Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New GT3 + Jeremy Clarkson = LOVE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:44 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
New GT3 + Jeremy Clarkson = LOVE

Clarkson has driven the new GT3 and guess what? He wants one really badly.

`Despite this, I enjoyed the man/machine interface. Unlike lesser 911s, it had no direct injection,
and the gearbox was a standard six-speed manual. It even made proper engine noises, rather
than the tricksy exhaust bellow from, say, an Aston Martin.

As the miles wore on, I started to think that maybe I could live with this car. And then I started
to wonder how it would be possible to not live with it. I was falling in love.

It’s the steering, mainly. It’s beyond fabulous. I know of no car that makes bends such an
undiluted joy. The other day I deliberately drove through Milton Keynes simply because it has
lots of roundabouts.

Then you have the little things: the sat nav that’s so damn easy to use, the enormous range
between fill-ups, the extraordinarily low price for what you get and the speeds that can be
achieved.

And then there’s the shape. As is the way with girlfriends, once you start to like the character,
you begin to see handsomeness even when there is none. At the very least, you have to say
this is the best-looking Porsche, and to judge by the company’s recent efforts, I’m glad the
nincompoops in the design department haven’t tried to change it.

t’s not just the looks that grew on me, either. In the past I’ve always preferred Ferraris
because they are built with passion, not precision. But now, I dunno, I found myself
appreciating the quality of the Porsche. No one ever bought a Ferrari thinking: “That’ll see
me out.” But you could with a 911.

I shall finish with one more observation. In the Eighties, 911s were bought by City boys
who simply wanted a car to show off their wealth. The big Breitling had not been invented
then. This is why, I guess, other road users hate them so much. Because there’s an
assumption the bloody thing is being driven by Fred Goodwin. Or some other sod who’s
paid too much.

But today things have changed. Today 911s are generally driven, I’ve noticed, by grey-haired,
sensible people who need some common sense in their lives but who at the same time
cannot live without the extraordinary feel of that steering. It’s a bug, and I fear I have it too.
I want a GT3.`

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article7118301.ece

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 05-23-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
High praise, from a old pompus A$$

Old 05-23-2010, 04:48 PM
T.K
T.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant futureT.K has a brilliant future
His driving makes me sad. Just awful.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:36 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Clarkson likes a Porsche, the end is near...

Old 05-23-2010, 07:52 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by T.K
His driving makes me sad. Just awful.
HA!!! He did a 1:57 at Laguna Seca on a deserted track and he had an entire day of practice.. in an Acura NSX.. That is SOOOOOOO sad.. I am convinced my Mother at the age of 74 years old could STILL go faster than that..

Old 05-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by sin911
Clarkson likes a Porsche, the end is near...
From the Birds; "ITS THE END OF THE WORLD"

Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 PM
HRTC is infamous around these parts
Has he driven a GT3 or RS on Top Gear yet? I'd like to see that.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered PM
hdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these parts
Nice vid

One of the better Top Gear episodes. Maybe they should have used a regular C2S for the comparison as the GT3 is too much a track weapon for a regular R8.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 AM
WHITE997GT3 is infamous around these parts
Never thought I'd hear those words from Clarkson, I guess a Porsche 911 is not a jumped up VW Beetle anymore...

Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 AM
HRTC is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the videos. Has Top Gear done a review on the 997.2 GT3/RS??

Old 06-04-2010, 04:04 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WHITE997GT3
Never thought I'd hear those words from Clarkson, I guess a Porsche 911 is not a jumped up VW Beetle anymore...
exactly my thought, amazing scenes

Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Somebody please check Hell. I believe it's frozen over.

And while you are at it, take a look out the window and see if you spot any pigs flying.

This really scares me you know. Something's wrong with the universe.

Last edited by USCCayman; 06-05-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:50 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Actually, I have suspected that he was a closet Porsche lover for a while now.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Condor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud of
He started to really hate them after that Red 997 GT3.1 chewed him up and spat him out.

Although I rate his humour and admire what he has given us.

He is clearly not skilled enough to get on top of a 911 and that's that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New GT3 + Jeremy Clarkson = LOVE