Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2
View Poll Results: Preferred 2010+ GT3 seat option?
Standard sport seats
4.26%
Adaptive sport seats with memory
14.89%
Sport Buckets
80.85%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Which 2011 GT3 seat option to order?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:09 PM
masmole is infamous around these parts
Which 2011 GT3 seat option to order?

Hi all! Noob here just waiting on a 2011 allocation for a standard GT3.

Settled on aqua blue (I think) and all other options but didn't expect to have trouble deciding which seats to get. I almost wish Porsche didn't offer me a choice lol! But now I have 3 to choose from!

Anyhow, here's my criteria...

1) Must be reasonably comfortable for some fair weather daily driving duties in the rough roads of metropolitan Chicago.

2) I'm 5'9 and usually set the seat at the lowest setting on my cars, but my gf (who will occasionally drive it, and perhaps even track it with me) will need the seat raised as high as possible because she barely clears 5 feet. Is one seat option more accommodating to height positioning over the others?

3) I attend around 4-5 DE events a year. Not a lot of tracking but the seats must accommodate harness, possibly with sub bar attachment. I know they will all probably do this adequately but I don't want to make too much compromises or resort to more involved seat modification.

I know that I should go out and try at the dealer but frankly, there's none to be found on dealer lots at the moment.

While I'm at it, let's make this a poll? Preferred 2010+ GT3 seat option.

Last edited by masmole; 05-04-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:37 PM
rwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to beholdrwgrif is a splendid one to behold
I have the sport buckets in a 2010 and unless I'm mistaken, they are the ONLY ones that will work with a harness.

BTW, I love'em and they work well at the track. Wifey hates them because they don't recline....Oh, well.....

Old 05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
sws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of light
If you like the seats low, and she likes them high, well then sport buckets are out. They are fixed height. And fixed back.

Also, the only ones that support a harness are the sport buckets. You can't use a harness with the others.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
euro_king is infamous around these parts
sport bucket because they looks so nice and properly on the car IMO

Old 05-04-2010, 02:07 PM
ZED06 is infamous around these parts
Seat Options

I ordered the sport buckets and really like them. Some features plus and minus depending on your personal preferences are as follows:
1) the seat backs do not recline. This doesn't bother me at all because the driving position is perfect.
2) the side bolsters are quite pronounced and rigid (as they should be). This makes getting out of the car more difficult than it is with other seat types. The side bolsters are not adjustable so fat asses will have a tight squeeze. Again, does not bother me at all but it may be an annoyance for some.
3) the backs fold forward which gives easy access to area behind the seats.
4) the seats are only available with manual adjust forwards and back. The manual adjust lever is easy to reach when seated and the seats slide easily.
5) the steering wheel is manual adjust, up/down and in/out so coupled with seat adjust it is quick and easy to get comfortable for both track and street.
6) room for helmet. I am 6'-0" and still have headroom to spare above when wearing helmet.
7) the seats are designed for pass through shoulder harness. If you order the Sound Package Plus, it will limit the type of harness bar you can use (assuming you are not installing a roll cage) because the side speakers behind the B pillar will interfere with the mounting. Not a problem because other mounting methods are available. Just something to be aware of if having a pass through harness is a priority.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by sws1
If you like the seats low, and she likes them high, well then sport buckets are out. They are fixed height. And fixed back.

Also, the only ones that support a harness are the sport buckets. You can't use a harness with the others.
Crap. I was afraid someone was going to say that. Didn't know they were fixed height. I guess GT3s aren't for short people like my gf. I really wanted the sport buckets too.

Any chance the sport buckets at their fixed height will still accommodate a short 5' tall driver like my gf? (as in being able to see over the dash and drive safely) Again, none at local dealers to try.

Last edited by masmole; 05-04-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
While seems the sport bucket seat is the vote, please do try to go to your dealer and try to sit in one before placing your order. As folks say, the sport bucket seat has very minimum adjustment, and may not fit everyone's body shape or preference.

Regards,

Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Boxer6Fan is infamous around these parts
You would think with the 3 seat choices Porsche dealers would have all 3 in the showroom so customers can decide. Its not like they are only for certain models. You can get them in all cars. Silly germans.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
rost12 is infamous around these parts
I'm 6 feet and chubby and for me the buckets were pretty damn spot-on seating position wise. I still went with sports seats mainly due to daily usability. I don't plan to ever need a harness, though.

On the other hand, if the bottom cushion of the buckets can be made thicker (more padding), that could solve your height issue. I'll try to find out if the GT3 buckets have removable cushions, I sat in them but didn't pay attention. If not, you could get some sparco/recaro seats, I know my Sparcos have removable bottom cushions and you could potentially stuff em with some extra padding.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 PM
FLM911 is infamous around these parts
Sport buckets - excellent all round and your only option from porsche for harness use. As to the gf, she has to go. No height adjustment possible so you will need a taller model.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:57 PM
syosh is infamous around these parts
I know I'm in the minority here but as a short person myself, I plan to go with the adaptive sport seats with memory when I spec my gt3. I use the memory feature all the time on my c2s: button #1 for driving (close enough to reach the clutch) and button #3 for exit (pushes the seat back) to get out of the car when I can't open the door all the way. You can also link your key to go back to position #1 when you disarm the alarm.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
I am 5' 8" and my wife is very short...just under 5'. With that said I had the sport bucket seats and I liked them. A bit of a pain in the *** for everyday but definitely the right move for track work. I could live with them but my wife HATED them. I got rid of the car because of it. Adaptive Sport Seats are so comfortable and offer the best of both worlds. I had to put a folded blanket in my bucket seats for my wife to see over the dashboard or she got sick in the car!
Hope that helps.
You could always get adaptive sport seats and get a race seat for the track days that you want or permanently swap out your side only for a track seat.
Just my ideas.
D

Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
sws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rost12
I'm 6 feet and chubby and for me the buckets were pretty damn spot-on seating position wise. I still went with sports seats mainly due to daily usability. I don't plan to ever need a harness, though.

On the other hand, if the bottom cushion of the buckets can be made thicker (more padding), that could solve your height issue. I'll try to find out if the GT3 buckets have removable cushions, I sat in them but didn't pay attention. If not, you could get some sparco/recaro seats, I know my Sparcos have removable bottom cushions and you could potentially stuff em with some extra padding.

Sport buckets DO have removable cushions. Held on with velcro. I play to actually get a second set so I can sit a bit lower on the track. The stock cushions are VERY thick. Figure I can get 3/4" by using thinner pads. (Maybe even get them in a custom checkered-flag motif. )

Old 05-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks everyone! This is all very good information that you don't get from the dealer.

I'm going with the buckets. If the cushions are velcro, I can always have an upholstery shop custom make a taller one that will function like a "booster seat" for the gf if she really wants to drive it at the track lol!