Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Need to see some real 997 GT3 laptimes from Cali and Nevada region

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikesmith
Here times I have seen with good drivers in 997 GT3, not RS...

Laguna Seca on Hoosiers - 1:40.3
Fontuky Roval Full Course - 1:53.2
Big Willow on Michelin Cups - 1:33.XX
another data point, on my 7RS, stock other than pads and seats/harness, R888, 1:38:5 had to lift for sound up the hill

button willow CW config 1 2:07 on V710 996gt3 stock

Last edited by mooty; 06-07-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:18 PM
HKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really niceHKE46Boy is just really nice
Buttonwillow CW13- 2:04
Auto Club Speedway - 1:56
R888

Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Nice stuff coming up from Laguna, it finally gives some props for the GT3.

Here's my story, I LOVE the GT3 and like any sane Porsche lover I want one. For me, all I care for is laptimes, I have zero interest in straightline racing and as long as the car is legal on street so I can drive it and it's not just a tin can (=it should still have some sort of interior), I rate it as pretty decent comfort.

Before those Laguna times were posted I have to say things looked pretty dark for justifying the GT3 (for myself!), as I ran my entirely stock 996TT w slight ECU flash (460hp crank) at 2.00 at BW CW13 and 1.49 at Auto Club Roval, this without using R-comp tires, just a high performance street tire from Hankook.

Then with my improved 996TT (2wd and camber arms + 2way coilovers + GT2 aero + 470hp crank) I ran 1.55 at BW CW13, still not on a semislick or R-comp, so I guess there is another ~3 sec just in tires in the car, even without at GT2 turbo power bump (say 550 crank). Wondering have anyone seen a GT3 do low 1.50s at BW CW13 on R-comp tires? I hope something will come up from this thread. There have been cup cars at BW CW13 doing mid forties if I'm not wrong, so a street GT3 should be able to hit a 1.50 - is this a decent guess or am I out in the blue here? Input appreciated!

I did test a 7.1 GT3 RS at SoW same day as I was there with my 996TT 2WD and drove it a little gentle since it was not my car, I ran 1.22 in that doing 2 laps, vs 1.21 in my own 996TT 2WD (however my brakes were not serviced at the time and I had to keep braking at less than 0.6G recorded with PBox, usually I brake up to 1,4G depending on speed and track temp - at higher speed and flat surface aero resistance increases the speed reduction). If the GT3RS was my own car there was guaranteed and easily a 1.21 or 1.20 in it that day as was likely a 1.19 or 1.18 if I had set the shocks and swaybars for my driving style as well. So I see hope.

I have driven enough of both turbo and n/a models from 964, 993, 996 and 997 to know they are worlds apart in feel and drivetrain character, they are similar in some ways and very different in some ways but very likeable, either a swosch punch and great at handling the power with good chassis, or amazing screaming rpm and nimble and fast, so no lectures needed on how they are different animals, just looking for laptimes other than Nordschleife database for comparison!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
There was a guy here some time ago that posted some videos of himself running 1:36's in his 996 GT3. It had quite a bit of suspension mods I think and he could really drive. Can't remember the screen name though.

Edit: Found the video on youtube. Car was actually relatively stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb-Od3dBZQc

It is of my opinion that a REALLY good/pro driver in a GT3 will set some times that are really hard to beat in a slightly modded Turbo. But it can be done. I'd wager a very good driver in a 997 GT3 could run 1:34's (maybe a tad faster) at Laguna on a tire that's not a true slick. Maybe a R6 or V710.

Thanks buddy! Great input, he's driving very good by the look of it (video can be deceiving) and the engine sound is to die for! Borrowed a Mk1 996 GT3 Clubsport from a teammate for some tourism before I ran the 24H of Nurburgring in 2009, remember that engine sound from blazing down Autobahn on way to Mosel river with the gf (soon to become fiance). A street GT3 actually sounds nicer from the driver's seat than a GT3 Cup (flame suit on but it's a more enjoyable sound in my opinion since it's not drowned in all kinds of track and transmission noise).

Old 06-09-2010, 05:44 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrWhite
Nice stuff coming up from Laguna, it finally gives some props for the GT3.

Here's my story, I LOVE the GT3 and like any sane Porsche lover I want one. For me, all I care for is laptimes, I have zero interest in straightline racing and as long as the car is legal on street so I can drive it and it's not just a tin can (=it should still have some sort of interior), I rate it as pretty decent comfort.

Before those Laguna times were posted I have to say things looked pretty dark for justifying the GT3 (for myself!), as I ran my entirely stock 996TT w slight ECU flash (460hp crank) at 2.00 at BW CW13 and 1.49 at Auto Club Roval, this without using R-comp tires, just a high performance street tire from Hankook.

Then with my improved 996TT (2wd and camber arms + 2way coilovers + GT2 aero + 470hp crank) I ran 1.55 at BW CW13, still not on a semislick or R-comp, so I guess there is another ~3 sec just in tires in the car, even without at GT2 turbo power bump (say 550 crank). Wondering have anyone seen a GT3 do low 1.50s at BW CW13 on R-comp tires? I hope something will come up from this thread. There have been cup cars at BW CW13 doing mid forties if I'm not wrong, so a street GT3 should be able to hit a 1.50 - is this a decent guess or am I out in the blue here? Input appreciated!

I did test a 7.1 GT3 RS at SoW same day as I was there with my 996TT 2WD and drove it a little gentle since it was not my car, I ran 1.22 in that doing 2 laps, vs 1.21 in my own 996TT 2WD (however my brakes were not serviced at the time and I had to keep braking at less than 0.6G recorded with PBox, usually I brake up to 1,4G depending on speed and track temp - at higher speed and flat surface aero resistance increases the speed reduction). If the GT3RS was my own car there was guaranteed and easily a 1.21 or 1.20 in it that day as was likely a 1.19 or 1.18 if I had set the shocks and swaybars for my driving style as well. So I see hope.

I have driven enough of both turbo and n/a models from 964, 993, 996 and 997 to know they are worlds apart in feel and drivetrain character, they are similar in some ways and very different in some ways but very likeable, either a swosch punch and great at handling the power with good chassis, or amazing screaming rpm and nimble and fast, so no lectures needed on how they are different animals, just looking for laptimes other than Nordschleife database for comparison!
I've never seen a street GT3 within 5 seconds of a well driven cup on any track. Are you talking about early/late 996 or 997 Cups. There is a big difference in times depending on which era of cup you are referring to.

As for the GT3 we have several guys over here that have run professional series like World Challenge, Grand-Am, Nurb 24hrs etc. that are at the track with us on a regular basis in modded 996 and 997 GT3's so I completely respect the potentcy of a GT3.

A properly driven street GT3 should be within 7-10 seconds/lap of the fastest Amateur/Semi Pro's in Cups. Don't underestimate unless they are being run hard.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I've never seen a street GT3 within 5 seconds of a well driven cup on any track. Are you talking about early/late 996 or 997 Cups. There is a big difference in times depending on which era of cup you are referring to.

As for the GT3 we have several guys over here that have run professional series like World Challenge, Grand-Am, Nurb 24hrs etc. that are at the track with us on a regular basis in modded 996 and 997 GT3's so I completely respect the potentcy of a GT3.

A properly driven street GT3 should be within 7-10 seconds/lap of the fastest Amateur/Semi Pro's in Cups. Don't underestimate unless they are being run hard.
Headline indicates 997GT3, however a lot of people say 6GT3 is within the second well driven and setup.

Laguna: Best Patron GT3 Cup this year at Laguna ran 1.26 (qualifying), 1.28 (race), least good ran 1.33 in the race. Put 7-10 seconds on the GT3 and you subsequently could see 1.33 - 1.36 which has been referred to a plausible above, in the 6GT3 (video). That'd be a decent reference, again very cool heavychevy that you posted that video! Hope to find references from more tracks now!