Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New Product Announcement: A Short Ring and Pinion for GT2/GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:17 AM
HaroldCGT is infamous around these parts
From firsthand experience, I can honestly say Guard products are the best! They also supply Porsche Motorsport. Nuff said.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the kind words Harold. It's always appreciated.

These left the factory today, so I should have them in my grubby little hands within the week. I'll post pictures as soon as they arrive and put up a special offer sale in the classifieds at the same time.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Hello,
I am terribly sorry on the delay on this stuff. It got stuck in customs and was a bloody nightmare to get this stuff into our facility. But it's here now. These are on the shelf and ready for delivery. As soon as I get the customs invoice I'll be able to price them out and put up a thread in the classifieds. In the meantime enjoy the eye candy...

Hollow shaft with gun drilled oiling

Old 06-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
Hi matt, your product certainly looks to have great quality and knowledge behind it, I've been considering doing this sort of upgrade to my 997 GT3 (80% track use) for some time now (I want to possible do it this summer), I have a few questions tough:
-How much more wear in the gear box will produce moving from 3.44 to 4.125? How much shorter life or service cycle can be predicted?
-Isn't going for 4.125 (shorter than 4.00 Cup's Car...) pushing to much the gear box, and other components downstream? any possible overheating?
-Why the 997.2 with a taller R&P of 3.89 produces almost the same speeds on each gear as the 4.125, is this related to its torque and HP increase?, if so then a 997.1 GT3 with your 4.125 R&P will produce basically the same acceleration than a new 997.2 (given similar conditions like car weight, tires...)
regards,

Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Former Vendor
Hello Gus,

I would only be guessing here, but I would say that changing the R/P ratio like this will accelerate wear somewhere in the neighborhood of 20%. Though I don't think this at all is "pushing the gearbox too much". Porsche made a 5.00 R/P set for these gearboxes. We haven't gone even close to that short with it.

The reason that the 997.2 RS with 3.89 has comparible speeds and RPM drops to a 996 GT3 when using our 4.125 R/P set is because of the individual gear ratios themselves. If you look at the charts posted earlier in the thread you'll see that the gearing is a bit different between the two boxes, in addition to the final drive ratios being different.

However, if you put this R/P into a 997.1 or a non-RS I would expect your car to probably accelerate more quickly than the RS. It would be shorter in every gear position, including 6th, which is already a shorter gear than the RS uses, and the only gear of the stack that is actually a different ratio.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
this mod is really a must for track oriented cars!! also a good value, Matt I'm sorry, but I'm not the most technical guy around, but I wonder what is better in the long run, this solution or redo the gear box with your 2 piece main shaft and changing the gears 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and moving the stock 5th to 6th, mating this to a 4.00 R/P (yeah this must be really expensive!! but what about long term life of the parts and overall performance?

I'll shoot you a pm for prices ( I want to fix my car LSD at the same time), I'll need recommendations on a local shop also.
regards,
gf.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Matt - you guys produce some seriously beautiful products. Keep up the great work!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Gus F
this mod is really a must for track oriented cars!! also a good value, Matt I'm sorry, but I'm not the most technical guy around, but I wonder what is better in the long run, this solution or redo the gear box with your 2 piece main shaft and changing the gears 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and moving the stock 5th to 6th, mating this to a 4.00 R/P (yeah this must be really expensive!! but what about long term life of the parts and overall performance?

I'll shoot you a pm for prices ( I want to fix my car LSD at the same time), I'll need recommendations on a local shop also.
regards,
gf.
Now you're talking about building a Cup Car gearbox. The factory Cup Cars run a 4.00 R/P (or 5.00) with a 3.154 1st gear and then stack the rest of them according to where they run.

When someone buys a Cup Car they actually get this little sheet of suggested ratios for pretty much every major racetrack in the world. Those are the ratios that Porsche homologates with the FIA and other sanctioning bodies and each team carries around a stack of gears for changing things up every weekend as they hit a different venue.

We can put together something for you that will suit the majority of where you run the car. There's always compromises when you run just a single box, but it's how the majority of club racers and weekenders do it because not many of us have a $25,000 gear budget and a gearbox mechanic in tow (or Copans on site) like a pro-team does.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor
Old 07-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Tim Kay is infamous around these parts
Comments are made that changing the standard .1 997 3.44 to a 4.125 R&P reduces wear life.

Anyone experience the actual distance in miles or time in hours one could expect replacement of the taller R&P? (just general "in the ball park" understanding various conditions can play a role one way or the other)

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Former Vendor
I personally won't speculate on a percentage or hour difference. What I can tell you is that we've got a dozen of them in the field without a single complaint or issue. PJS996GT3 got the first one and has actually had his gearbox apart for another issue and may be able to provide some pictures of the wear and pattern. I didn't save them when he sent them to me, but after the better part of a season of use, it showed next to no wear.

We are currently in the middle of production of round 2 of these units. Also because of demand from ALMS teams and others who are required to run homologated ratios and sealed gearboxes, we decided to also do a run of the more traditional 4.00 variant. Rules wouldn't allow many who wanted to run our 4.125 in their cars, so the solution was to make them the right part for the application.

Unfortunately, exchange rates on the world market have swung against the dollar since the first run of these, so they will be going up $100-200 when we get them in. But for the quality of the part you get we don't expect it to be an issue selling them.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:18 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
I did not save the wear pattern pics but rest assured it is not an issue

I had a 996-3 with stock gears and a 4.0 that I did about 10k miles on before I sold the car and more than half of those were track miles

On my 997.1 RS, I did guard diff, 2 piece main shaft, 8:33 ring and pinion, and 1-4th gears... Wear is not an issue at all with roughly 3000 track miles.

Having done what I have done I would likely opt for a re gear over just a ring and pinion but the full monty is very good

If your car is 80% track - a re gear (via r&p or gears or both) is well worth it.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 AM
jouzef is infamous around these parts
nice brif.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor
Hello,

I figured I would bump this and let you know that the 4.00 versions is now available for people running in homologated classes. However, PMNA has made ALL of our products illegal for use in ALMS sealed gearboxes.

We also got a new run of 4.125 versions as well. This will also be the standard offering in our soon to be released GT3 sequential conversion gearbox. Watch for it at the show at Cologne and PRI in Orlando in the next few months.

Lastly, with respect to wear, just today a customer picked up some of our sequential gears for a 2005 RSR he was rebuilding. It has one of our 4.125 R/P sets in it. It was installed about a year ago and the builder said it looked good and was going right back in the box with the new gearsets.

Regards,

Matt

Old 09-30-2011, 12:18 PM
OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !
Very nice. What's the top of first gear with the R&P?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Product Announcement: A Short Ring and Pinion for GT2/GT3