, but I wouldn't. You possibly will never need to replace them anyway. There are so few choices of pads out there for the PCCB calipers it seems, what a shame. Again, when I used the crappy RS4's, It was on my Viper, so totally different, but I wound up putting the stock pads back on for the street and in the end, it was perfect besides the dust.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I appreciate it.

Enjoy the season.