Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New to Forum. New to Porsche- making the move ///M...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
///M*Hershey is infamous around these parts///M*Hershey is infamous around these parts
New to Forum. New to Porsche- making the move ///M...

Hello everyone! I couldn't find a "member intro" thread so if this is in the wrong place...(mods please move to appropriate section)...

Anyways, I've been a "///M" guy in the past but now I 'm thinking about making a move to Porsche- call it getting older I guess? Currently in the stable is an E46 M3 and the wife's E60 m5. Love both cars but from what I hear, my move to Porsche is a common one for many after the ///M's??

I'm just getting acquainted with all this Porsche info but I'm divided between going with either an 997 Turbo or 997 GT3. I'm doing the research now and happened to visit a dealer and looked at both cars. There was an '07 GT3 with 7XXX miles & a '07 997 Turbo with 17,XXX miles. Price for both cars were not a big difference but the GT3 was higher by bit. The GT3 caught my eye...& I asked the salesman about it. Immediately he steered me away from the GT3 and towards the Turbo.

Here's where I began to get confused- the salesman literally talked down of the GT3. He swore up and down I would not like the drive as it is much harsher. Ride quality/issue is not a big concern for me but once he mentioned "Your wife might not tolerate it", I thought he might be right. I didn't test drive both cars to compare since I was on a break from work and I wanted my wife to be present during the test drive. We currently have an appointment this Friday night to test drive both cars.

Here's where I need you seasoned Porsche enthusiasts' or current Porsche Gt3 or Turbo owner's opinions or help...

I'm diving into Porsche and want to step up to either the 997 Turbo or the 997 GT3 . Opinions on either car (pro or con) is much appreciated! ANY advice such as maintenance, known issues or problems on these cars is also appreciated!

I hope to meet/see some of you all in future on any meet-ups as I am looking forward to those!

THANKS in advance!

H

Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
If you've always previously been an ///M guy, then that means you've always loved naturally aspirated, high revving engines.

So unless you are a fan of the crappy new direction ///M has taken...aka....turbocharging, there is no choice except for the GT3.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:49 PM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
Your gonna choose the GT3 hands Down

Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 PM
ooowowizstev is infamous around these parts
GT3 for sure.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM
///M*Hershey is infamous around these parts///M*Hershey is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ZBOSS
Your gonna choose the GT3 hands Down

LOL. But why?

lol. funny- because I posted in the 997 Turbo section & the Turbo guys all mentioned for me to lean towards the 997 Turbo for the softer ride, more powerful motor, an all around better car to drive often and the option for small children to ride in the rear seats.

The negative I was advised to the GT3 was due to its lack of rear seat availability/option, harsher ride (not preferable on long trips), "weaker" motor and the louder interior cabin...

Well, I have no kids. The car will only be a weekend car. A "loud" interior cabin doesn't bother me much. I'm sure a factory Porsche interior, even a GT3's interior, cant be that bad?

I'm so split down the middle now that I wish our test drive appt. was here.
Anyways, thanks for the comments.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
If your new to Porsche I would suggest looking at all models before making a decision.

You will love the Turbo power as it is addictive, however there is some drone which I find tiring over time and my wife cant wait to get out of it. We test drove a new 08 and my wife hatted it.

GT3 is a great car and would like to move up to the .2 model, however GT3s are more harsh and have more noise which I know my wife would not like as well. As for the ride, I personally think it rides better than the regular 911 as it doesn't float and feels more together (battened down) over rough roads.

Don't rule out the Cayman and Boxster line. I went in to buy a turbo and eded up with a Boxster RS60. Very practical and better driving than the turbo.

At this point, I very much want a GT3 as I love the way they drive and the power, but aside from power the mid engine layout is amazing.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Sloopy, I'm glad to hear that your wife was involved in the process of choosing the Porsche! Before I posted- I felt like "Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the wife part."....hahaha

I will mos def take all this into consideration. Btw, I posted a couple pics of our current cars. The M3 is getting booted out of the garage if/when this P-car comes!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 PM
masmole is infamous around these parts
GT3 all the way!!!

If you end up getting the Turbo over the GT3, it'll only because your wife has you by your ***** and wrongfully swayed the decision towards compromise rather than the pure Porsche experience, in my opinion

I'm somewhat of an //M guy myself. We had E30 and E36 M3s in the family when I was younger, and I myself had an E60 M5 and currently an E92 M3. Like you, I'm also in the process of moving to a Porsche. The 911 turbo has been my dream car since I was young and I've drooled over the 993 and 996 models during the recent years when I couldn't afford one. Now that I can, it's somewhat ironic that I've had a change of heart. It only took a few rides at some local track events and test drives at dealers to realize that the Turbo was not the Porsche for me. The GT3 is. It's as "pure" as Porsches get, whatever you want to make of that. Like someone else mentioned on this thread, if you're an //M car guy to begin with, the natural progression is to stick with a rear-drive, high-revving, naturally-aspirated Porsche like the GT3. It sounds better too. The Turbo is fast but it's also heavier, and a bit too sterile and disconnected compared to the GT3. My girlfriend wants me to get the Turbo because it rides better, the engine "sounds smoother" (quieter), has all wheel drive, and it has paddleshifts. LOL. She also doesn't like how heavy the clutch is on the GT3 (comparing it to the light clutch in my RS4). While I appreciate her input, I'm sticking with my heart. I'm going for the GT3.

When you go for that test drive, go with your heart, not your wife's. She already has that posh M5, so you need to go for the full undiluted experience.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 PM
panbo is infamous around these parts
///M guy will choose GT3 over TT

Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
i just came from e92 m3 to 997.2 GT3

I didnt even consider the turbo. Although i have to say if you dont KNOW %100 percent that you want the gt3, you are prob more of a turbo guy. GT3 owners know why they want a gt3. But i guess nothings always a 100 percent so definitely test drive them.

Everyone has different tolerances to sound and ride quality. If its only a weekend car not sure why it would even matter unless you plan on taking long drives with the lady.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
do you plan to go to the track? if so.. GT3
if it is street car only -- drive both and decide...

Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Ask the turbo guys how many came from a GT3, and ask the GT3 guys the same question. I bet no Turbo owners have come from a GT3, where as there are Turbo guys that moved to a GT3.

As for the back seat, my C2S came with them, they are in a box, as I think they are useless and I have young kids.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Just wait 'till you feel the clutch in the turbo. You'll like the GT3 clutch better. I think the GT3 is a more "pure" track type car and the Turbo is a street car. For my money, I'd go with the GT3...such an awesome car.

J

Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///M*Hershey
LOL. But why?

lol. funny- because I posted in the 997 Turbo section & the Turbo guys all mentioned for me to lean towards the 997 Turbo for the softer ride, more powerful motor, an all around better car to drive often and the option for small children to ride in the rear seats.

The negative I was advised to the GT3 was due to its lack of rear seat availability/option, harsher ride (not preferable on long trips), "weaker" motor and the louder interior cabin...

Well, I have no kids. The car will only be a weekend car. A "loud" interior cabin doesn't bother me much. I'm sure a factory Porsche interior, even a GT3's interior, cant be that bad?

I'm so split down the middle now that I wish our test drive appt. was here.
Anyways, thanks for the comments.
You may not have read my posts yet.
Comparing 07 to 07 I would pick the Turbo. In fact I did pick it.
HOWEVER---
If you want street comfort and track the car you will need a normally aspirated car . The 997S PDK might be an option but I would pick the 2010 Gt3 , get a car with the axle lift option, the engine mounts (preferrred but not needed) and if you live in rain climate get a set of PS2 tires for the street . I would consider keeping the M3 too.

BtW --I have a Turbo and a PDK car .
The cost of modding a used Turbo to 700Hp can get 1.5 Gt3's .

My Turbo was the right choice for 2007. I love my car!!!
My PDK car was a great choice for 09 because the discounts were great.

But this is NOW .. and you have no Porsche (yet) .

If you are willing to give up a little comfort --it is the way to go.
It will not beat a Turbo in a straight line .
It will not have the comfort of a PDK 997S .
But it will have the purest platform for the 997 line . will hold its value, and have a lot of exclusivity.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
There is a lot of bias in most of these post which is very understanding, given we are all very passionate about our love for the brand.

Best to stop here and drive them all with an open heart and mind. Don't limit yourself to just the GT3 and the Turbo or even the 911. Try not to let our passions influence your final decisions. If you can do this you are more likely to find a car that you will stick with verses the run through the models that many Porsche owners are known for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to Forum. New to Porsche- making the move ///M...